Active Topics

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Bangalore
I know its not something that's supported off the box. But is it possible to use the N8's USB on the go cable with the N9 and mount the drive using something as simple as Fdisk to figure the device out and mount command?

I'm pretty sure its not something that requires any more hardware than the phone already has... Just some more software - (NTFS/FAT partition recognition... perhaps)

I do not have the N8's USB on the Go cable. I'll try to get myself one.

Meanwhile, anyone who does, can you please try this and see if fdisk registers the usb device when attached?

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Bangalore
At most I think it should only require in hardware might be a a power source to power the USB device... if the phone itself is not wired to do that.
Definitely nothing more than that...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by danested View Post
I know its not something that's supported off the box. But is it possible to use the N8's USB on the go cable with the N9 and mount the drive using something as simple as Fdisk to figure the device out and mount command?

I'm pretty sure its not something that requires any more hardware than the phone already has... Just some more software - (NTFS/FAT partition recognition... perhaps)

I do not have the N8's USB on the Go cable. I'll try to get myself one.

Meanwhile, anyone who does, can you please try this and see if fdisk registers the usb device when attached?
OTG can be done, it is somewhat included in current kernel, for at least a few Nokia gadgets, however, USB mass storage is not included in stock kernel. A recomple of kernel would be required, or .ko modules for insmod.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I have transfered files before from my Nokia E6 to N9 & vice versa. The usb on the go works but the other device needs to have usb on the go function. It just needs the hardware, nothing more

But I dont know how to copy/move,etc files using the commands on my N9 to another device, it does not register.

Last edited by eaglehelang; 2012-03-25 at 15:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to eaglehelang For This Useful Post:
Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ New Zealand
I believe there's someone working on a kernel module for that from reading a thread a while back, might take some digging to find it though.

Sorry to burst your bubbles but USB OTG can't be done because there's no USB OTG port.

Try plugging in your USB OTG cable, it won't fit!

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
@recluse seems like you never used N900...sadly

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post: