While trying to get kismet to run, I may have stumbled upon the answer. The netlink (libnl) library for this version of Linux may not be entirely compatible with later implementations. I Suspect the same issue preventing me from running kismet properly is also causing problems here.

More later.

Btw - after building kismet from source and running it, these are the errors that come up:

[SERVER] *** KISMET IS SHUTTING DOWN ***
[SERVER] INFO: Closed pcapdump log file 'Kismet-20120218-22-52-18-1.pcapdump', 0
[SERVER] logged.
[SERVER] INFO: Closed netxml log file 'Kismet-20120218-22-52-18-1.netxml', 0 logged.
[SERVER] INFO: Closed nettxt log file 'Kismet-20120218-22-52-18-1.nettxt', 0 logged.
[SERVER] INFO: Closed gpsxml log file 'Kismet-20120218-22-52-18-1.gpsxml', 0 logged.
[SERVER] INFO: Closed alert log file 'Kismet-20120218-22-52-18-1.alert', 0 logged,
[SERVER] INFO: Shutting down plugins...
[SERVER] Shutting down log files...
[SERVER] ERROR: Didn't understand driver 'wl1271_sdio' forinterface 'wlan0', but it
[SERVER] looks like a mac80211 device so Kismet will use the generic options for
[SERVER] it. Please post on the Kismet forum or stop by the IRC channel and
[SERVER] report what driver it was.
[SERVER] ERROR: Source 'wlan0' doesn't have mac80211 support, disabling VAP creation of
[SERVER] default monitor mode VAP
[SERVER] ERROR: Source 'wlan0': channel get ioctl failed 22:Invalid argument
[SERVER] ERROR: Didn't understand driver 'wl1271_sdio' forinterface 'wlan0', but it
[SERVER] looks like a mac80211 device so Kismet will use the generic options for
[SERVER] it. Please post on the Kismet forum or stop by the IRC channel and
[SERVER] report what driver it was.
[SERVER] ERROR: Source 'wlan0' doesn't have mac80211 support, disabling VAP creation of
[SERVER] default monitor mode VAP
[SERVER] ERROR: Source 'wlan0': channel get ioctl failed 22:Invalid argument
[SERVER] WARNING: Kismet changes the configuration of network devices.
[SERVER] In most cases you will need to restart networking for
[SERVER] your interface (varies per distribution/OS, but
[SERVER] usually: /etc/init.d/networking restart
[SERVER]
[SERVER] Kismet exiting.
Spawned Kismet server has exited

*** KISMET CLIENT SHUTTING DOWN. ***
Kismet client exiting.

The Following User Says Thank You to zszabo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Getting closer I feel
I think what we may need to look into is compat and compat-wireless. This is a workaround that David used for wl1251, which is close to our wl1271.
Good thing though, the wl1271 is a newer device, and we might just get this updated to support injection, as opposed to wl1251, which have already been confirmed as super-low priority since it is a old device.
A few posts back, I posted a link to this.
Keep on moving guys

Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Getting closer I feel
I think what we may need to look into is compat and compat-wireless. This is a workaround that David used for wl1251, which is close to our wl1271.
Good thing though, the wl1271 is a newer device, and we might just get this updated to support injection, as opposed to wl1251, which have already been confirmed as super-low priority since it is a old device.
A few posts back, I posted a link to this.
Keep on moving guys

I'm on it. Unfortunately this preliminary finding rules out aegis-mode support:

/src/compat-wireless-2012-02-18 $ make
/home/user/src/compat-wireless-2012-02-18/config.mk:254: "WARNING: CONFIG_CFG80211_WEXT will be deactivated or not working because kernel was compiled with CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT=n. Tools using wext interface like iwconfig will not work. To activate it build your kernel e.g. with CONFIG_LIBIPW=m."

The Following User Says Thank You to zszabo For This Useful Post:
You are right about compat-wireless, though. But as I said, it will require a modified kernel that's cool with wireless extensions. That in turn requires access to the the kernel source with proper patches to bypass aegis.

Originally Posted by zszabo View Post
You are right about compat-wireless, though. But as I said, it will require a modified kernel that's cool with wireless extensions. That in turn requires access to the the kernel source with proper patches to bypass aegis.
Modified kernel (disabled Aegis) is available, not sure if the wireless mod have been set, but the diff (for getting Aegis bypas==root)and kernel sources for pr1.1 is here
http://maemo.cloud-7.de/HARM/N9/openmode_kernel_PR1.1/

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Finland - Home of Nokia & Linux
Somebody could make tutorial how to use that openmode kernel...

The Following User Says Thank You to SaQ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SaQ View Post
Somebody could make tutorial how to use that openmode kernel...
If you refer to how to flash it: Here are instructions.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81579

For usage, not much about it, it just removes Aegis stuff.

@zszabo Any luck with compiling combat-wireless against the (modified) kernel sources?

Still trying to figure out how to incorporate changes (usually done using make menuconfig) which are used to build the final kernel image. Is there a comprehensive wiki that contains this information, specific to Harmattan/Meego? I did figure out how to get make menuconfig to run, but a) I'm not sure the default configuration is the same as what goes into the actual kernel image (and, needless to say, I'm not entirely comfortable with flashing a kernel image that may brick my N9); b) either a number of settings are missing, or configured elsewhere (for example, how would I modify the settings for Netfilter?).