Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Just did a big mistake

apt-get update

then:

apt-get dist-upgrade

I cannot remember that it got any warning about "remove core UI libs" but it did infact! Now i cannot start my phone damn me :-(

I now this is not the way to upgrade but still it is wierd? could this happen when using fastappmanager too?

I just wonder if this has happened to others? Are the repositorys broken or what? Or have a accidently added some wierd app that have added a virus...

This really makes me curious.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2010-08-16 at 15:29.

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
I have issued those commands recently, and they had no effect. They shouldn't crash your system. Have you changed some other settings or enabled some strange repos (I have extras testing and dev enabled)?

Sounds like someone is heading for flash-land...

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I now this is not the way to upgrade but still it is wierd? could this happen when using fastappmanager too?
With fastappmanager? No. With official app manager? No.

I just wonder if this has happened to others? Are the repositorys broken or what? Or have a accidently added some wierd app that have added a virus...

"I did format C with my win machine and something curious happened". Right. You have all the power on your fingertips and you got pretty "good" lesson about power of this device. Next time stay away from xterm. Sorry if this sounds harsh.

.edit
Sad thing IIRC here is that app ASKS you to confirm what it is going to do.

Last edited by slender; 2010-08-16 at 15:33.

Originally Posted by rmerren View Post
I have issued those commands recently, and they had no effect. They shouldn't crash your system. Have you changed some other settings or enabled some strange repos (I have extras testing and dev enabled)?

Sounds like someone is heading for flash-land...
yup a have extreas-devel on but cant remember that I have added some other wierd repo but not sure...

I now I had installked QT exprimental 4.7 but cant see why this should be a problkem but...

Wierd it is for sure.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
With fastappmanager? No. With official app manager? No.

"I did format C with my win machine and something curious happened". Right. You have all the power on your fingertips and you got pretty "good" lesson about power of this device. Next time stay away from xterm. Sorry if this sounds harsh.
Ooh yeah those great answers with no answers at all, if you now are an expert:

Why on earth should this happen cause you're doing dist-upgrade? And also isn't fastappmanager talking directly to apt-get if I remember right? I dont say I am right just wondering.

I dont blame anyone for my mistakes but when you just answer with a answer like this the problem does'nt make me less curious?

I have done this plenty of times when upgrade linux desktops so I dont see why this even should happen in this case, only reason for it to happen is if there is a PR1.3 pending or similar. Or if I do apt-get --purge remove hildon-desktop or similar.

Or if there is some tweeked repo that I have added and forget it if thats the case it would be great to now so we can warn about that repo because if an external repo or extras-devel do this I see it as an error as long as I dont get a good answer why this could happen

IMHO, There is a difference between buggy apps in extras that can make system unstable and repositorys that totally rips out core UI.

Just did a big mistake

apt-get update

then:

apt-get dist-upgrade

I cannot remember that it got any warning about "remove core UI libs" but it did infact! Now i cannot start my phone damn me :-(

It is possible that an upgrade of a system package is available in one of the repositories you use. Since Nokia chose to have all dependencies by exact version, the solution apt-get finds is to uninstall almost all system packages. If you did not use --force-yes option to apt-get, then apt did give you a (long) list of packages to be removed and asked for confirmation. A safer option is to use upgrade instead of dist-upgrade. This does not allow for removal of packages in order to upgrade version of existing packages.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Why on earth should this happen cause you're doing dist-upgrade?
Because dist-upgrade specifically tells apt to ignore safety and upgrade everything possible, removing any obsoleted/conflicting packages.

And also isn't fastappmanager talking directly to apt-get if I remember right?
It is, but it's only doing install/remove/upgrade so apt should handle conflicts safely.

I have done this plenty of times when upgrade linux desktops so I dont see why this even should happen in this case, only reason for it to happen is if there is a PR1.3 pending or similar. Or if I do apt-get --purge remove hildon-desktop or similar.
With most linux distributions, the repository only deals with a single version of the OS, so all updated packages are "safe" within the scope of that version (and dist-upgrade should do no more than upgrade). In order to update versions, you need to change the repository used, then use dist-upgrade. With the Nokia repositories, the single repository is used for all versions, and updated packages will only normally get pulled in when the master package (mp-fremantle-???-pr) is updated. New versions of packages seem to be uploaded in between though, and using dist-upgrade will cause these to get pulled in, dropping out the conflicting core packages.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
I can confirm the OP's experience. Try
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -s -y dist-upgrade
in the terminal to test. Rob1n notes wots up - pr1.3 stuff perhaps?

Last edited by handaxe; 2010-08-16 at 16:23.

Just did a big mistake

apt-get update

then:

apt-get dist-upgrade

same mistake done here
shud i go for flash with flasher-3.5?

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Another reminder on why dist-upgrade is a bad idea on Maemo.

Normally, they're safe, and a shortcut for apt-get installing held back apps. But iirc the newest PR1.3 with the latest CSSU Testing leaves some qt packages held back (known bug).

Same broken stuff could be happening somewhere else.

So in the meantime, apt-get install <package to be upgraded> to force an update.

IMO, this should also be fixed by CSSU team, apt is definitely NOT supposed to work this way. Deps should always, when possible be => packageversion.