Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
This entire discussion is getting quite old in the tooth. Every second thread just ends as another rehash.
To put it another way?

You have to admit, though.. with Maemo dead and no new devices and with Nokia effectively putting a stop to anything interesting to this community, there's not a whole lot else to talk about except how we got here and where things are headed. ...Repeatedly talking about it.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Lighting your own platform on fire to avoid peeing your pants... That never gets old.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
If Nokia wants to see their shares go up they should go back to selling rubber boots. I mean with global warming, rising tides, etc. I know, not funny, but true.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ New Zealand
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
NOKIA is not software company. Period.
Wow really? That's a bit like saying Microsoft isn't a software company because they make the Xbox, let's just ignore how Nokia reached it's peak shall we, it was obviously hardware alone that got them to that position, hardware that magically works with no software, fairies were behind Symbian and then Maemo/Meego all along.
You might want to send that burning developer memo to what's left of the Nokia devs as well since they missed that one, they were imagining their jobs all along.

Between this and all the ridiculous Taliban comments, I have to quote the great Frankie Boyle, you constantly remind me of this......

That's the sort of news that makes me think they should cancel the X-Factor, pump poison gas in to all public buildings and just restart the country from scratch.

Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ New Zealand
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
To put it another way?

You have to admit, though.. with Maemo dead and no new devices and with Nokia effectively putting a stop to anything interesting to this community, there's not a whole lot else to talk about except how we got here and where things are headed. ...Repeatedly talking about it.
Speaking of how we got here, and repeatedly talking about it, here's the Forbes article cBeam was alluding to if anyone else wants to see it.
Oops! Five CEOs Who Should Have Already Been Fired (Cisco, GE, WalMart, Sears, Microsoft)

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
You heard it from Lumiaman! Open up all that source code you aren't keeping close to the vest, Nokia! You're NOT a software company! Stop with all that softwaring and give it to the community!

Originally Posted by HanzBlix View Post
Speaking of how we got here, and repeatedly talking about it, here's the Forbes article cBeam was alluding to if anyone else wants to see it.
Oops! Five CEOs Who Should Have Already Been Fired (Cisco, GE, WalMart, Sears, Microsoft)
To continue the theme of beating a dead horse, the best and most relevant thing said in the article:
"So today Microsoft, after dumping Zune, dumping its tablet, dumping Windows CE and other mobile products, is still the same company Mr. Ballmer took control over a decade ago. Microsoft is PC company, nothing more, as demand for PCs shifts to mobile. Years late to market, he has bet the company on Windows 8 – as well as the future of Dell, HP, Nokia and others. An insane bet for any CEO – and one that would have been avoided entirely had the Microsoft Board replaced Mr. Ballmer years ago with a CEO that understands the fast pace of technology shifts and would have kept Microsoft current with market trends."
Well said, Adam Hartung. Well said.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
You heard it from Lumiaman! Open up all that source code you aren't keeping close to the vest, Nokia! You're NOT a software company! Stop with all that softwaring and give it to the community!

To continue the theme of beating a dead horse, the best and most relevant thing said in the article:
"So today Microsoft, after dumping Zune, dumping its tablet, dumping Windows CE and other mobile products, is still the same company Mr. Ballmer took control over a decade ago. Microsoft is PC company, nothing more, as demand for PCs shifts to mobile. Years late to market, he has bet the company on Windows 8 – as well as the future of Dell, HP, Nokia and others. An insane bet for any CEO – and one that would have been avoided entirely had the Microsoft Board replaced Mr. Ballmer years ago with a CEO that understands the fast pace of technology shifts and would have kept Microsoft current with market trends."
Well said, Adam Hartung. Well said.
He is just stating the obvious by scratching the surface, he is not telling anything, it is just a rant. The PC business is still a lucrative business for MS. Just because a new industry emerges doesn't mean the "old" industry is not lucrative anymore. When "everyone else" jumps on the mobile bandwagon, this means that MS's position within PC is strengthen even further.

What should frighten Ballmer, is that the mobile industry starts eating into the PC industry. What is the best strategy fighting that? Throw away everything and go mobile, or try to strengthen your existing technology and grip on the market?

