At the moment is there any way to google talk with video from pc to nokia n800? or its only n800 to n800 at the moment for video calls?

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ New Jersey, USA
Gizmo is the only way for N800-to-PC video calls at this time.

- Aelam

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Originally Posted by Aelam View Post
Gizmo is the only way for N800-to-PC video calls at this time.

- Aelam
Actually you can do video calls via SIP also with any PC SIP client that supports h.263 or h.263+ video. I'm using Eyebeam with it.

Also you should be able to use any PC Jabber client that supports jingle-video. If one existed that is.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ New Jersey, USA
Thanks for letting me know about using PC SIP clients. Gizmo's video performance was not good (at the PC receiving end from the N800), so I will definitely try alternatives like Eyebeam.

- Aelam

Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
Actually you can do video calls via SIP also with any PC SIP client that supports h.263 or h.263+ video. I'm using Eyebeam with it.

Also you should be able to use any PC Jabber client that supports jingle-video. If one existed that is.

Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post

Is there any way of trying eyebeam before you purchase? I see it costs $45 and wanted to determine the performance before I handed over my money!

Originally Posted by ranasing View Post
Is there any way of trying eyebeam before you purchase? I see it costs $45 and wanted to determine the performance before I handed over my money!
I don't think there is a demo of Eyebeam, but you can try downloading X-Lite from them which is sort of a watered down free version.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Norway
Originally Posted by ranasing View Post
I have Eyebeam Enhanced, but would advise you to try SightSpeeed first.. it works on Mac and PC effortlessly. Not on N800 unfortunately ;-)

mvh

Btw its the iMac version I have..

Last edited by cintra; 2008-01-01 at 16:15.

Originally Posted by cintra View Post
I have Eyebeam Enhanced, but would advise you to try SightSpeeed first.. it works on Mac and PC effortlessly. Not on N800 unfortunately ;-)

mvh

Btw its the iMac version I have..
It looks as though you could attach an N8xx to the Sightspeed network via SIP if you make an extra account there:

http://www.sightspeed.com/index.php?...mid=177#faq286

Also they do support the proper video codecs, so it "should" work between say a N8xx using SIP and a PC using the Sightspeed SIP software.

However the big difference between Sightspeed and Eyebeam is that the Sightspeed software seems to be bound to their service, whereas Eyebeam can connect to any SIP service including a server you run yourself.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Norway
Thanks, that's interesting!

I'll have a look at trying it out in the coming days :-)

Edit: Well I managed to set up a second SIP user on the N800 and after sorting out authentication names, actually made contact!

I can't say the video quality is anything to write home about, we all know the N800's camera spec., but I did receive N800 video on my iMac's Sightspeed app.

Back on the N800 there were moving shapes but I wouldn't call it video.. I can well imagine the N800 doesn't have power enough to handle Sightspeed's quality, and as yet I haven't found a way to reduce the quality..

Still, its a step forward

Edit2: The final status is that I can call the N800 from Sightspeed on the iMac and connect ok, the N800 image appears on Sightspeed within seconds, but it can take half a minute or so for a still image to appear on the N800 from Sightspeed.

Calling from the N800 to Sightspeed connects but clearly something goes wrong with the handshake so the connection is dropped 30 sec later.

"So close and yet so far" ;-)

Last edited by cintra; 2008-01-04 at 18:15. Reason: Some success

Ooh! Could you please tell me how you did it? I've tried entering the settings at http://www.sightspeed.com/index.php?...mid=177#faq286 but it didn't work for me - it keeps saying "Network Error".

These are the settings I've plugged into the N800...

MAIN A/C SETUP PAGE:
- Username: myemail@blah.com
- Password: mypassword
- Use for PSTN calls: checked

(Under Advanced...)
CONNECTION TAB:
- Transport: UDP
- Outgoing proxy: sip.sightspeed.com
- Port: 5060
- Discover public address: checked
- Keep-alive mechanism: Auto
- Keep-alive frequency: 0

AUTHENTICATION TAB:
- Authentication user name: myemail@blah.com (or is this meant to just be "myemail"?)
- Password: mypassword

STUN
Auto-detect STUN: I have tried checking this as well as entering the following details...
STUN server: stun.sightspeed.com
STUN port: 3478

When I dial the person, I've tried dialing person@blah.com as well as person@sip.sightspeed.com

Am I missing something?