Closed Thread
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Tizen hahaha. its plain dead from begining.
I disagree. You have no clue yet. Lets wait and see.

*Sigh... Duplicate posting here. Can we please merge threads

I was reading through the corporate pages and found the published PDFs for the Annual General Meeting. There are several to read through here

This is a proposal for changes of the Board of Directors

PROPOSAL BY THE CORPORATE GOVERNANCE AND NOMINATION COMMITTEE FOR COMPOSITION OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Jorma Ollila, Bengt Holmström and Per Karlsson have informed the Committee that they will no longer be available to serve on the Nokia Board of Directors after the Annual General Meeting. Mr Ollila joined Nokia in 1985 and served as the President and CEO of the company 1992-1999 and Chairman and CEO 1999-2006. He has been Nokia Board member since 1995. Mr Holmström has been Nokia Board member since 1999 and Mr Karlsson has been Nokia Board member since 2002.

The Committee proposes to the Annual General Meeting that the number of Board members be eleven, consistent with the provisions of the Company’s Articles of Association. Based on past experience and the current business situation at the Company, the Committee regards eleven as an appropriate number of directors for the needed diversity in experiences and skills to do the Board’s work effectively.

The Committee proposes that the following current Board members be re-elected as members of the Nokia Board of Directors for a term until the close of the Annual General Meeting 2013: Stephen Elop, Henning Kagermann, Jouko Karvinen, Helge Lund, Isabel Marey-Semper, Dame Marjorie Scardino, Risto Siilasmaa, and Kari Stadigh.

In addition, the Committee proposes that Bruce Brown, Chief Technology Officer, The Procter & Gamble Company, Mårten Mickos, CEO of Eucalyptus Systems, Inc., and Elizabeth Nelson, independent corporate advisor, be elected as members of the Nokia Board of Directors for a term until the close of the Annual General Meeting 2013.

All Board member candidates have been determined to be independent under the rules of the New York Stock Exchange and the Finnish Corporate Governance Code, except Mr Mickos, because of his position as CEO of Eucalyptus Systems, Inc. that has a business relationship with and receives revenue from Nokia Siemens Networks, and Mr Elop because of his position as President and CEO of Nokia.

The Committee's aim is continually to renew the Board to ensure an efficient Board of international professionals with a diverse mix of skills and experience. The Committee considers potential director candidates based on the short-term and long-term needs of the Company and the Board and may retain search firms or advisors to identify director candidates.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I can see ballmer and and two of his buddies at the table... Or Elop is kicked out and sent back to Canada with a lumia up his ***.

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
I disagree with you. They have to shed Symbian as soon as they can. Symbian is dead and only Taliban are buying it. The reason why they are losing money, IS precisely their reliance on Symbian and taking so long to transition to something more viable. Hence Lumia. They need to churn out more Lumias, and if smart, they should work on Meego or whatever as alternative, but I suspect that they dont have money for it.
What are you, crazy? What's with the Taliban thread crapping?
If Nokia garnered 100% of the WP7 market today they'd have a whopping 2% of the smartphone market where they used to have nearly 60%.

Great business strategy.

Any hardware maker that agrees to unilateral exclusivity is doomed.

Symbian is failing. Last I checked NOKIA started selling WP only few months ago. Get your facts straight.
Wrong.

Nokia announced they would abandon Symbian and MeeGo and then started selling WP7 phones. They killed their cash cow (Symbian) with nothing to replace it but an unwanted product.

Killing off Symbian is the direct cause of the 70% drop in China sales.

By analyst estimates (Nokia won't release the real numbers) the N9 outsold all WP phones in Q4 2011 even though it had no access to the US market.

Elop needs to go. Even if you wanted to kill off Symbian and MeeGo you don't announce plans to kill off Symbian and MeeGo until you have sufficient sales in your new line.

What Nokia should have done is added WP and Android to it's offerings, invested in MeeGo as a possible break-out exclusive OS like iOS and continued to support its huge Symbian base. It's called risk mitigation and opportunity readiness.

Symbian is failing. Last I checked NOKIA started selling WP only few months ago. Get your facts straight.
The way Symbian has hung in there over the last 14 months is astonishing considering everything Elop has done to disparage it, even now when it has absolutely no marketing budget and no carrier or retailer support it still outsells NOKIA's WP7 devices which are having an enormous amount of advertising lavished upon them.

Did you notice the market where NOKIA has suffered it's biggest crash is China?

China Mobile (a carrier bigger than all the major carriers in the US COMBINED) had publicly stated their support for MeeGo and were part of the MeeGo working group. China Mobile had publicly committed themselves to offering MeeGo devices to their 650 million subscribers.

When Elop killed MeeGo he effectively gave China Mobile the finger and now he wonders why NOKIA have lost carrier support in China.

Before Elop's crass stupidity NOKIA's smartphone market share in China was around 70%! What is it now?

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
now flop has lumiaman,

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
The way Symbian has hung in there over the last 14 months is astonishing considering everything Elop has done to disparage it, even now when it has absolutely no marketing budget and no carrier or retailer support it still outsells NOKIA's WP7 devices which are having an enormous amount of advertising lavished upon them.

Did you notice the market where NOKIA has suffered it's biggest crash is China?

China Mobile (a carrier bigger than all the major carriers in the US COMBINED) had publicly stated their support for MeeGo and were part of the MeeGo working group. China Mobile had publicly committed themselves to offering MeeGo devices to their 650 million subscribers.

When Elop killed MeeGo he effectively gave China Mobile the finger and now he wonders why NOKIA have lost carrier support in China.

Before Elop's crass stupidity NOKIA's smartphone market share in China was around 70%! What is it now?

Yes genius. Its because Chinese are hip and want Silicon Valley products. Who wants Symbian phones. Have you handled N8....oh my what a dinosaur. Dont blame WP for NOKIA losses. Its all Symbian. Symbian should have been gone long time ago.....it was the pre-Elop incompetency that led to this balance sheet.

Meego, is still a beta OS by every yardstick. It cant compete with iphones and droids. Period. If you want to argue otherwise, you are deceiving yourselves. So NOKIA made a move they had to make. Perhaps its too late. But dont blame WP. WP gave them cash and a sense of direction. Symbian and Meego burned cash and were destined to perish

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ United Kingdom
Yes genius. Its because Chinese are hip and want Silicon Valley products. Who wants Symbian phones. Have you handled N8....oh my what a dinosaur. Dont blame WP for NOKIA losses. Its all Symbian. Symbian should have been gone long time ago.....it was the pre-Elop incompetency that led to this balance sheet.

Meego, is still a beta OS by every yardstick. It cant compete with iphones and droids. Period. If you want to argue otherwise, you are deceiving yourselves. So NOKIA made a move they had to make. Perhaps its too late. But dont blame WP. WP gave them cash and a sense of direction. Symbian and Meego burned cash and were destined to perish
> with verizon backing windows phone, I am now excited, not because want windows phone, but I want to see what and how it will evolve. Its all good.

m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/news/verizon-eyes-microsoft-push-windows-phones-holidays-191604664--sector.html/index?.ts=1334867323&.intl=GB&.lang=en-gb

I think they have a chance but, I'm curious to want to see more now.

Last edited by Ashbeck; 2012-04-19 at 20:44.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Verizon is still CDMA. I mean, seriously? Their support is based on a network that's old hat at the core.

US based carriers will invariably be the end of what's going on with Nokia. The North American sales will not be enough.

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen