Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2010
#1

Decided to make a seperate thread as most users know Minecraft uses libs incompatible with Maemo, and wouldn't give a second glance. Which isn't the case here, since this is a clone written ground up in C++ and irrlicht so it shouldn't be hard for an experienced programmer to port as irrlicht is already ported to ARM (link)

Minetest-c55 Main Page.
I've seen already five posts referring to a port of Minecraft. Isn't about time some progress was made?

Last edited by Soulaxe; 2011-11-23 at 22:06.
 
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2012
#2
UP! This would be really a great port....
 
Posts: 465 | Thanked: 416 times | Joined on Jan 2010
#3
Yeah, Minecraft doesn't support OpenGL ES from what I recall in trying to get it to work.

Minetest would be sweet though, I already think I'd rather play it for the speed over Minecraft, stupid Java.

slaapliedje
 
Posts: 184 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2011
#4
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
Yeah, Minecraft doesn't support OpenGL ES from what I recall in trying to get it to work.

Minetest would be sweet though, I already think I'd rather play it for the speed over Minecraft, stupid Java.

slaapliedje
Do you know library dependencies for minetest?? If they are sattisfied by Maemo thats a cr*pload of work saved
 
Applesaws's Avatar
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2011
#5
Originally Posted by pablocrossa View Post
Do you know library dependencies for minetest?? If they are sattisfied by Maemo thats a cr*pload of work saved
Minetest runs on the Irrlicht engine, which actually has an OpenGL ES renderer as an option. So it is possible for it to run on the N900 (in fact, the Pandora people have gotten it running on their device (but I tried running the Pandora version on the N900 and failed). I briefly attempted porting it myself, using the patched version of Irrlicht that Cloudef on the Pandora forums made here, but it seems as if the N900 initializes an OpenGL surface in a different manner from Pandora, so it does not work (this result I came to after many hours of editing include files and commenting out random bits of code so that it would even compile in the Maemo SDK). After a brief attempt at copy-pasting the EGL surface initialization code from the sample Maemo OpenGL ES app, I gave up (I'm not really a coder).

tl;dr The N900 has all the libraries (in the repos right now, actually(!)), except for the 3D engine it runs on, Irrlicht. It's completely possible to port that to N900, we just need someone with knowledge of how OpenGL ES surface initialization works on N900 to fix that.
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Applesaws For This Useful Post:
www.rzr.online.fr's Avatar
Posts: 988 | Thanked: 869 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ fr/35/rennes
#6
what about harmattan ?
__________________
Notice: my posts are my own words, and unless specified those are not "Maemo Council" position which I am part of or other organization i am belonging to.

Please edit this page to attract attention to Maemo Council to any topic :

http://wiki.maemo.org/Talk:Task:Comm...Q2_2014/Agenda


--

http://rzr.online.fr/q/please# Please support my #MeeGo #HarmattanDev #n9 / #n950club contribs :

http://rzr.online.fr/q/harmattan# Shared Repo over 1K projects .. *update url*
 
Posts: 478 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on Feb 2010
#7
Sounds awesome! Any luck?
 
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2012
#8
Yeah, please since it is possible, port it! It would be awesome! *.*
 
nicolai's Avatar
Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,404 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
#9
Originally Posted by Applesaws View Post
Minetest runs on the Irrlicht engine, which actually has an OpenGL ES renderer as an option. So it is possible for it to run on the N900 (in fact, the Pandora people have gotten it running on their device (but I tried running the Pandora version on the N900 and failed). I briefly attempted porting it myself, using the patched version of Irrlicht that Cloudef on the Pandora forums made here, but it seems as if the N900 initializes an OpenGL surface in a different manner from Pandora, so it does not work (this result I came to after many hours of editing include files and commenting out random bits of code so that it would even compile in the Maemo SDK). After a brief attempt at copy-pasting the EGL surface initialization code from the sample Maemo OpenGL ES app, I gave up (I'm not really a coder).

tl;dr The N900 has all the libraries (in the repos right now, actually(!)), except for the 3D engine it runs on, Irrlicht. It's completely possible to port that to N900, we just need someone with knowledge of how OpenGL ES surface initialization works on N900 to fix that.
I got some irrlicht demos running on the N900. I used
the ogl-es branch from irrlicht svn.
I had to enable the already existing ogles2 driver,
some changes on egl attribs,
link with libGLESv2 instead of libGLES_CM and
I used the system png-library instead of one from irrlicht.
Maybe even more, I am not sure.

If you are still interested, let me know.

nicolai
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Applesaws's Avatar
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2011
#10
Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
I got some irrlicht demos running on the N900. I used
the ogl-es branch from irrlicht svn.
I had to enable the already existing ogles2 driver,
some changes on egl attribs,
link with libGLESv2 instead of libGLES_CM and
I used the system png-library instead of one from irrlicht.
Maybe even more, I am not sure.

If you are still interested, let me know.

nicolai
Sure, I'm interested. Could you post your compiled Irrlicht or tell me what you did to make it work?
 
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:12.