Originally Posted by gnexus View Post
Update on busybox:
Rock stable so far.
I don't think he tested his version of busybox very thoroughly. On my tablet, package management breaks *UNLESS* you take the maemo patches to busybox. (One of the patches adds a -m flag to tar that's needed by dpkg). No doubt there will be other problems too...

Now to the fun stuff: If you want to test more the more complete busybox functionality, I have packaged alternative busybox binaries based on Nokias builds of busybox 1.4.1 for OS2007 and busybox 1.6.1 for OS2008. The OS2008 deb is attached here. That and other binaries are available at:

http://garage.maemo.org/projects/busybox-test

USE THESE PACAKGES AT YOUR OWN RISK AND DON'T BOTHER UNLESS YOU ARE QUITE PREPARED TO REFLASH THE OS IF SOMETHING BREAKS (I haven't had a problem yet). I have placed replicas of the original nokia binaries on the same project page to allow you to switch back if you need to.

For those who would rather build from source, that's cool too. Just "apt-get source busybox", then copy my changelog and config-deb in the attached debian.zip to the debian folder of the busybox source. (NB: the config deb isn't quite there yet, if you dpkg-buildpackage you will be prompted for a few items). You can also download the sources from the svn at the busybox-test project page, which includes the changelog and config-deb.

Next steps:
* testing
* suggestions on applet choice and associated options
* upgrade to a newer busybox version
* hosting/persuade the maemo team to update busybox in the repo and offer a fully fledged package as an alternative install.

EDITS: various clarifications
Attached Files
File Type: deb busybox_1.6.1.legal-1osso7.max_armel.deb (307.2 KB, 130 views)
File Type: zip debian.zip (12.4 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by cripes; 2008-01-05 at 14:48.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cripes For This Useful Post:
I've also sent a message to the maemo developers list to ask about the feasibility of offering a more complete busybox as an optional drop in replacement for the default one supplied with the OS.

The Following User Says Thank You to cripes For This Useful Post:
Binaries for OS2007 and OS2008 are now hosted at:

http://garage.maemo.org/projects/busybox-test/

to try out the alternative packages download the deb with the appropriate OS version flagged with "ALTERNATE". Note that you cannot uninstall busybox because it would break the system. To get the original busybox back, download the appropriate OS versioned deb flagged with "ORIGINAL".

Sources for both version are checked into the subversion repository (kind of redundant because my changes are minor)

Nokia developers are willing to consider adding more applets to the busybox that ships with the OS (Eero Tamminen asked for a bug report with a detailed request, which I will get to soon). They are most likely to add a handful of core utils because they would rather provide the option to download full versions of non-core utils as separate packages than lock people into limited busybox versions. You can look at the file debian/config-deb in the sources to figure out what is core.

Community help is appreciated. Anyone can help by:
* testing the extra busybox applets to see which ones work well and which ones don't
* listing "must have" applets
* contributing to packaging newer versions busybox or version with different applet mixes
If anyone wants write access to the project repo let me know.

Last edited by cripes; 2008-01-04 at 03:42.

NO!
I've had a total change of attitude after seeing penguinbait's KDE. Since I'm mainly a KDE/RedHat/Fedora developer I've decided to hold back the code for use in an RPM to be published, possibly as part of a partial/full armel distro for the tablets using the new busybox, KDE, and other libraries. We'll see how that works out . . .

Well, that's ambitious

Being an RPM/KDE/Fedora person myself I sorta like the idea, but how practical is it?

An entire distro is a fair bit of work - all those packages to port. Even if you use KDE for the PIM stuff (can't be worse than GPE!) what about the mapping and media things people use?

You could port RPM to the tablet, then package in whatever you feel like? How about dependencies though? I don't think either packager can handle checking the other's database for dependencies can it?

I'm going to set up to dual boot 2008 then try KDE, to see if it's usable, meaning fast enough on my 800. I'd rather like an RPM distro, I'm a lot happier using rpm as it is what I'm used to to package things, but I really dunno there's enough support for an rpm-distro.

Zebee

I just want to add something here:

http://garage.maemo.org/projects/busybox-test/

http://download.yousendit.com/402A661111D20619

File Type: deb busybox_1.6.1.legal-1osso7.max_armel.deb (307.2 KB, 4 views)

busybox 1.6.1 deb for OS2008

I don't think he tested very thoroughly.
None of this is my version!

Mine works fine!

If you use the one referred to above, or any other busybox that is not my binary, then don't blame me if you have problems!

Got it!

Good. . .

--------------------------------------------------------------------

My version is, as referred to in the thread title, 1.10.0svn. and is WAY bigger.

Now, on the other hand, if you see a version called busybox-1.10.0svn.openarmel.armel.deb in some unknown repository, then well, that just might be mine

Also, if ANYONE attempts to repackage the binaries included in the above referred to package: busybox-1.10.0svn.openarmel.armel.deb ( hint, hint , I just want to make certain the package name clear . . . ) as part of a package with a different name, then I will commence legal action against them for copyright ( copyleft? ) infringement.

Specifically, if any binary included in the aforementioned package gets into a different deb [ if it's an rpm I may let it slide ] with OSSO or maemo ( in specific ) or some other distro name as part of the name of the package, then prompt and significant legal action will be taken against the person who created the package, and a DMCA request will be made to the ISP for the repository it is included in to take down the repository until said offending package has be removed from the said repository.

I have not released my source code to anyone, and the binary has markers in the executable.