If the soon to come future is a world where a phone has all the computing power you need, then MS is in trouble. But what is the chances of this kind of future? In the future we will see more computers, not less. Just because a phone can do most of the things you need today, doesn't mean that a more powerful device can do much more, and do things that are impossible today.

Personally I think that mobile devices will take over most of the everyday needs. This has more or less happened already. But gaming for instance. This requires a big screen, a huge sound system, input devices etc etc.

I think Android will take over for MS. They will take over the traditional PC. They will do this, not because they are good in mobile devices, but because they will make better PC solutions than MS could ever do. Deep down I think Ballmer knows this, and I think he knows that there is nothing MS can do to prevent it. They can give them a good fight, that's all.

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
That hardware company was still able to make much advanced mobile OS than Microsoft

Let's wait few years if WP catches up Harmattan OS. If WP users are lucky enough, they might even get a skype client that works!

Originally Posted by zimmerit View Post
That hardware company was still able to make much advanced mobile OS than Microsoft

Let's wait few years if WP catches up Harmattan OS. If WP users are lucky enough, they might even get a skype client that works!
if us WP users are lucky enough we might even get a 4th button that when pressed shoots poison darts into our eyes so we can't look at other phones and wish we had them.

In all honesty, the only people that like my lumia is girls, however they won't buy one because all the guys they know have BBM.

So I can't see the lumia being to good with my generation (just turned 18). Which is we're they needed to target to get their brand recognition back.

Just from over hearing things the general views are

BB, break way to easy, but have BBM
Android, slow and sluggish on older models, however people love the amount of apps and think that bigger is better. Oh and they all think its better than IOS because its UI is intuitive
Apple, this is regarded as the snob phone. People who have these are the ones that care too much about their image, or are for parents that aren't great with technology.
Nokia, good cameras, old, outdated. Only buy them if you want a phone that is just a phone.
If you bring up n9 they just try to justify buying there phone (like everyone would), bring up n900 they all say 'you mean your old block phone? Yeah that was pretty amazing'

Maybe you should take a read of the next working generations views before you commit to buying Nokia stocks. It seems pretty bleak, and it was already dismal before that.

Also, if anyone foolishly wants to trade an n9 for my lumia then let me know.

Originally Posted by xRobby View Post
if us WP users are lucky enough we might even get a 4th button that when pressed shoots poison darts into our eyes so we can't look at other phones and wish we had them.

In all honesty, the only people that like my lumia is girls, however they won't buy one because all the guys they know have BBM.

So I can't see the lumia being to good with my generation (just turned 18). Which is we're they needed to target to get their brand recognition back.

Just from over hearing things the general views are

BB, break way to easy, but have BBM
Android, slow and sluggish on older models, however people love the amount of apps and think that bigger is better. Oh and they all think its better than IOS because its UI is intuitive
Apple, this is regarded as the snob phone. People who have these are the ones that care too much about their image, or are for parents that aren't great with technology.
Nokia, good cameras, old, outdated. Only buy them if you want a phone that is just a phone.
If you bring up n9 they just try to justify buying there phone (like everyone would), bring up n900 they all say 'you mean your old block phone? Yeah that was pretty amazing'

Maybe you should take a read of the next working generations views before you commit to buying Nokia stocks. It seems pretty bleak, and it was already dismal before that.

Also, if anyone foolishly wants to trade an n9 for my lumia then let me know.
IMO the mobile world changed when he iPhone came.

Pre iPhone: Everyone used dumb phones. Nokia was quality. (Sony) Ericsson was design. Samsung was junk along with other junk. All of the phones were easy to use. Smartphones was for geeks and enthusiasts.

Post iPhone: Everybody "needs" a smartphone, but smartphones has changed meaning to apps and facebook - phone. Dumb phones are still popular, cheap and simple and solid.

Today: Nokia is gone. Samsung is the new Nokia. Android is the new Symbian. iPhone is the new top of the line dumb phone. Android is both geeky and for the masses.

That is the main thing. The mobile world is a different one, and Nokia is lost in it.

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen