Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Feb 2012
#41
Some people expect too much. I am not insane enough to keep more than a thousand SMS messages in my phone, and expect it to perform as if it only had 1 message to load.
 
Moderator | Posts: 6,127 | Thanked: 5,920 times | Joined on Nov 2011
#42
^ what are you on about? you're using a smartphone, more like a portable computer. even android devices take upto 10k messages in ICS. why shouldnt we expect at least parity on the n9. i've 6k smses yet it works better than my sgs2.
 
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2012
#43
My previous phone was a non-smartphone (SonyEricsson C901) and could handle a total of a few thousand messages (maybe 3-4k) so I expected a smart phone to be able to handle several times more with more memory/CPU.

To the defense of N9 it seems to only be a problem within the same conversation as the others seemed to work flawless. I deleted the specific conversation today and it is a lot more responsive now. Yesterday I had some problems with loosing connection to the mobile network and they also seem to be gone now, don't know if they are related somehow.

The only problem I see with many messages is the indexing, the overall responsiveness of the browsing is not that bad. I do however miss a way to scroll better, it takes quite some time to scroll to the top A way to disable the smartsearch/indexing would be great as I never use it.

My friends using Android (2.3.x) appears to have even more serious problems with the default SMS applications. Reaching about 10k messages it starts to crach, requiring reboot, messages disappearing, etc. But on Android there are alternative applications which can handle large amounts better. Atleast this is my experience after talking to some other heavy SMS users.

Last edited by glyph.se; 04-20-2012 at 06:45 AM.
 
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Hungary
#44
What is smartsearch process id? I would like to kill it, or there is another code to kill it?
 
Posts: 99 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Mar 2011
#45
Originally Posted by Arthuro_Adam View Post
What is smartsearch process id? I would like to kill it, or there is another code to kill it?
Try delete all in /home/user/.smartsearch/ then reboot.
If can't fix just kill smartsearch:
Code:
killall smartsearch
<- do few times...

Last edited by accountvip; 05-05-2012 at 10:30 PM.
 
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Hungary
#46
Originally Posted by accountvip View Post
Try delete all in /home/user/.smartsearch/ then reboot.
If can't fix just kill smartsearch:
Code:
killall smartsearch
<- do few times...
If I delete that folder, any data will be loss?

What smartsearch do exactly?
 
Posts: 99 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Mar 2011
#47
Originally Posted by Arthuro_Adam View Post
If I delete that folder, any data will be loss?

What smartsearch do exactly?
Try kill smartsearch (dont worry, after reboot it work again), then:
- Open Search app.
- Attach file in mail or message.
- Change ringtone from your music.

You will know what smartsearch do and any data will be loss when delete in /.smartsearch/

I was tested, smartsearch not eat CPU any more.
 
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Dec 2010
#48
Hi i have question, my avg idle consumption is 50mA i have connection turned to on. facebook, jabber chat active and email. is there any way that my edited lockscreen takes too much power. here is a photo of my lockscreen. sorry for bad quality
Attached Images
 
 
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Hungary
#49
Originally Posted by accountvip View Post
Try kill smartsearch (dont worry, after reboot it work again), then:
- Open Search app.
- Attach file in mail or message.
- Change ringtone from your music.

You will know what smartsearch do and any data will be loss when delete in /.smartsearch/

I was tested, smartsearch not eat CPU any more.
I checked what you suggest. Searc doesn't work anymore. I killed smartsearch. I hope my battery will be better.

I don't want to delete the folder yet.
 
dumpystig's Avatar
Posts: 464 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK, Northwest
#50
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
^ what are you on about? you're using a smartphone, more like a portable computer. even android devices take upto 10k messages in ICS. why shouldnt we expect at least parity on the n9. i've 6k smses yet it works better than my sgs2.
Forgive my ignorance, but why on earth do you (or anyone else for that matter) want to keep/save thousands of text messages?

And do you keep recordings of all your voice calls too?
 
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:21 PM.