Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by midcex View Post
iam cant'n to congifuration this aplication...
What could you not configure?
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

It is great that you have a Wiki for this project; but it has nearly nothing in it.

You have very kindly answered so many of us in this blog, on so many questions about QGVDIAL. But this blog is now monstrous, and a newbie may not have time to read the through the hundreds of posts.

I think it should have notes to get a novice started with QGVDIAL.
For any topic, it should say:
  • what it is for.
  • do I need it.
  • How do I use it. (or at least a web link to somebody's instructions).
Example topics might be:
  • Contacts REFRESH
  • Inbox REFRESH
  • PROXY SERVER
  • Mosquitto
  • DIAL Settings
One I would like to know myself is systems requirements to run QGVDIAL under Windows.
(Does it need a SIP softphone to handle the Telepathy or a TAPI interface driver. etc.)

For Mosquitto: In a great number of posts, you say
Mosquitto is a message broker that implements the MQ Telemetry Transport protocol version 3. MQTT provides a lightweight method of carrying out messaging using a publish/subscribe model.
Which is English to a Linux programmer; broken English to a Windows programmer; but means nothing to the average user.

Now in February 2011, you once said:
What should the average user do with these packages: At this moment, nothing. Don't bother installing them.
This announcement is targeted more towards developers.
If this is still true, then that would be an excellent in your Wiki.

For PROXY SERVER, it could start with:
a proxy server is a server (a computer system or an application) that acts as an intermediary for requests from clients seeking resources from other servers.
And hopefully mention what kind of error message would indicate that a Proxy Server is needed.

For Dial Settings: may be:
"Dial out": the call is placed by calling your Google VoiceMail, and asking it to place the out-going call.
"Dial Back": The Google Voice website is contacted, and it is asked to place the call.
GV website first calls you and then calls the out-going number. And then it connects the two.
"Dial Back" requires a data connection and a voice connection, while "Dial Out" only needs a voice connection.

The Following User Says Thank You to kbyork For This Useful Post:
New build: This one is to get the Symbian and Harmattan versions up to the same level (feature wise) to the Maemo version.
So:
-> Fallback dialout now works in Maemo, Harmattan and Symbian
-> Bunch of QML fixes
-> Introduction of haptic feedback for Harmattan and Symbian

Another build!
The Qt functions to add a list of cookies into a NW request doesn't work correctly across all platforms. This may fix the spurious login problems I've faced every once in a while.
Also fixed: HTTP redirection handling.

Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
Do you want to NOT use your SIM minutes? Do you have a SIP or a Skype account? If yes, then:
1. configure your Google voice to add your SIP or Skype phone number
2. Enable call ID on your SIP/Skype account. This means if you use your SIP account to call someone, that person will be able to see your SIP number and not "unidentified".
3. Restart qgvdial so that it picks up the SIP/Skype number from your Google Voice settings.
4. Set up your SIP/Skype account on your N900
5. Select the SIP account inside qgvdial - either call back or call out.
6. Dial out from qgvdial and it will use the SIP account you selected.
7. No more SIM minutes needed!

This is the way I used qgvdial on my n900 for quite some time.

Thanks I finally am able to do free WIFI calling, I needed to make a sip account and an extention account i followed this guide to the letter and it worked great http://hijinksinc.com/2010/05/24/fre...e-sans-gizmo5/ There is a slight delay when you trigger a call though or someone calls you, but for free i am not complaning. Just combine the steps in the link with uvatbc's steps and you will be set!

The Following User Says Thank You to N900MAN For This Useful Post:
Anyone else having issues signing in with application specific passwords?

I've never used a Google Voice oriented application, but other Apps I've used with my Google Account seem fine. Quick Googling has shown others having issues with Google Voice on other platforms.

Originally Posted by jonnyl View Post
Anyone else having issues signing in with application specific passwords?

I've never used a Google Voice oriented application, but other Apps I've used with my Google Account seem fine. Quick Googling has shown others having issues with Google Voice on other platforms.
What are application specific passwords?

Also: New build!
This build finally fixes a long standing login problem I've been facing. The symptoms were twisted enough:
1. Reboot phone, start qgvdial
2. Make sure uptime of phone and qgvdial is at least a week. Use everything as usual.
3. Quit qgvdial, wait for a week without logging in
4. Login after about 2 weeks and boom. Login partially fails according my logs.

The fix is to clear out the cookies if it ever fails like that and relogin.

Also added: Full update for contacts and inbox by long pressing the refresh button.

I'm sorry if my questions have been answered here before, but I just can't go through 52 pages. I paged through a few and didn't find answers. I did check the Wiki (nearly empty) and the blog (outdated and nothing relevant). So my main question:

Is there documentation anywhere?

More specific:
I'm using the N9, am logged in and get the "Ready" status. I tried placing a call with Dial Settings set to "Dial back: Google Talk". I have my GTalk account setup and expected Google Voice to call my GTalk via data connection (WiFi) and then connect me to the number I dialed. It never rang.
  • How exactly do each of the three options in Dial Settings work? For "Dial back: Google Talk", does the called number have to be on my GTalk contact list?
  • Is there any way to get to my main phone/address book?
  • How does the search feature work? I never seem to be able to find anything - neither contacts on my phone address book, nor contacts on my GTalk account.
  • Do I need a proxy? Or under what circumstances do I need one? What should the settings be?
  • I understand Mosquitto has something to do with push notifications. I looked at their website, but as kbyork said above, that may as well be written in Swahili. How do I use it?

Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
What are application specific passwords?
It's part of Google's 2-step verification mechanism

http://support.google.com/accounts/b...&answer=185833

So applications that don't support this method, you can generate static passwords and use that password to sign in. For example, for Google Mail and Picasa on the N9, I have to use static passwords since the N9s mechanisms don't support 2-step.

The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyl For This Useful Post:
New build: Fix two factor authentication and use QML input boxes instead of native InputBox. This makes the look and feel the same across all platforms.

Also: Deleted inbox items are now removed from view.