Closed Thread
Thanks, I got hid of it already, but this should be a good app.

It doesn't solve the overall need for multitask, only on the browser, but it sure helps.

And it still has the problem of lack of real software........ I will wait for w8 x86 tablets.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Originally Posted by jotoco View Post
Things like Office, AutoCAD, true Multi-task, true and good file explorer, keyboard support, mouse support, file transfer freedom (it's absurd I need to list this... both Android and iOS need third-party apps to do it....), more than SD memory support (real Hard Drive with multiple tens of gigs) and stuff.
I guess nor ARM processor, nor screen of tablet nor UX (mainly) is not ready or suitable for AutoCAD. May be tablet is suitable for showing dwg or svg, but editing ...hmm, no. I guess in your case kinda ultrabook still is the tool.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
If Nokia launches a x86 win8 tablet I will probably buy it over other makers. If it is just another ARM toy, then I won't bother.
Given that Nokia has a long time experience with ARM hardware, it will most likely be an ARM toy with Win8 RT (Windows with Metro apps only, no desktop). Metro apps will likely multitask on Windows 8 (ARM and x86) the same way they do on WP 7, i.e. not at all. The Windows 8 Consumer Preview clearly shows this already.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I bought an Android Galaxy Tab thinking it would be a productive tool. I though wrong and it is a mere toy. My old symbian phones are more akin to a productive tool than any Android tablet out there.
Truly matters on what you call "productive". For instance, I have a Xoom, it's overclocked to 1.6ghz, I use it to run scripts and manage my servers via SSH, send/edit MS Office documents while traveling or when I'm just being a lazy bastard and don't want to open the laptop.

It lacks TOO MUCH. Multitask, outlook integration a decent office tool, a lack of a decent Cad app (it has to convert through AutoDesk website, I don't have high speed internet in the middle of a construction site), lack of decent word editing software.
When you say "outlook integration", I assume you mean MS Exchange. It's not missing at all and I'm using it. If you're on Gingerbread, that might be a different situation than ICS, but I recall it being there on my Motorola Atrix too.

CAD App... I work with engineers. AndCAD is their choice. I cannot speak to how well it integrates into their Autodesk AutoCAD workflow; however Autodesk has products (mostly viewers) that work flawless with their polyline and arc based dxf/dwg drawings.

Lack of high speed internet access, tether to your N900/N9 - I used to do that. And OfficeSuite Pro and/or Quick Office Pro HD (I have both, no real advantage to either) can open MS Office 2007/2010 products without issue - only Visio is missing for me.

I get what you're saying, but I'd have to say that you didn't do enough research; no disrespect meant btw.

It is but a toy. for games and videos and webbrowsing.
In the car, the games keep my son quiet. Trust me, I really call that a blessing sometimes. But I do work on my tablet mostly.

iPad is no different. The lack of multi-tasking just kill it for me.
Okay, here's one issue we're going to have to disagree with. I get that multi-tasking is important with folks here. Don't disagree actually. But what I do have a problem with... on the tablet format, none of them really do effective multitasking on a touch based UI. It just... doesn't exist in tablets.

And no, Harmattan nor Maemo 5 are on a tablet screen that's 7 or 10 inches big as of yet. So pointing to the N9, which is multi-tasking on a smaller screen. Yet I can open an e-mail, switch to a browser, switch to my ssh session, switch back to my e-mail, send it off with an MS Office attachment without issue. This lack of multi-tasking mantra needs to be better defined around here. It's tossed around like we're comparing to desktop multi-tasking.

You will never be happy in that area on a tablet form that's not a PC based OS.

For example, on Android, If I load a video on Youtube and then decide I need to adjust brightness
Again, which version of Android are you using? I can adjust volume, wi-fi, bluetooth and brightness without leaving an app - lower right alongside clock, I can edit all of that and stay in the app of choice. But this is ICS.

If Nokia launches a x86 win8 tablet I will probably buy it over other makers. If it is just another ARM toy, then I won't bother.
I'd suggest doing more research into Win8 on tablets. Serial tasking, lack of common controls on the desktop, lack of 3rd party browsers on ARM based tablets - MS is blocking them all out - and a slew of other limitations will make the Win8 experience on ARM more like your Android experience you've described above.

Originally Posted by corbas View Post
I guess nor ARM processor, nor screen of tablet nor UX (mainly) is not ready or suitable for AutoCAD. May be tablet is suitable for showing dwg or svg, but editing ...hmm, no. I guess in your case kinda ultrabook still is the tool.
Even for viewing.

For example, I couldn't (and can't) plug an Android (or iOS) tablet to my PC (or wifi into my network) and grab my projects and simply open then for viewing purposes.

I need to either email then to me (beyond stupid), and then download the converted project from autodesk somewhat automatically. OR send it over to Autodesk and download the converted files.

Both are impractical, and slow. Even if I just view then, everytime there is a change in a project I need to do that again. And to do that with over 400 or 500 projects takes many many hours. And usually these Tablets do not have enough memory to store that much information.

And I can't just select everything and tell it to update. It won't do that and only support 10 files at a time.

I can't set up some kind of SVN or stuff.

If a Linux handheld (like a n900 or n9) had support for cad I'm pretty sure I would be able to set up a SVN to automatically update my projects.

On a x86 windows environment, I'm sure I can do that. If win8 supports everything that win7 supports (on a x86 processor) I will be very happy.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Given that Nokia has a long time experience with ARM hardware, it will most likely be an ARM toy with Win8 RT (Windows with Metro apps only, no desktop). Metro apps will likely multitask on Windows 8 (ARM and x86) the same way they do on WP 7, i.e. not at all. The Windows 8 Consumer Preview clearly shows this already.
Nokia had a project with Intel based chips, you know.....

