Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by specc View Post
The Lumia 610 will bring WP to the masses.
Oh the poor innocent masses! I pity them...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
By the way, I haven't been following MWC closely (too busy).
Can anyone advise whether there was more detail about Meltemi?
Why should there be Meltemi announcements? It's way too early for products.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Why should there be Meltemi announcements? It's way too early for products.
Was hoping there might at least be a bit more detail.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-02-27 at 21:42.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
So you call the N900 a real Linux phone.
Are you asserting it was a flagship phone?

Well, you wouldn't be offering any special insights to anyone there.
The N900 was a real Linux phone. In fact I used that phone for two whole years, I have never used a phone that long. The N9 is sexy and all, but it has kind of lost it's charm on me. There's only so much you can do with it, at least in a practical sense. So all in all it is no better than the N8, and the N8 got more apps and much better camera, and better UI, FM Transmitter, HDMI, USB2go and so on. The N900 was no flagship, it was The Linux phone. Good specs for it's time, but no flagship at all. The 808 got it all. A monster camera, and everything else of the goodies the N8 got.

I kind of like Android also, but I don't like the way all the "flagships" are headed. They are jerking themselves to death with quad cores running 2+ Ghz on 5+ inches displays, for what? Making a note on Facebook or Twitter about the newest shiny and using half of the battery capacity while doing it? It is madness.

The N900 was the first and only real Linux smartphone (so far). The 808 looks to be the last real smartphone for a long time. Nokia is soon all WP. Maybe WP will evolve into a real smartphone OS, maybe not. Maybe it will only die a slow death.

I only got my gut feeling, and it tells me that something cool is brewing over at Samsung/Intel camp

Last edited by specc; 2012-02-27 at 21:06.

Hey you missed my updated post, your quote's not showing it (i always fiddle with my posts, OCD).

Originally Posted by specc View Post
The N900 was a real Linux phone. In fact I used that phone for two whole years, I have never used a phone that long.
Were you banned from here once or just decided to use another u/n?

There's only so much you can do with it, at least in a practical sense.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by that?

and the N8/808 got more apps and much better camera
Agreed there.

FM Transmitter, HDMI, USB2go...
Actually FMTX is still a possibility for N9, far from conclusive though.
No HDMI sadly, but I've found a possibly very handy add-on which I'll post about soon.
USB host-mode seems to have stalled, the devs still won't say anything about progress.

The N900 was no flagship, it was The Linux phone. Good specs for it's time, but no flagship at all.
Def. more open than the N9 in the UI layer (at least for now), not notably more anywhere else.
Open-Mode on N9 (ie. no AEGIS) is achievable by anyone with a little bit of know-how now.
There seems to be little-to-no issues associated w/using it last I checked.
But admittedly my memory is hazy, as I haven't reviewed it all for a while.
Hopefully it'll eventually become more accessible to those who are less technical.

I only got my gut feeling, and it tells me that something cool is brewing over at Samsung/Intel camp
I have a similar suspicion, fingers-crossed.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-02-27 at 21:44.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Ahem. Yes. It does exist. Can you say the same for Harmattan?

Here's a hint. No.
Just a small correction - that ain't no Unity3d - it just uses its structure to simulate a good part of it under (lesser) XNA.

On the other hand - THIS is a good sign of things to come. Also, the game Samurai II: Vengeance is developed using Unity3d and readily available for the N9. Don't have an N9 with me to check the underlying structure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it uses some night build of Unity for the N9.

So, unlike the WP which in its current form will never get Unity, Harmattan just - might!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
Also, the game Samurai II: Vengeance is developed using Unity3d and readily available for the N9.
Crap not available for Australia, so annoying when Nokia does that.
I don't want to be forced to pirate it, I'm happy to pay if it looks good.

So, unlike the WP which in its current form will never get Unity, Harmattan just - might!
Would that change with Apollo?

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-02-28 at 00:12.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Re Samurai II: Vengeance, it appears that it got pulled from the Ovi store atm., so piracy seems the only option... I played it a month ago and it worked quite well, with just an odd bug here and there - I guess they don't deem it ready yet...

As for Unity on Apollo, if it's true that it will support native C/C++ development, then it will probably be ported one way or the other, but whether it will be usable in RL it might depend on other restrictions that Microsoft might impose (namely Marketplace rules and so on). If it still remains in the interpreted .NET/XNA world, the situation would be pretty much the same as it is for WP7.

The Following User Says Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
I recall it coming out very early, it was among the 1st games IIRC.
Recall people demoing it etc, I hope those unity3d games haven't been pulled for the N9.

Yeah native c/c++ is supposedly a feature for WP8x...

not quite N9, definitely (thanksfully >¦-) not wp
but it may well be the next (and last?) NOKIA flagship...
808 PureView
just noticed on gsmarena's news page that the camera interface is not the (current) one from NOKIA Belle.
maybe there is still some juice left in Symbian...
(would be silly to develop a new version for only one device, no?)

btw. from NYTimes the latest nbrs about market shares...
In December, Microsoft’s Windows phones, which are made by Nokia, Samsung and HTC, had only 1.7 percent of the global operating system market.

Phones running Android, Google’s operating system, had 51 percent of the market, followed by Apple, with 24 percent, Nokia’s Symbian with 12 percent, and Research In Motion’s BlackBerry, with 9 percent, according to Strategy Analytics.
doesn't look like wp is getting anywhere, 'xcept to what it is... /dev/null

EDIT: btw, Red / Green button(s) again...
back to the future ?!? ¦-)))))))))))))))))

Last edited by misterc; 2012-02-28 at 00:58. Reason: back to the future?