Posts: 298 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
I tried this, and it is so far booting up. I have the desktop, though, and I just wonder when it will finish loading, because this looks awesome so far.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nokia 5700 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
Originally Posted by Nokia 5700 View Post
I tried this, and it is so far booting up. I have the desktop, though, and I just wonder when it will finish loading, because this looks awesome so far.
It takes minutes (5? 10?) to boot-up first time because there are a lot of first-time settings. I didn't record exact time though. Can you please provide more detailed feedback after (or during) it boots using this post as a template:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...9&postcount=19
?

Last edited by int_ua; 2012-03-12 at 21:12.

Ok, post-setup report:
1. Ubuntu messed up my keyboard. No numbers. The Fn key was made into the Alt key, which I guess is its default way of working anyway, but it doesn't work.
2. Dragging windows is weird. It gets stuck on the last point you held somehow. (Hard to explain, actually.)
3. Terminal brought down the system. Single command *boom* framebuffer with error saying:
Code:
bash: no job control in this shell
And then I am told to type exit to reboot, and I pressed Ctrl+D. System is now rebooting. (Aaall the way back through U-Boot...)

Now it is switching between X and the framebuffer. Possibly failing to load LightDM. Great.
I let it do its thing, and after a while, I'm prompted to go to low-level graphics mode, aka safemode. It kicked me right back to the framebuffer... Yay... I will wait and see if it will bring up a GUI soon.

Kubuntu sure was easier than this... At least it let me open Plasma Mobile.

Retrying to boot it right now. It seems like X lied to me...
Same result. LightDM seems to be the culprit in this case, but I have no logs to support my theory...
Has anyone tried auto-login? It could possibly bypass LightDM altogether, but that is not for sure.
Result this time is an all-black screen with nothing on it. Pressing the power button shut the device off as expected. Now, I will try to retrieve logs if possible...

Also, I forgot to mention I'm running r52.

Ok, no logs. All I can find is a couple of logs from apt and dpkg, which are left from the chroot install. Lightdm cleared all logs on shutdown.
However, looking in the homefolder, there are no homefolders for anyone. I guess I need to make a user, and we might get some action going.

REVISION: 52
MICROSD: 8Gb, Class 4
BOOTLOADER: U-Boot built on PR1.3 kernel
OPTIONS:
image: ubuntu-daily/12.04
firmware source: meego
boot parameters: default, no changes
dist-upgrade: yes
selected kernel: 2.6.35-1-n900
additional package: acpid wireless-tools network-manager-gnome wpagui bluez gnome-bluetooth openssh-server nano lshw file bsdmainutils iptables apport man-db

Last edited by Nokia 5700; 2012-03-12 at 22:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nokia 5700 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Guys, AIUI no way this would work at least semi-stable without thumb errata workaround.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Ok, post-setup report:
1. Ubuntu messed up my keyboard. No numbers. The Fn key was made into the Alt key, which I guess is its default way of working anyway, but it doesn't work.
ok, it finally motivated me to find a workaround (to a workaround which is kubuntu-mobile-integration?) it's
Code:
sudo loadkeys /lib/udev/keymaps/nokia-n900-keys.map
( I've used cd to that dir to load it without / ). Addind it to the script.
2. Dragging windows is weird. It gets stuck on the last point you held somehow. (Hard to explain, actually.)
I think I know what you are talking about, but I'm not sure if that's software or hardware bug. Anyone?
Ok, no logs. All I can find is a couple of logs from apt and dpkg, which are left from the chroot install. Lightdm cleared all logs on shutdown.
It's just tmpfs. Comment out /var/log entry in /etc/fstab and you will get all the logs after shutdown
However, looking in the homefolder, there are no homefolders for anyone. I guess I need to make a user, and we might get some action going.
So you didn't see the initial configuration yet? Maybe lightdm is not the problem.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post:
The initial configuration did appear, but I forgot to write that it crashed while configuring the keyboard, and apport tried doing some magic, and it disappeared, leaving me with the pre-desktop environment, which I crashed...

Turns out there is no home folder. Again.
Added it, but somehow the root account made that folder its own homefolder, so pretty much the worst sight ever...
But anyway, I extracted some logs from the now persistent directory:
http://ubuntuone.com/5IJ3pDK1ECM3V1W0l2XMag
It's a tar.gz. I included the logs for LightDM and ConsoleKit, which seem related, and this is also what describes the X error that occurs. Haven't examined it closely, though, as there is a lot of debug info. (Sensitive information removed)
dmesg also carries some of what happened under the crash.

That's all I have for now. Now I have to stabilize my device/do the painful jump back to Power kernel. A bit hard.

Last edited by Nokia 5700; 2012-03-12 at 22:52.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nokia 5700 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Guys, AIUI no way this would work at least semi-stable without thumb errata workaround.
Ok, but it needs recompling half (all?) of the packages, right? Do you have a plan? Any possible solutions (in sh code? )?
What is the exact problem with Thumb2? I can't find it..

The Following User Says Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by int_ua View Post
Ok, but it needs recompling half (all?) of the packages, right? Do you have a plan? Any possible solutions (in sh code? )?
What needs to be recompiled is the kernel with thumb errata workaround enabled (CONFIG_ARM_ERRATA_430973=y) . It does not matter if it is thumb or thumb2 code, once you are switching between arm/thumb mode, you will hit the bug in the chip(without the above errata workaround enabled in kernel).

What is the exact problem with Thumb2? I can't find it..
http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/AR...TA_430973.html

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
REVISION: 53, unchanged
MICROSD: 16 Gb, class 6
BOOTLOADER: U-Boot pr13
OPTIONS:
$ grep $ * | grep -v "fdisk\|microsd"
additional_packages:acpid wireless-tools lubuntu-desktop wpagui mc htop nano lshw file bsdmainutils rfkill powertop iotop man-db
boot_parameters:root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait console=tty0 omapfb.vram=0:2M,1:2M,2:2M mtdoops.mtddev=2 nosplash elevator=noop debug panic=20
dist_upgrade:1
selected_firmware_source:local
selected_image_source:ubuntu-daily
selected_kernel:stock
The screen blanks, slightly flickers for about 5 seconds and the phone reboots after 40-45 seconds (hardware watchdog was disabled using flasher).

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
int_ua, thing boots with Nemo kernel 2.6.37, from "nemo-handset-armv7hl-n900-0.20120120.1.NEMO.2012-02-23.1-mmcblk0p.raw.bz2".

Copied kernel, modules, disregarded initrd.

/etc/bootmenu.d/40-Ubuntu-11-10.item
Code:
ITEM_NAME="Ubuntu Oneiric Ocelot 11.10"
ITEM_KERNEL"ubuntu"
ITEM_CMDLINE="root=/dev/mmcblk0p3 rootflags=data=writeback rootwait console=tty0 omapfb.vram=0:2M,1:2M,2:2M mtdoops.mtddev=2 quiet fastboot nosplash"
ITEM_USEATAG=1
It still floods the console with -110 errors, but it boots.

Forgot to add: Watchdog still enabled, rd mode off.

Last edited by Hurrian; 2012-03-13 at 02:30.