If, by chance, anyone happens to run across my package, I hope you enjoy it, and I sincerely hope you have no problems with it. It has been tested very well and should work fine. I am currently unprepared, however, to host the package, or respond to questions about it. Therefore, if you do have any questions or issues regarding my package please submit them to the operator of the repository where you obtained it from. They will be forwarded to me, and if there are any issues I will attempt to resolve them and issue a package revision. I am fairly confident, however, that there are no major issues. I am hoping that in the near future I can give more information in regard to additional packages for the armel platform.

gnexus

first: very nice troll. i may as well take the bait

1. if you did not take any of nokia's patches (which you claimed) then busybox won't work with dpkg correctly (have you tried to install anything?)
2. if you had released your package, i wouldn't have wasted all that time creating my own.
3. i'm not nearly so petty to bother copyrighting trivial edits to a config script. i daresay you put more energy into the above post.
4. but if you want to get pedantic, i hope the full sources including your modifications are available with your mysterious package in compliance with the gpl?

happy hacking

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
gnexus, go somewhere else with your drivel.

cripes, thank you so much for making something useful out the seeds of anger and disappointment that gnexus has been sowing.

Originally Posted by cripes View Post
first: very nice troll. i may as well take the bait

1. if you did not take any of nokia's patches (which you claimed) then busybox won't work with dpkg correctly (have you tried to install anything?)
2. if you had released your package, i wouldn't have wasted all that time creating my own.
3. i'm not nearly so petty to bother copyrighting trivial edits to a config script. i daresay you put more energy into the above post.
4. but if you want to get pedantic, i hope the full sources including your modifications are available with your mysterious package in compliance with the gpl?

happy hacking
Hi cripes,
Howdy doo to you too

I'm sorry if you didn't like my last post, but considering the posts above it I felt I had option but to ensure everyone knows that the busybox currently available wasn't mine.

Here's some of my responses to your concerns:

1. I didn't use Nokia's patches at all in 1.10.0svn. That was in the prior versions I made using debian stuff. I simply referenced them and made certain there wasn't anything extra needed. If I actually did use Nokia's diffs then the package wouldn't even be worth releasing. Also, I left the existing dpkg, as there is no need to replace it.

2. I hadn't read this thread to know you were creating a package. I'm too busy with other things to sit here reading this thread. That, and the lack of packaging and a repository are what kept me from releasing the tgz before the necessary infrastructure is in place. I apologize for the fact you went to all the trouble, but don't blame me for it. Had you contacted me via a PM I would have responded.

3. I just want people to know who made the original effort, and that my package is not the other one being referred to. I also want them to know where the package actually belongs, which is not as maemo or osso or in one of those repositories. It is going to be part of a complete separate distro. The source and everything will be in that repository once everything is set up. Besides, to use osso in the package name like some people are doing is incorrect, and in violation of Nokia's copyright since osso is for Nokia's closed source stuff...

4. Since I have not released the package yet I feel there is no reason to make the source available. If the package somehow turns up in a maemo repository somewhere , well that is not my responsibility since I haven't made any debs

Now, instead of me having to respond to posts like this, why don't you just let me get back to coding so we can have some good stuff for these tablets?

Hi cripes,
I'm sorry if you didn't like my last post, but considering the posts above it I felt I had option but to ensure everyone knows that the busybox currently available wasn't mine.
even a cursory read of the thread would have made that clear to anyone.

1. I didn't use Nokia's patches at all in 1.10.0svn. That was in the prior versions I made using debian stuff. I simply referenced them and made certain there wasn't anything extra needed. If I actually did use Nokia's diffs then the package wouldn't even be worth releasing. Also, I left the existing dpkg, as there is no need to replace it.
And that's why your package is broken. You're now just adding ignorance to your arrogance.

2. I hadn't read this thread to know you were creating a package. I'm too busy with other things to sit here reading this thread. That, and the lack of packaging and a repository are what kept me from releasing the tgz before the necessary infrastructure is in place. I apologize for the fact you went to all the trouble, but don't blame me for it. Had you contacted me via a PM I would have responded.
it's easy enough to subscribe to a thread. Your post #15 (http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...5&postcount=15) in reply to my post #14 made it pretty clear you had no plans to make a package available. That's very anti-community and quite frankly, insulting, considering how willing you are to use the work of others.

3. I just want people to know who made the original effort, and that my package is not the other one being referred to. I also want them to know where the package actually belongs [snip]
/bows before the mighty gnexus
do you copyright your bug reports too?

Besides, to use osso in the package name like some people are doing is incorrect, and in violation of Nokia's copyright since osso is for Nokia's closed source stuff...
The deb file name is not the package name. The package name is busybox. Unfortunately, nokia chose to use osso in the version string and make other packages explicitly depend on them. Nothing I can do but use a compatible version string. Given the purpose of the project is to test busybox in order to submit improvement bugs to nokia, I don't think they'll complain too loudly.

Now, instead of me having to respond to posts like this, why don't you just let me get back to coding so we can have some good stuff for these tablets?
Yeah, show us some code. That's all we ever wanted.

I'll be sure to steer clear of both you and your projects in future. I'm also going to start a new thread devoted to testing and improviding busybox packages that are compatible with OS2007 and OS2008 so you no longer have to fear any of my efforts being attributed to you.

Last edited by cripes; 2008-01-05 at 15:32.

Originally Posted by cripes View Post
do you copyright your bug reports too?
and also forum posts.

You've violated their copyright by quoting them in the forums, I would expect to get a call from their lawyer soon.