In my eyes many people miss the point in the EEE vs N8*0 "war". The EEE is a really small very cheap laptop. The N8*0 is a pocketable addition to your mobilephone. The EEE always needs some sort of bag. The one thing really missing on the N8*0 is a nice PIM. That's it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Noneus For This Useful Post:
Have to agree.

Just give me a good PIM with Outlook sync. and auto dial on the phone through bluetooth etc. and I'm happy.

Zuber

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Czech Republic
I have a sony TZ, which Im guessing is the same size as an Eee, but Im still getting a n810 because it is pocketable. No other reason really. While I have one of the smallest laptops I dont always have it with me because, its still a laptop that you cant aways take with you. An Eee and n810 is two totally different things.

Originally Posted by earl00 View Post
show me any other laptop the size and weight and battery life of the eee thats not over $399 and I'll buy it. it's like saying why buy an n810 when you can buy a oqo model 2 (and yes you can put any flavor of Linux on it) - get my point.

http://www.oqo.com/
In that case, I offer my previous laptop: a Fujitsu P1120. You can get them really cheap now (used) and the specs are similar to the EEE but you get the full 8.9" of screen real estate and its a touchscreen to boot. They are built like tanks and will outlast any EEE "toy." The size is almost identical and so is the speed, or lack of it :0)
Plus it has a PCMCIA card slot, let's see the EEEs... oh wait, it doesn't have one :0(
If you haven't used an EEE sized PC yet, you will be surprised at ow BIG it really is. Sure, it's smaller by far than the boat-anchor 17" widescreen laptops americans gobble up. But it's really not everyday-portable at all, unless you carry a big purse.

Originally Posted by zakeen View Post
I have a sony TZ, which Im guessing is the same size as an Eee, but Im still getting a n810 because it is pocketable. No other reason really. While I have one of the smallest laptops I dont always have it with me because, its still a laptop that you cant aways take with you. An Eee and n810 is two totally different things.
The EEE is smaller than a TZ. But you are right, niether one can fit in a pocket!

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by zeusenergy View Post
Plus it has a PCMCIA card slot, let's see the EEEs... oh wait, it doesn't have one :0(
The Eee has a PCI-Express slot. Unless that rumour they removed the free internal slot from later production batches is true -- I never checked.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Noneus View Post
In my eyes many people miss the point in the EEE vs N8*0 "war". The EEE is a really small very cheap laptop. The N8*0 is a pocketable addition to your mobilephone. The EEE always needs some sort of bag. The one thing really missing on the N8*0 is a nice PIM. That's it.

I've mentioned before that they're simply different classes of machine. But there's one reason why that still leaves the EEE "out in the cold" for me. If I want a laptop, then for less than the price of an EEE, I can get an ubuntu compatible wallmart special. And if I want a laptop, the size of that wallmart special is just fine.

So, why would I get an EEE?

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by Noneus View Post
In my eyes many people miss the point in the EEE vs N8*0 "war". The EEE is a really small very cheap laptop. The N8*0 is a pocketable addition to your mobilephone.
Methinks this may be the most crystal clear explanation of what the N series tablets are, and, I'm suprised Nokia has such a hard time getting this message across.

If people realized that they could choose just about any phone they wanted feature wise and still have all the capabilities of a smartphone (and then some) it would certainly make the purchase easier to justify.

Last edited by greatgazoo; 2007-12-28 at 18:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to greatgazoo For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007
Originally Posted by zeusenergy View Post
In that case, I offer my previous laptop: a Fujitsu P1120. You can get them really cheap now (used) and the specs are similar to the EEE but you get the full 8.9" of screen real estate and its a touchscreen to boot. They are built like tanks and will outlast any EEE "toy." The size is almost identical and so is the speed, or lack of it :0)
If you haven't used an EEE sized PC yet, you will be surprised at ow BIG it really is. Sure, it's smaller by far than the boat-anchor 17" widescreen laptops americans gobble up. But it's really not everyday-portable at all, unless you carry a big purse.
nice try, i got excited for a second. but that thing is bad in many ways - ugly, thick, onboard memory, mini vga port, that ac looks the size of my old 486dx charger. no thanks. my 8GB eee comes with mini PCie slot and the 8GB ssd is swappable.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by greatgazoo View Post
Methinks this may be the most crystal clear explanation of what the N series tablets are, and, I'm suprised Nokia has such a hard time getting this message across.

If people realized that they could choose just about any phone they wanted feature wise and still have all the capabilities of a smartphone (and then some) it would certainly make the purchase easier to justify.
Good point. I have tried to convey to certain people in Nokia that more and more people are looking at the N800 as their "smartphone" device and the phone as its bluetooth modem. Yes, that oversimplifies the situation, but I think this reversal of roles is what the user base is determining. So, as the other post addressed, add a PIM and an N800 + simple bt phone combo is killer.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: