Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
also, please make sure you use

Code:
apt-get --no-install-recommends install <packages>
If you don't use --no-install-recommends, you are probably installing a lot of extra packages that take up unnecessary space.

Not sure if anybody is still interested in old Diablo-related stuff, but I wanted to let everybody know that Libreoffice from wheezy repository installs over latest n8x0-v3c image... and works too

Just a small status update: while libreoffice does work, it can be run only from a chroot terminal, using the debbie command will give you this error : "Error in function createSettingsDocument (elements.cxx).javaldx failed!"
My guess: wrong permission settings... still cool though!

Yep, permission error, deleted /home/user/.libreoffice directory (created on first libreoffice run, right after installation, made the mistake of running it while being root...) and issue "debbie libreoffice" as user in osso-xterm, now working fine
Too bad I lost the initial wheezy customization (but black theme was unreadable on n800 screen anyway!)

Last edited by JustNick; 2011-04-28 at 12:22.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JustNick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 218 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ spain
Still interested like on my girl 22 years after!

HERE in the EasyDebian wiki I read:
Originally Posted by EasyDebian Warning
Those of you familiar with Debian or other similar Linux distributions know that it is very easy to keep the distro up to date by means of the apt-get command. However, there is currently a problem with some of the central Easy Debian apps in the Debian Squeeze repositories (gconf2 in particular). Therefore, it is recommended that for the moment you simply use the image as is. Do not perform a full upgrade (apt-get update is safe, though) when Squeeze (or even Sid) is enabled in /etc/apt/sources.list. This warning will be removed when this issue is resolved.
After the success with libreoffice from wheezy I wanted to try an apt-get upgrade with only Squeeze repository enabled in sources.list (let say I wanted a less hybrid new stable system )... it ended very well indeed: I just lost xkbd focus under LXDE de, but the chroot is still working

Isn't there a single decent maemo application to take screenshots? d'oh!

Last edited by JustNick; 2011-04-28 at 20:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to JustNick For This Useful Post:
I've just reinstalled Easy Debian on my N810 and I have no sound within it. I don't know if I did before; I don't think I had any cause to test it. Is this normal?

I actually have two N810s, one running Community SSU and the other with CSSU plus Diablo Turbo. The CSSU one is running debian-n8x0-v3c.img.ext2 and the DT one is running debian-m5-v3e.img.ext2 (though sound didn't work on that one with v3c either). The results are pretty much the same in both cases.

I've tried the 'debbie, xmms2d -o pulse, debbie lxmusic' initialisation but no luck. The daemon starts, lxmusic loads but clicking 'play' on the music track does nothing but throw up an error from xmms2d. Aqualung crashes out, and the various audio config tools in LXDE appear to show no audio drivers present.

I've tried to apt-get install pulseaudio and alsa (or similar, that's from memory) but that didn't help either.

Am I missing something? Does sound not work on the N810 machines? It would be great if it could be fixed. In other respects I'm very impressed with Easy Debian. It should give my N810s a few more years of useful life.

Last edited by alexc; 2011-09-07 at 03:29.

OK, to answer my own question, because it may help someone else. Using the m5-v3e image, first I went through the steps detailed by qole here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=21719&page=6

Then I had to do the following:

From Maemo:
cp /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_ctl_dsp_ctl.so /tmp
cp /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_alsa_dsp.so /tmp

from ED chroot:
cp /tmp/libasound_module_ctl_dsp_ctl.so /usr/lib/alsa-lib/
cp /tmp/libasound_module_pcm_alsa_dsp.so /usr/lib/alsa-lib/

And sound worked on my N810.

Probably then run alsamixer and/or gnome-alsamixer to change the volume control, and alsactl store to save the settings, though at the time of writing it remains on max volume (perhaps a permissions problem). Just use normal Maemo volume control to quieten it.

The Following User Says Thank You to alexc For This Useful Post:
Incidentally, while the above method gives me sound in lxmusic, tuxpaint, etc., I can't get sound working in GCompris, which I think may be due to a gstreamer issue. I've removed/purged pulseaudio and edited the relevant gconf file for gstreamer to change the audio sink to alsasink, but still no joy.

If anyone can get GCompris working with sound on an N810 under Easy Debian, please let me know as my kids will thank me!

Another self-reply which may help anyone else trying to use Gstreamer apps in Easy Debian.

Using the gst-launch-0.10 from gstreamer-tools I can play .wav files from the command line no problem, but if I play .ogg files (including those supplied with Tuxpaint, which play perfectly from within that program), all I hear is a faint, crackly sound, even with all the volume settings in gnome-alsamixer set to full. It's like listening to SW radio from another continent with the volume down low. The files do play, but badly and quietly.

My solution... erm. Dunno. I have the gstreamer-base-plugins installed, which claims to include OGG support, and the files do actually play, but not properly.

My work-around is probably going to be to convert the GCompris OGG files to WAV format (maybe leaving them with the same filenames so I don't have to edit all of GCompris' python scripts) and hopefully that'll do the trick. I'm not likely to use any other Gstreamer apps so this is a one-off thing.

If anyone knows of a more elegant solution, please let me know.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hi alexc, I confess that it has been quite some time since I last looked, but I'm pretty sure that there's a GCompris in Maemo-extras already, so you don't even need Easy Debian for that.

Hi qole,

True, but the Debian version is newer and I read a note from the packager that the Maemo version was painfully slow.

My ffmpeg-based OGG-to-WAV conversion script seems to have worked, and I now have sound and music in GCompris under ED, so my kids are happy.

Cheers,
Alex

Tags
debian, easy debian, extras-devel, free