Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 1,004 | Thanked: 2,117 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
#11
Originally Posted by dagee04 View Post
What would be nice is to be able to toggle background connections on or off easily
Its already easy from current UI. IMHO Making a button of it would just be plain stupid.
 
Posts: 1,096 | Thanked: 2,085 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
#12
Originally Posted by dagee04 View Post
What would be nice is to be able to toggle background connections on or off easily
You can do it yourself easily. It's easy to do from command-line:

Put background connections off from command-line:

Code:
gconftool-2 -s --type boolean /system/osso/connectivity/network_type/restricted_mode true
Put background connections on:

Code:
gconftool-2 -s --type boolean /system/osso/connectivity/network_type/restricted_mode false
It's easy to make those into scripts, and creating a desktop entry for them. It's a trivial exercise to even create one script that toggles between the values. The current value can be obtained with this:

Code:
gconftool -g /system/osso/connectivity/network_type/restricted
_mode
These are your moushka tools, happy hacking!
__________________
My N9/N950 projects:
 
keflex's Avatar
Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia
#13
The value to this from my perspective would be acting as a workaround to the BT audio issues noted in other threads. According to the Bugzilla entry the performance issues are caused by sporadic WiFi scanning, and disabling WiFi would thus remove the problem.
 
Posts: 148 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Subang Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
#14
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
You can do it yourself easily. It's easy to do from command-line:

Put background connections off from command-line:

Code:
gconftool-2 -s --type boolean /system/osso/connectivity/network_type/restricted_mode true
Put background connections on:

Code:
gconftool-2 -s --type boolean /system/osso/connectivity/network_type/restricted_mode false
It's easy to make those into scripts, and creating a desktop entry for them. It's a trivial exercise to even create one script that toggles between the values. The current value can be obtained with this:

Code:
gconftool -g /system/osso/connectivity/network_type/restricted
_mode
These are your moushka tools, happy hacking!
do i have to emit a signal after toggling it on and off? I have my daemon changing the value via gconf and apps don't really seem to react properly on the change of this configuration value

my code is here https://bitbucket.org/jeffrey04/rest...dater_class.py

EDIT: I am thinking on removing the heartbeat thingy (qsystemalignedtimer?) and subscribe to the event where connection is changed, but don't really know how to do it

EDIT: btw, it is actually sort of possible to automatically turn on/off 'allow background connections' using ajalkane's profilematic app

Last edited by Jeffrey04; 05-16-2012 at 05:46 AM.
 
Posts: 1,096 | Thanked: 2,085 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
#15
Originally Posted by Jeffrey04 View Post
do i have to emit a signal after toggling it on and off? I have my daemon changing the value via gconf and apps don't really seem to react properly on the change of this configuration value

my code is here https://bitbucket.org/jeffrey04/rest...dater_class.py

EDIT: I am thinking on removing the heartbeat thingy (qsystemalignedtimer?) and subscribe to the event where connection is changed, but don't really know how to do it

EDIT: btw, it is actually sort of possible to automatically turn on/off 'allow background connections' using ajalkane's profilematic app
Actually it is not possible with ProfileMatic. The gconf commands I posted above change the setting in the UI, but it has no effect. So what I did to ProfileMatic doesn't work. I have removed it now, but the update is pending on Ovi store.

If you figure out how to do it so that it works, please post. I'm afraid it requires poking something with mce, and it may be blocked by aegis. But I don't even know what should be sent to mce.
__________________
My N9/N950 projects:
 
Posts: 148 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Subang Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
#16
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
Actually it is not possible with ProfileMatic. The gconf commands I posted above change the setting in the UI, but it has no effect. So what I did to ProfileMatic doesn't work. I have removed it now, but the update is pending on Ovi store.

If you figure out how to do it so that it works, please post. I'm afraid it requires poking something with mce, and it may be blocked by aegis. But I don't even know what should be sent to mce.
apparently the same problem, yea, changing the value via gconf doesn't seem to really turn on/off the 'allow background connections' settings
 
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Feb 2012
#17
AFAIK, you can't turn off your WiFi radio, unless you're in flight mode or maybe if you're in power saver. Even though you are not connected to a network, the Nokia N9 searches for available hotspots regularly (I don't know the interval).

To be honest, it's useless to turn off wifi. I've done some testing, and the impact it has on power consumption is shockingly small. Hell, my idle consumption when I'm connected to a wifi network is at 13mA, as opposed to 9mA when not connected.
 
PhatApteryx's Avatar
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New Zealand
#18
Originally Posted by lifeintheblitz View Post
AFAIK, you can't turn off your WiFi radio, unless you're in flight mode or maybe if you're in power saver. Even though you are not connected to a network, the Nokia N9 searches for available hotspots regularly (I don't know the interval).

To be honest, it's useless to turn off wifi. I've done some testing, and the impact it has on power consumption is shockingly small. Hell, my idle consumption when I'm connected to a wifi network is at 13mA, as opposed to 9mA when not connected.
Yes that may well be the case, but if as others already said here, this is what interferes with BT audio, that is exactly why i want to be able to disable... Battery life is not an issue. In my case, i mountainbike using my phone with SportsTracker & playing music via BT ear plus... I dont want to use flight mode but the BT audio gets irritating interruptions...

Anyway, would be nice to disable if possible.
 
Posts: 164 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jun 2012
#19
Sounds like Meego OS is missing the REFREESH WiFi button on wirelles settings, is there any posibility of enabling that...

The other question about wifi is, how to reset or enable WiFi connection over 50m distance, like the N97mini i em able to connect to routers up to 400m.
 
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ South Africa
#20
Guys, I see you are looking for a 'Wireless Switch". You can go to the link: http://my-maemo.com/software/applications.php?fldAuto=1229&faq=32 and get this one. I have installed it a few days back and my N900 battery now lasts about 3 to 5 days!
 
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:43 PM.