Closed Thread
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
But the browser, the Swipe UI and a few other parts - telephony stack, drivers and other parts - are definitely not open source. There are no downloads for that stuff.
But that is obvious, what I read about meego harmattan is that the swipe is closed but other parts is open. A browser (or other parts) just apps.
Forefox and the other browsers are based at webkit, only opera is closed

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by gosh View Post
But that is obvious, what I read about meego harmattan is that the swipe is closed but other parts is open. A browser (or other parts) just apps.
Forefox and the other browsers are based at webkit, only opera is closed
Apparently it's still not obvious to you. Even the webkit2 based browser is closed. Only company I can think of that uses open source components and profits from it is Apple.

I know, I know... there are plenty of others, but Apple does that with webkit and Safari.

There are more than just the Swipe UI and the browser that's closed. And they use open source components... not cool. I think people need to understand more when they say open source and pertaining cellphones, it's conditional and limited.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
I don't believe him either.

His use of English also makes me doubt that he's really American.
Here is one

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...95#post1206495

Dont let me make you pay 200 pesos hombre.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Wait... what have you picked up that I haven't? He seems North American in the least. His love for the Lumia 800 is the only indicator to me that he's likely not American. Those things are rather rare whereas the Lumia 900 isn't.
I never heard an American refer to "good US greens" for money. Wouldn't we use that for really fresh limas or something? Or an attribute of an immaculate golf course...

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
It's nothing else than the Nokia Strategy as explained after feb11: Nokia Windows Phone, Next Billion, Future Disruptions.
Everytime I see "Future Disruption" it reminds me of the article in Maemo page named "Fifth Wheel", and then I go meh.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Just a reminder for the R&D discussion: the partnership with Microsoft is an important part of the Nokia strategy but there is more. See http://www.nokia.com/global/about-no...t-us/about-us/
Whatever vision and strategy Elop is talking about is crab. Nokia's agreement with Microsoft effectively locks them into a Windows Phone only strategy. Microsoft's anti-competitive, monopolistic attitude will take care of that. This a company which believes the best way to take care of competition is not to be better than them but to force them out of the market by foul means. As an example, Windows 8 will lock out other browsers except IE. It comes as no surprise that Elop has to kill Symbian and MeeGo for this partnership with Microsoft.

Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
I'm not sure I believe in this future disruptions thing. only time will tell...
+1

It seems ridiculous to shelve your own OS, for someone else's if you want to have your own future disruption. I mean, let's say for instance that Microsoft DOES manage to get the 3rd ecosystem - won't it then make it a hell of a lot harder for Nokia to break through with their own OS in the future?

Originally Posted by Dared View Post
+1

It seems ridiculous to shelve your own OS, for someone else's if you want to have your own future disruption. I mean, let's say for instance that Microsoft DOES manage to get the 3rd ecosystem - won't it then make it a hell of a lot harder for Nokia to break through with their own OS in the future?
It means that Nokia will become the manufacturing arm of Microsoft, selling a phone which they have no control over and have no exclusive rights. As WP will be their only platform in future, they will be the slave of Microsoft.

Last edited by SamGan; 2012-05-31 at 04:13.

Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
It means that Nokia will become the manufacturing arm of Microsoft, selling a phone which they have no control over and have no exclusive rights. As WP will be their only platform in future, they will be the slave of Microsoft.
We don't know anything about any exclusivity. All we know is that WP is to be Nokias main smartphone OS not the only smartphone OS. This may very well be nikias choise, and not part of a deal as such.

The more I hear about WP8 at the monent, rumors that is, the more it sounds that it will not improve WP7s shortcomings in any substantial manner.

I have to be honest and say that if WP was a OK OS, I would understand Nokia. The problem is that Android is better in almost every single aspect, and almost all that is bad with WP is done so by design. The OS is simply awfull. Lots of games and stuff, but it's like a gameboy machine with a tiny tiny subset of the functionality of for instance android or harmattan.

Originally Posted by specc View Post
We don't know anything about any exclusivity. All we know is that WP is to be Nokias main smartphone OS not the only smartphone OS. This may very well be nikias choise, and not part of a deal as such.

The more I hear about WP8 at the monent, rumors that is, the more it sounds that it will not improve WP7s shortcomings in any substantial manner.

I have to be honest and say that if WP was a OK OS, I would understand Nokia. The problem is that Android is better in almost every single aspect, and almost all that is bad with WP is done so by design. The OS is simply awfull. Lots of games and stuff, but it's like a gameboy machine with a tiny tiny subset of the functionality of for instance android or harmattan.
Nokia is winding down Symbian, closing down MeeGO and according to rumours shelving Meltemi so what other OS do they have? A new platform will take a long time to develop so we can assume for the foreseeable future that Nokia will be left with only WP.

WP7.5 has been praised for being fast and smooth but this only on a superficial level of scrolling menus. Apps take their time to load. With big simple tiles the menu is simple enough to be scrolled fast.

I do agree that WP7.5 is far behind Android and ios. It hasn't even caught up with Android 2.3 and ios 4 yet and those are old versions. Symbian users consider WP7.5 a downgrade with so many restrictions,limitations and missing features. By the time WP8 comes out there will be Android 5, ios 6 and BB10. Unless WP8 can leap ahead of WP7.5 spectacularly it's still going to lag behind.

Last edited by SamGan; 2012-05-31 at 06:18.

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen