Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Maemo is as open source as Android - not 100% in either case.

And to add, the argument about being open source doesn't exactly help Nokia's position at this moment. At best, it's a petty discussion that derails the main conversation that people should be having... what can Nokia do to turn things around.

Fanboys will say Maemo. It never sold in millions upon millions of devices - otherwise this forum would be bigger and a **** load more active. Think XDA.

Android lovers will say that Android should have been an option. I disagree. They would have been an "android also" developer. HTC isn't exactly setting the world afire with their sales.

Bada lovers will have to hush up. Bada's dead basically.

Tizen lovers... well, asking for patience in this part of the game isn't exactly what's recommended.

WP7 lovers... you're also asking for patience for WP8. Elop's had more than a year, this turn of events are seriously bad for Nokia, nothing is looking good for them. They sold 1 million Lumia 900's you say? They used to sell 5 million N95's at their heyday, more than that on other devices.

Meltemi? Symbian rebooted? All of that requires patience. Nothing immediate can save them. Nothing that we know about.

And sorry... open source immediately won't save them. We've never gotten everything fully open from Nokia.

Last edited by gerbick; 2012-04-26 at 16:00.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Open enough is ok with me. And it has to be fully featured, with proper hardware.

Please don't mention that pile of turds a.k.a XDA. I like this place as it is, XDA member have a totally different mindset which is not compatible.

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Open enough is ok with me. And it has to be fully featured, with proper hardware.
But the arguments around here are full-blown "it's fully open or bust" at times. Can't say that I stand behind either fully. As long as I can tweak, alter, customize, build, make and/or own/root/manage my device, I might become a fan.

Please don't mention that pile of turds a.k.a XDA. I like this place as it is, XDA member have a totally different mindset which is not compatible.
Their activity is incredible. Attitudes aside, I've gotten more done via information there than here. That's not saying a lot, that's my personal opinion that supports my experience.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
First thing they need to do is fire Elop!

Second is get a CEO that is a visionary nut with enough charisma to inspire the remaining Nokia developers, partners and users to have hope.

Then they need to recant on the Windows only strategy. If Ballmer doesn't like that, so be it! If they have to renege on pledges made to Microsoft, so be it! Sure, Windows phone can remain part of the strategy, it has to be at this point. But, they need to realize that, save for a few Windows die-hards, most people do not care for Windows on a phone.

People want:

1) Features

2) Apps

3) Games

Provide that now with whatever OS you can, but do not discourage developers telling them their programs are on a dead end platform.

If possible, come up with a cross platform way of producing those apps. Yes, Qt may be the answer. Force Microsoft to accept a Qt compatibility layer! Then make one for Android!

Realize that the N9 is the best thing they have going for them. Look at the warm reception and scores of praise and accolades it has gotten and build on that. That is a pure Nokia product with potential to compete. It just needs to be let loose and a little love from the marketing department. Promise to continue the development of that platform.

Diversify into non-phone devices! How about some tablets and some simple PDA type devices? Believe me, the market is there.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/2...x-replacement/

But they need to start with the first step now!

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Especially how the (anonymous) commenters largely misread the responses given during the interview:

EDIT: those two could have come straight from Lubeman:

Aaand here's the current winner:

Welcome to the real world of multiple opinions. Ultimately the numbers will decide who was right or wrong. Nokia only began selling Lumias. The competition is tough, and I dont see them pushing out anything revolutionary. 41MP camera will not do it. Perhaps battery that lasts 10 days could do it. Perhaps a phone that looks like a gel can do it. Imitating iphone, will not do it.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
"Nokia's transition in its Smart Devices from Symbian-based phones to the Windows-based Lumia devices is proving more challenging than expected given that sales of Symbian-based devices are falling off very quickly while Lumia sales are only ramping up slowly," credit ratings agency Moody's noted in a statement after downgrading Nokia's debt. "

Oh really.......

And whom to blame!? Investors should wakeup!!!

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I'm still using stock--I tend to stick with stock on most of my devices until it's absolutely compelling to switch. I've heard a LOT of people love AOKP. Is it really that good? I haven't tried anything else yet either. I'm just not sure that I want to permanently install Clockwork onto my phone yet. VERY tempted, though. Very. The stock experience has been incredibly good, just the same.
I see no reason why you shouldn't. Clockworkmod makes it pretty much impossible to break your phone. You can do full backup and restore.
AOKP is indeed that good. Some very nice customisations and improvements and included. I recommend it fully. I also recommend kernel flashing.

@gerbick
Android would've been the better choice. I am speculating here...but given the popularity of Android and Nokia's strong brand, they have much better chances than HTC. Maybe even more than Samsung especially with their distribution channels.

Nokia had the ability to dabble in Android and still develop MeeGo. One reason apple is so profitable is that it owns its ecosystem. Google (with respect to Android) is far less profitable as they have no hardware and their ecosystem is all over the map. Had MeeGo taken off Nokia would have been in a position closer to Apple's.

Just a thought.

Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
First thing they need to do is fire Elop!

Second is get a CEO that is a visionary nut with enough charisma to inspire the remaining Nokia developers, partners and users to have hope.

Then they need to recant on the Windows only strategy. If Ballmer doesn't like that, so be it! If they have to renege on pledges made to Microsoft, so be it! Sure, Windows phone can remain part of the strategy, it has to be at this point. But, they need to realize that, save for a few Windows die-hards, most people do not care for Windows on a phone.

People want:

1) Features

2) Apps

3) Games

Provide that now with whatever OS you can, but do not discourage developers telling them their programs are on a dead end platform.

If possible, come up with a cross platform way of producing those apps. Yes, Qt may be the answer. Force Microsoft to accept a Qt compatibility layer! Then make one for Android!

Realize that the N9 is the best thing they have going for them. Look at the warm reception and scores of praise and accolades it has gotten and build on that. That is a pure Nokia product with potential to compete. It just needs to be let loose and a little love from the marketing department. Promise to continue the development of that platform.
It would be great if they enact this strategy, though it would take huge courage from the board. Even though the N9 team may have taken up other roles or left the company, ultimately the source code still exists, and is just waiting and ready to be taken up again as a major project. And it is still relevant because it is still the correct foundation to build upon.

Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
I know that's the politically correct thing to say here, but the N9 is not the best thing Nokia has going. The N9 is good looking, but it is slow and unresponsive, annoyingly unresponsive way too often. Swipe is a nice idea, but in practice it needs lots of improvements to be really good. A blend of swipe and Belle could be a nice thing.

PureView is currently the best thing Nokia has going. But even though I personally wouldn't mind PureView on Symbian at all, Symbian is a dead end platform in free fall at the moment. It would be better for Nokia to make an Android device with PureView. Just think about it, a top end Android, quad core etc with PureView would be a instant hit.

Nokia is soon to release an Apollo device with PureView. That could be a smash hit, but it could also fail miserably.

Tags
backdoors, buysomethinelse, danrantos, goodbye nokia, lumiadork, lumiaturd, nsa_cia_lumia, seasons in sun