Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
You and others are now popping up demanding links, and explanation, claiming you're being ignored if you don't get prompt answers, etc. Please take the time to reacquaint yourself with what has been going on.
Woah. I don't think that is fair. If only the current council have been more transparent of their plans then there would be less questions.

Jaffa has been in the council 4 times and has been actively reporting on everything Maemo and MeeGo every week(!) at mwkn.net. Understand that he and a lot others have contributed a lot to make maemo.org the central hub for everything maemo. The thought of fragmenting the community will not just go too well.

Last edited by Reggie; 2012-04-03 at 13:41.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
The talk on this thread is scary. We sound like we want to get fragmented even more than things already are. Personally, I believe SD69 did a wonderful, commendable job, and I support his nomination with absolutely no reserve. With Quim handling matters now, I think let's give him support. As things stand now, we appear to be distrustful of one another.

If we don't become a 'team' at this particular point in time, then we'll be extinct in no time.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Thanks Matti for the explanation. I'm sure that Niels or Henri from Nemein can also come, explain their situation and be reasonable. Just like anybkdy in this thread: if we bother posting here is because we all care.

I encourage anybody interested to stand up and run for the Council election. We have a very interesting time ahead (no idea about the details, but that is for granted). In my opinion, the next 6 months are relevant to define the future of the Maemo community more in the lines of a DieHard classic arcade group or as the first and best step toward the open mobile community that nobody has been able to put together so far. One great thing about this community (which is something I also enjoy at the Qt community) is the curiosity and willingness to discuss and work on several platforms, as long as the free software we love runs on them.

If your motivation to be a Council member is to resist and fight Nokia think it twice. Here it is an invitation to work togetger with the whole commmunity to define the future and the next steps to walk.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
And two little comments:

Someone said that now there is hostility while before... I don't think there is much to be proud about, but I recall times with fierce hostility. Relax, we are well within the usual margins.

I'm taking from Matti the responsibility to be the point of contact with the Council. As Matti has explained, even if Nokia funds Nemein we are not their boss. I'll help solving problems if/when they happen, though. This doesn't make me maemo.org community manager, though. I'm a community member here, and this is not rethoric.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
I really appreciate you are again on board Quim. I'm pretty sure you will help to push things to be done.

Could you please take a look at the Supertester initiative and help us to improve promotion of packages, with further discussion though mailing list.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by qhubekela View Post
The talk on this thread is scary. We sound like we want to get fragmented even more than things already are. Personally, I believe SD69 did a wonderful, commendable job, and I support his nomination with absolutely no reserve. With Quim handling matters now, I think let's give him support. As things stand now, we appear to be distrustful of one another.

If we don't become a 'team' at this particular point in time, then we'll be extinct in no time.
Without a single, overarching purpose, community fragmentation is unavoidable. And that doesn't necessary have to be a "bad" thing either. A profound change in ultimate purpose is often a signal to the community that it's time for each individual to ask what attracted them in the first place.

For me, it was the hardware. Forget cell phones-- I found the idea of a portable full-fledged computer intoxicating. So when as a Nokia engineer I was empowered to help make such a thing successful, I was in hardware heaven.

I came to this community as a bridge between Nokia and a motley collection of enthusiasts. Same with Quim and others. I won't speak for them, but I stayed even after my employment ended because I still believed there was potential in Maemo devices. The shift to MeeGo was a struggle to process but once I bought in, it made sense to see that as the logical place to be. But again, my focus was on hardware. With the N9/N950 being ostensibly orphaned, the most logical place for me to go next was http://opentablets.org to support the Vivaldi. (Note that, as a Nokia Developer Champion, I'm in the unique position of not knowing anything about Meltemi but being forbidden to speculate about it).

It may actually be useful to fragment Maemo resources, directing them where they're determined to be most useful. Or maybe not, depending on events that, unfortunately and ironically, are planned behind closed doors.

Given the current state of uncertainty, community leaders making strong demands or decisions seems premature to me. I realize how crazy that sounds, since the uncertainty has lasted so long. After all I suggested that the exiting council be the one that worked with Nokia on a wind-down or transition plan for this place.

And speaking of places-- for many, the forum is IT. This IS the Maemo community in a very real sense. There's a rich legacy here that isn't easily transported. We knew that going into MeeGo and saw it proven. So I don't expect even the forum at opentablets to be a magic bullet-- but on the other hand, if enough passionate people relocated there, I daresay we could easily replicate the Maemo forum experience. After all, THAT is what made this forum a community: YOU. Collectively.

Participants here need to figure out what Maemo means or meant to them, and what they're looking for now and in the future. That will naturally be answered in many ways, and each individual needs to think about what he/she is looking for here to determine if they're even in the "right" place now and going forward.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Considering recent news, I suggest that at least the required one month extension of the nominations period is enforced.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
It will be.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
And two little comments:

Someone said that now there is hostility while before... I don't think there is much to be proud about, but I recall times with fierce hostility. Relax, we are well within the usual margins.

I'm taking from Matti the responsibility to be the point of contact with the Council. As Matti has explained, even if Nokia funds Nemein we are not their boss. I'll help solving problems if/when they happen, though. This doesn't make me maemo.org community manager, though. I'm a community member here, and this is not rethoric.
Well, you say you are the Council contact from now on, along with being community member. Would you please answer if you are familiar with the current problems regarding the state of maemo repositories, the state of Fremantle CSSU, etc. I am asking, because if you are not, I would ask the Council to enlighten you ASAP, and if you are, would you throw some light on what you plan to do to. kernel-power problem is an example. Single maintainer for CSSU repositories hosted on maemo.org is another.

On the side note - my understanding is (according from your last activities on TMO of course), that Fremantle is no longer considered to be something valuable so everyone should switch to Harmattan, Tizen, Nemo, whatever new shiny technology is out there (or not). Is that correct, or you think Fremantle could live in the years to come if given the appropriate support from the community. But please, don't take my question as being offensive, it think it is really important to be known whether the Nokia contact with Maemo Community and especially the part who owns n900 and does not plan a switch until the lady falls apart, cares about the only OS which is fully functional and problem free (almost) so far on n900.

Last edited by freemangordon; 2012-04-03 at 16:05.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
well said texrat. No point in forcing people behind some project or make them stay or leave. We're all individuals here and make our own decisions. Nothing can be said or done that will please all and magically make all problems go away. But those who stay can do little things - test packages in testing, help other users, improve the wiki, etc. things that we've been doing here for ages already. That part hasn't changed. The thing that has changed is that there's less people doing some of those things. So what I'm saying is that we need to stop banging the panic button and concentrate on those little things to fix the problems one by one here. Moving to a new domain doesn't fix those issues. If the funding stops after this year then the issues here have been already thought and hopefully solved to some extent and furthermore there's no need for the panic button then either. But until it happens focusing on moving away is just a waste of time and energy.

I've thought a bit what I stated in the mailing list earlier (agreed that the council is of no use anymore) and I'm taking what I said back. I do think the council is still relevant and needed but it cannot solve or do all the things by itself (it isn't even supposed to). It's up to the community.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:

Tags
council, election, incommunicado, winding down