For example, I couldn't (and can't) plug an Android (or iOS) tablet to my PC (or wifi into my network) and grab my projects and simply open then for viewing purposes.
Android supports USB transfers/USB mass storage - simply mount the device.

Can't speak to SVN since I use Github, but all-in-all, I transfer my files via wifi (Websharing) or just plug the thing up to the machine that has the information I want.

AutoCAD WS supports viewing and editing btw. Just had a convo with an engineer a few moments ago.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
When you say "outlook integration", I assume you mean MS Exchange. It's not missing at all and I'm using it. If you're on Gingerbread, that might be a different situation than ICS, but I recall it being there on my Motorola Atrix too.
I really meant outlook integration. Like with Symbian where I can sync emails directly with my outlook on my workstation/notebook. Either through bluetooth or USB (I guess it is possible with wifi, but I don't know how).

I don't have the luxury of keeping emails on the webserver, because my company uses an ancient email provider which only has like 50mb inbox. I could set up a better one on a weekend, but go figure it out, business decisions are like this.

CAD App... I work with engineers. AndCAD is their choice. I cannot speak to how well it integrates into their Autodesk AutoCAD workflow; however Autodesk has products (mostly viewers) that work flawless with their polyline and arc based dxf/dwg drawings.
It does work, but see my post above to understand why I couldn't use it. Having to process it through AutoDesk servers and back, and the methods available to do that kill it's functionality for me.

Lack of high speed internet access, tether to your N900/N9 - I used to do that. And OfficeSuite Pro and/or Quick Office Pro HD (I have both, no real advantage to either) can open MS Office 2007/2010 products without issue - only Visio is missing for me.
I could, only I'm not using my n900 (broken USB again) and my E6 can only tether through infrastructure, which I wasn't able to make work on my verizon locked galaxy tab. Tried multiple drivers and none worked. This lack of functionality irks me. And, even then, 3G speeds aren't really high, and inside the building the signal is much too weak to get a reasonable connection.

In the car, the games keep my son quiet. Trust me, I really call that a blessing sometimes. But I do work on my tablet mostly.
Agreed, it is a toy, like I said. And as a toy it excels.

Okay, here's one issue we're going to have to disagree with. I get that multi-tasking is important with folks here. Don't disagree actually. But what I do have a problem with... on the tablet format, none of them really do effective multitasking on a touch based UI. It just... doesn't exist in tablets.

And no, Harmattan nor Maemo 5 are on a tablet screen that's 7 or 10 inches big as of yet. So pointing to the N9, which is multi-tasking on a smaller screen. Yet I can open an e-mail, switch to a browser, switch to my ssh session, switch back to my e-mail, send it off with an MS Office attachment without issue. This lack of multi-tasking mantra needs to be better defined around here. It's tossed around like we're comparing to desktop multi-tasking.
Well... I do like to work with multiple monitors and frequently have:
3~5 CAD projects open;
1 Excel spreadsheet;
1 Adobe Document;
1 Outlook mailbox + 1 email open;
1 Word document;
4~6 explorer folders;
1 browser.

And alternate heavily between all this. I know I won't be able to do this on a tablet. But if I could open a couple of projects, email, spreadsheet and a browser at the same time I would be happy. I know that if there was enough processing power/memory and a CAD app my n900 could do it.

You will never be happy in that area on a tablet form that's not a PC based OS.
This I know for a fact know. The n900 spoiled me.

Again, which version of Android are you using? I can adjust volume, wi-fi, bluetooth and brightness without leaving an app - lower right alongside clock, I can edit all of that and stay in the app of choice. But this is ICS.
2.5 something. This is another huge problem of Android (that is not present on iOS). Fragmentation. There is no uniform presentation or usability or experience.

I can buy a Dell, HP, Sony, Asus PC and expect similar experience. I can't buy a Samsung, Sony, Asus Tablet and expect similar experiences. And even in the same manufacturer a couple months difference in launch time may mean that you're a major version behind and will never get to the same version.

I'd suggest doing more research into Win8 on tablets. Serial tasking, lack of common controls on the desktop, lack of 3rd party browsers on ARM based tablets - MS is blocking them all out - and a slew of other limitations will make the Win8 experience on ARM more like your Android experience you've described above.
If this is true for x86 w8 I wonder if I can use a USB drive to install win7 and cram a touch layer on top of it? If not, could I do this to install a linux OS? If not, will they take my refund?

There is no 2.5 version. Perhaps you meant 2.3.5? That would be Gingerbread.

Win7 has tablet controls built-in, btw.

And your Outlook situation sounds like a rather esoteric/rare/anachronistic setup. For once, I'd suggest using Google Apps for your company instead of that setup.

Android supports USB transfers/USB mass storage - simply mount the device.

Can't speak to SVN since I use Github, but all-in-all, I transfer my files via wifi (Websharing) or just plug the thing up to the machine that has the information I want.

AutoCAD WS supports viewing and editing btw. Just had a convo with an engineer a few moments ago.
I know. But I can't use these on CAD archives. The CAD files need to pass some kind of processing on the servers before it is useful. And to my dismay I couldn't simply point to a .DWG (cad file) file in memory and expect it to send it, process and bring me back the compatible version.

I had to do it through email or desktop. And it was a PAIN IN THE ***, slow and unproductive.

About the editing option, the problem is that I had to do the backwards server compatibilization. Send the Tablet version of the CAD project to the server, have it processed and then download the .dwg file for my computer. PAIN IN THE ***.

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen