Notices

im not sure if i did it right.

i got step 1 but step 2 took a bit to comprehend i went to /usr/local/lib/emelfm2 i didnt know what you meant by "if not being run by root" i was running root emelfm2 to edit the file in the first place. but i put the code in to the script. i saved and rebooted my n810 and then i ran emelfm2 again and well so far i just have had to delete some things which i am able to do now. but the emelfm2 i am running doesnt look like the emelfm2 i would be running while in root. (gui looks like the normal one). so im still unsure if i have done it right.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Seattle,WA
Originally Posted by kurupted View Post
but the emelfm2 i am running doesnt look like the emelfm2 i would be running while in root. (gui looks like the normal one). so im still unsure if i have done it right.
I see that too (different GUI appearance if run as 'root' or 'user'). It's probably due to different configurations stored in each users' home directory. But I haven't bothered to look into it yet.

As for the script, it needs to check to see if 'root' is running it, because the 'sudo' doesn't work (emelfm2 doesn't run) if run by 'root'. I just went around the problem, because I'm not familiar enough with sudo to know how to resolve it.

Thanks for info, after seeing emel script i realized i wanted this too.

Since this gives emelfm2 power to let you mess up your system, i'd only recommend for advanced users, but you can also do this :

Edit (as root) /etc/sudoers and add :
user ALL = (ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL (if you want user 'user' to sudo anything) -or-
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/emelfm2 (minimum i think... didnt test)

Then edit (as root), the /usr/share/applications/hildon/emelfm2.desktop and set the exec line to read :
Exec=sudo /usr/bin/emelfm2

That should launch emelfm2 as root.

Edit : Fixed sudo line as pointed out by qwerty12 below

Last edited by pipeline; 2008-04-23 at 11:08.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Sorry for the bump but this is urgent.

I can tell that you didn't test the sudoers line:
user ALL = NOPASSWD: run-standalone.sh /usr/bin/emelfm2

because it should be :
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/run-standalone.sh /usr/bin/emelfm2

If it doesn't have usr/bin; then sudo is f*****. It will not run any program that needs root (app manager etc) and you cannot edit /etc/sudoers as user

I fixed thanks to "delaroca's" non deb version of plink which connected to my ssh server running on my n800.

Gotta love fault tolerance... glad you were able to reboot the mars rover I updated lines above - thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to pipeline For This Useful Post:
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Lisbon, Portugal
PCManFM would be awesome on the IT's, and it's lighter than Emelfm2. (btw, emelfm, the original, would also be great).

And as it's a GTK app, would it be too hard to port?

edit: GTK+1 emelfm, Debian Sid armel package works on the IT's, with a few UI glitches (preference dialogues).

Like XMMS one has to start it with LC_MESSAGES=C LANG=C otherwise the dialogues' text will be empty.

Last edited by Onyros; 2008-02-10 at 00:13.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Cough cough
Forget about this post

Last edited by free; 2008-02-10 at 17:54.

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Georgia
Originally Posted by pipeline View Post
Thanks for info, after seeing emel script i realized i wanted this too.

Since this gives emelfm2 power to let you mess up your system, i'd only recommend for advanced users, but you can also do this :

Edit (as root) /etc/sudoers and add :
user ALL = (ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL (if you want user 'user' to sudo anything) -or-
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/emelfm2 (minimum i think... didnt test)

Then edit (as root), the /usr/share/applications/hildon/emelfm2.desktop and set the exec line to read :
Exec=sudo /usr/bin/emelfm2

That should launch emelfm2 as root.

Edit : Fixed sudo line as pointed out by qwerty12 below

How do I access root mode?

when emelfm2 ask for a command, i enter >> sudo gainroot
then it loads x Terminal and ask me for a password....and I don't know it.
I never created 1.

Please Help

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Why it is that some files in the file manager that I try to move to other folders are set as read only and I can't move or copy them? Are they locked that I have to use xterm and be root to copy or move them? Cause I have created some note files that now I can't even edit them due to this read only issue.