Active Topics

1. my 700 had been connecting to different wifi systems really well, then, suddenly, can't connect to anything.

2. somehow, it decided to turn off all connectivity.

I can't find a means of either resetting the device or enabling connectivity again. Perhaps I've just gone deeply into pudding for brains mode.

Any ideas? please let me know here, or at craig@craigslist.org

thansk!

I was frustrated by the continuous disconnect issue, too, but finally figured it out. Here's what you have to do:

Go into Connection Manager.
- click on Tools - Connectivity Settings
- choose your network as default, and check the Use Without Asking box. Also set the WLAN idle time to Unlimited.

With these settings, you'll still get disconnected from time to time, but it should be transparent to you as the connection will be restablished in the background. Hope this helps.

What I couldn't get the 770 to work, though, is when in Ad Hoc mode. When I connect to my notebook as Ad Hoc, the connection is established, data is exchanged (I see Send and Receive bytes), but the 770 would tell me Network Error when it tries to launch the browser, reader, or Internet radio... Any idea?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Reading of all the connectivity problems, I wonder if the thing I have is maybe not related to my router (as I thought it was) but to the Nokia 770 instead:

I have no problem connecting for the first time, and the connection does not drop while I'm online. I never had this. Not once.

But:
When I disconnect/turn off the unit and re-connect later, I never get past this blinking "W" at the top. It blinks forever, I usually make it go "offline" again manually (although sometimes, I cant even do this. It just ignores my click and blinks on.)

Solution: Either switch off the router and switch it on again or set the router to "WLAN>disabled" and then to "WLAN>enabled". The next connection will work. Usually.

Because of the workaround involving manipulation on the router, I thought the router caused the problem. Now I'm no longer sure. Can it be that the very problem you're describing here has some side effect that causes an WLAN-connection not to be closed properly, thus leaving the router in some undefined state that prevents it from re-connecting?

And: Does anyone else have a problem reconnecting?

Originally Posted by clu1234
What I couldn't get the 770 to work, though, is when in Ad Hoc mode. When I connect to my notebook as Ad Hoc, the connection is established, data is exchanged (I see Send and Receive bytes), but the 770 would tell me Network Error when it tries to launch the browser, reader, or Internet radio... Any idea?
This sounds like a routing problem. Probably the problem is that your router (in other words whatever your notebook is going through to get to the Internet) doesn't have a route back to your 770 via the notebook.

Does that help, or do you need more explanation?

- Neil

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Midlands, UK
Originally Posted by benny1967
And: Does anyone else have a problem reconnecting?
Yes. When I ran my A/P in 802.11g mode with WPA, after I disconnected the 770 from the WLAN (either intentional or accidental) I would /never/ be able to reconnect immediately. It would always take a "Connect"/"Disconnect"/"Connect" cycle to get connectivity back again.

When I dropped the WLAN down to 802.11g/WEP128, this problem disappeared and a reconnect would always work (much more quickly, as well).

It's almost as though some part of the WPA system on the 770 doesn't shutdown properly the first time it disconnects, requiring a disconnect/connect cycle in order for it to get back into a state where it can work again.

I verified this, time and again, with the 770 literally inches from the AP (Belkin AP/RE box with DHCP passthough to the local IpCop server). As mentioned above, the problems totally went away when I reverted to WEP128.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Last edited by jaycee; 2006-04-05 at 12:56. Reason: typo

i also had some reboot-on-packetbursts(especially downloads) problems with WPA that i didn't experience with WEP128 (i have 2 access points at home, one wpa and one wep)

i reported it to the bugzilla (search for WPA) but then a few days later i couldn't reproduce it any more.

also, with WPA the connection need a session of some sort, to authenticate (usign the passphrase) and get the current encryption key (which changes every hour or so, depending on the AP configuration) to encrypt the packets against. then the whole stream is encrypted.
with WEP, you supply that encryption key as 104 bits (=13 ascii or 26 hex chars) and that key is used to encrypt the packet data only. so i think it's quite normal for WEP to be faster. (but wep's not safe)

Last edited by disq; 2006-04-05 at 13:44. Reason: added generic WPA/WEP info

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by jaycee
It would always take a "Connect"/"Disconnect"/"Connect" cycle to get connectivity back again.

When I dropped the WLAN down to 802.11g/WEP128, this problem disappeared and a reconnect would always work (much more quickly, as well).
Mhm... this rings a bell. In the first 2-3 days, I had my router (11b, not 11g) set up with WEP128 until I found out that somebody had played with my firewall settings; this made me switch to WPA. But: I can't remember any connectivity problems in those early "WEP-days", even though I played around with my Nokia 770 more often than I do now. I'll try to confirm that this is a WPA-only problem here when I'm back home.

EDIT: I'm home now an yes, it is a WPA-PSK-only problem. WEP works without any troubles. Thank you, jaycee, for clarifying this detail. It doesn't really help, though, because I'd like to keep WPA on the router.

BTW: "Connect"/"Disconnect"/"Connect" on my 770 does not solve the problem here. That's what I did all the time before I found out I had to reset my router, not the 770.

Last edited by benny1967; 2006-04-05 at 17:37.

Originally Posted by Kevint
Works all over the house with my Netgear DG834G and my neighbours unsecure Belkin

Kevin
seems like this belkin is everywhere

they shud put a giant one in the sky for all of us to use

Originally Posted by clu1234
try changing to Infrasture instead of Ad Hoc