Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
One oddity... once I have used an external keyboard, even after it's unplugged the N800 will no longer pop up the on-screen keyboard - I had to reboot to restore it.

Does anyone know how to force the onscreen keyboard to come back?

I called Maplins in Cambridge, and they had sold probably their last one to Speculatrix, but the assistant queried regional stock and told me they had some in Stevenage.

Called Stevenage, and was told that if an item goes EOL then you can't buy it on the internet anymore doh.

Anyway called in got my purchase.

I've not tried a (USB) keyboard yet, but my (Kingston) 2Gb thumb drive works OK.

For newbies like me you need to use the commands mentioned earlier in this thread:

To enable host mode:
$ echo host> /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode

plug something in with fingers crossed.

I got the 'USB device not Supported' message. File Manager opened and off I went.

To set N800 back to OTG mode, do:
$ echo otg > /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode

Cheers!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluepolo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
I did create shell scripts and files for application entries to switch between host and otg modes. Details here:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...0&postcount=12

Ideally it would be best if there was the USB icon in status bar where tapping it would open a menu for enabling host or otg mode, similar to the current behavior to disconnect device if one was attached in host mode. Unfortunately my programming skills are not yet up to that task...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I just called maplin customer dis-services and they checked their store's stock system, only one shop in the UK had one, but when I rang them they couldn't find it! So, seems like we'll have to find a different source. Does anyone recognise the logo in the picture so we could find who makes them?

Originally Posted by Mara View Post
I did create shell scripts and files for application entries to switch between host and otg modes. Details here:

Ideally it would be best if there was the USB icon in status bar where tapping it would open a menu for enabling host or otg mode, similar to the current behavior to disconnect device if one was attached in host mode. Unfortunately my programming skills are not yet up to that task...
It would be even better if it is transparent to the user i.e. that the mode is automatically selected depending on what you plug into it, and that you can change the default behaviour via a settings->usb. Most users probably aren't interested in which 'mode' it is, as long as it works.

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2008-01-02 at 12:59.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
It would be even better if it is transparent to the user i.e. that the mode is automatically selected depending on what you plug into it, and that you can change the default behaviour via a settings->usb screen. Most users aren't interested in what 'mode' it is, as long as it works.
That's how it will work IF both devices are OTG compatible: They will negotiate with each others who will be the host and who the client. But with "legacy" USB devices a hard wired cable/adapter (pins 4 and 5 shorted together) needs to be used or change the mode with software.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
I still have a problem with usb host mode on Nokia N800, my portable disk can't work! Below is what I did.

1. Upgrade OS to 2008
2. install becomeroot
3. sudo gainroot
echo host> /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode
3. use usb cable shipped with the N800 connect my portable disk which has a separate power supply

Nothing Happened!

I opened file manager to check, no "new drivers" appeared, but a "Shared folders". The detailed information about this is:
Name: Nokia N800
Type: other storage
Total size: Unkown
In use: Unkown
Available: Unkown

The "Shared folders" also include two empty folders with name like
"1CEF3A8BFE4D4", something like that

Does some one meet this problem?

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Mara's method of enabling Host and OTG modes is now in the Wiki. Enjoy!

Last edited by EIPI; 2008-01-02 at 17:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Speaking of usb, I just ordered 2 mini usb to micro usb adapters via Amazon. Total including shipping came to about $15. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-micro...9294987&sr=8-2

For those unfamiliar with the N810 yet, these tablets use the micro usb connector. I had an older, full set of adapters that came out before these were common so now my tool kit is once again complete. I'll let you all know how well they work after I get them.

Just use osso-statusbar-cpu and create custom commands calliing your two scripts. Be sure the 2 scripts are included in your /etc/sudoers file, of course.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mplawner For This Useful Post: