Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2010
#161
Hello mzanetti!

First off thanks for writing this app!

I'm having trouble locating the 1.0 release of Xbmcremote. I have the Fremantle extras-devel repository installed on my n900, but the only version being listed on it is 0.7.0, which I currently have installed (but which won't connect for me, hence my trying to upgrade to v1.0)

I even tried to download the .deb here..

http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d...ntle0_i386.deb

But just get an error telling me that the file does not exist. I also tried to get a version at least higher than 0.7.0 from the nokia store here..

http://store.ovi.com/content/200497

Only to have the download button greyed out and a message informing me that it wasn't available for my device :N900.

I apologise in advance if i'm making a silly mistake here, but if anyone could possibly help me out, i'd be very grateful!
 
Posts: 200 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Nov 2009
#162
Originally Posted by EarthRise View Post
I'm having trouble locating the 1.0 release of Xbmcremote. I have the Fremantle extras-devel repository installed on my n900, but the only version being listed on it is 0.7.0, which I currently have installed (but which won't connect for me, hence my trying to upgrade to v1.0)

I even tried to download the .deb here..

http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d...ntle0_i386.deb

But just get an error telling me that the file does not exist. I also tried to get a version at least higher than 0.7.0 from the nokia store here..

http://store.ovi.com/content/200497

Only to have the download button greyed out and a message informing me that it wasn't available for my device :N900.

I apologise in advance if i'm making a silly mistake here, but if anyone could possibly help me out, i'd be very grateful!
Hi,
sorry for the late response. Been away for the Easter holidays.

Weird... even though the maemo packages system has imported the 1.0.0 package, it got already removed again by the housekeeping jobs. I have uploaded another package, lets see if that one makes it. Should be there in a few hours. If not, I will check again today evening.

The package in the Nokia store is only for the N9[50]. The N900 version is distributed through maemo.org.

Thanks for reporting - I would have missed it.
 
Posts: 632 | Thanked: 375 times | Joined on May 2010
#163
Originally Posted by mzanetti View Post
Works fine here. But as discussed on the previous page, it works only for the Library and for directories which directly contain files. Xbmc does not recurse into subdirectories.
Well, it does not seem to work for me - i browse through Music -> Files and choose a folder with mp3s (long press) -> Add to playlist and the playlist stays empty (or becomes empty - if i had anything in it before this operation) - nothing is added to it.

only when selecting add to playlist on a single file it really adds it.

am i doing something wrong?

Another issue which would be great if you could add is to remember the last file browsing folder for both audio/video, so when you choose music/video -> files it takes you back to the last folder you were in last time (even if application was closed and reopened).
 
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
#164
Originally Posted by impeham View Post
Well, it does not seem to work for me - i browse through Music -> Files

[...]

Another issue which would be great if you could add is to remember the last file browsing folder for both audio/video, so when you choose music/video -> files it takes you back to the last folder you were in last time (even if application was closed and reopened).

[...]

am i doing something wrong?
Yes.

You seem to be using XBMC wrong. You need to tell it what kind of media you have in different directories, and then let it scan your media, extracting meta-data it can (e.g. ID3 etc.) and using scapers to match names to content so that it can pull meta-data from websites that provide APIs to do so.

Then, instead of you being limited to browsing content in the directory structure you have used to store the files, you can browse content by many different methods, from XBMC itself, from the uPNP/DLNA sharing it does (e.g. natively in the media player on N900, file manager in N900, from other computers on your network), and easily access it (I assume) from this app.

if you can't browse your music by:
-Artist
-Album
-Genre
-Year
etc., then please go to xbmc.org, and come back when you can.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to buchanmilne For This Useful Post:
Posts: 632 | Thanked: 375 times | Joined on May 2010
#165
Originally Posted by buchanmilne View Post
Yes.

You seem to be using XBMC wrong. You need to tell it what kind of media you have in different directories, and then let it scan your media, extracting meta-data it can (e.g. ID3 etc.) and using scapers to match names to content so that it can pull meta-data from websites that provide APIs to do so.

Then, instead of you being limited to browsing content in the directory structure you have used to store the files, you can browse content by many different methods, from XBMC itself, from the uPNP/DLNA sharing it does (e.g. natively in the media player on N900, file manager in N900, from other computers on your network), and easily access it (I assume) from this app.

if you can't browse your music by:
-Artist
-Album
-Genre
-Year
etc., then please go to xbmc.org, and come back when you can.
browsing by artist/album/genre/year (the scanning media files method) is not good for me since many songs i have do not include correct id3 tags if at all. This is why i am using the folders/files method. All my media files are stored in an organized directory structure and that is the only way i can use it.

Using this method is not "wrong" since folder/files browsing is supported by xbmc - i meant by asking if i'm using it right to the xbmc client itself.

Last edited by impeham; 2012-04-11 at 14:58.
 
Posts: 200 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Nov 2009
#166
While I fully agree with buchanmilne I can also understand impeham's situation.
Xbmc has been designed to be used with a Library. This is a design choice and leads to a huge range of additionally possible features. For example fanart, smart playlists, item details etc are very hard to handle with a filesystem-only based approach. The downside (at a first thought) is that one has to be very disciplined when sorting and maintaining his collection. You can't just drop files into your music folder any more without caring about ID3 tags or trying to maintain playlists by collecting its titles in a folder. Importing old, large music collections most likely just leads to a totally unusable library. It often requires a lot of work to clean up and sort things. However, those downsides turn out to be the actual strength once you have managed to clean up your library.

Because of this design choice, Xbmc will never support the file mode as good as the library mode. That is because its a) very difficult to maintain along with a very advanced library and b) they simply don't have the focus on it.

Impeham, for the slight chance that there is a bug in Xbmcremote, please send me the debug output while running "xbmcremote -d connection,player" and reproducing the problem. But as I have checked this code quite often lately, I fear its simply Xbmc not doing what you expect it to do.

Last edited by mzanetti; 2012-04-11 at 18:47.
 
Posts: 632 | Thanked: 375 times | Joined on May 2010
#167
Thanks - log attached - i copied the exact output of the "add to playlist" button press.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ErrorOnFolderAddToPlaylist.txt (5.2 KB, 45 views)
 
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2010
#168
Originally Posted by mzanetti View Post
Hi,
sorry for the late response. Been away for the Easter holidays.

Weird... even though the maemo packages system has imported the 1.0.0 package, it got already removed again by the housekeeping jobs. I have uploaded another package, lets see if that one makes it. Should be there in a few hours. If not, I will check again today evening.

The package in the Nokia store is only for the N9[50]. The N900 version is distributed through maemo.org.

Thanks for reporting - I would have missed it.
Thanks for reuploading! It works great now an looks great too. I love the volume mapped to the phone's volume buttons
 

The Following User Says Thank You to EarthRise For This Useful Post:
Posts: 835 | Thanked: 769 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
#169
mzanetti please make navigation buttons bigger, having those arrows bigger and a bit further from the dot in the middle would help. The layout could be like below, with arrow buttons using the whole width (480px).



And thanks alot for the update, it works great. I have xbmc configured to auto-start to second screen (tv) while I can still use mouse and kb with main screen
 
Posts: 200 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Nov 2009
#170
Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post
mzanetti please make navigation buttons bigger, having those arrows bigger and a bit further from the dot in the middle would help. The layout could be like below, with arrow buttons using the whole width (480px).
Ok. I left the look of the keyboard as it is, but extended the clickable area of the arrow buttons. This should improve things a lot. Besides that I have added a rumble effect when pressing the button to have some sort of feeling when you press it.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mzanetti For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:43.