Active Topics

Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
Originally Posted by stratax View Post
i dont see why people complain about "true multitasking". why does it matter? the only thing id want to stay open is music. i think wp7 has some of the best multitasking, it just pauses the apps. its a great way to keep battery life, look at android lol the battery life is so bad because of its "true multitasking".
multitasking makes phone actually a smartphone. why do i give 200 usd extra then? i can get some awesome looking nokia/lg/samsung and be happy, right?
multitasking means: "do *multi* *tasks* at same time" <-> browse web and talk on phone at same time or, listen to music and talk on phone...yes, it is possible i did it with E7. that's multitasking...and symbian devices have good battery life because symbian devs wrote "tasking feature" properly.
android on other hand don't really run multitasking, but some sort of that it does. android takes snapshot and keeps it in ram, so that when you start app again it will load faster and it will eventually be "on same position where you closed it" but app it self don't run all the time unless it's registered as service and service types off apps don't work exactly as normal apps so, it is yet another story.
however, i saw some SoE walkman phones with all features you need, so, why did you bothered to buy N9 instead of SoE walkman...you would be able to put music in background and to "browse web"...
so, this is reason why i assume that you didn't knew what you bought. am i right?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by stratax View Post
i dont see why people complain about "true multitasking". why does it matter? the only thing id want to stay open is music. i think wp7 has some of the best multitasking, it just pauses the apps. its a great way to keep battery life, look at android lol the battery life is so bad because of its "true multitasking".
You just described serial tasking, not multi-tasking.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
There is at least one video player for N9 which can continue to play video while in the background (good for musical videos).
Which one's that please? I need this player on my phone.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
Which one's that please? I need this player on my phone.
open video player: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=79537
choose to play in background in the options.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
first time heard of "serial tasking"

This is what I like to do on my mobile,

Surt web using Opera, open multiple tabs and in the middle of replying post at many forums. Oh there is text comes in, "save" the "snapshot" of my Opera in the background and reply to the text, and open back Opera and continue to surf internet/reply-to-post from all my tabs opened previously.

My task above definitely fail on Android/iOS, it will automatically kills Opera..which will make Opera re-launch its application and reload back the web...lost all my reply-in-the-making

On Symbian or N9 I used, it never fail to deliver my task above..

So..my task...Serial Tasking or Multi Tasking?

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Vigo, Spain
Originally Posted by rafpac View Post
I open up the APP store go to new releases and what do I see....apps that display celebrity pictures, web links......its saddening.
You must be kidding. The short list of N9 apps contains much more useful stuff than whatever else I have seen out there. Every single app I find on n9-apps.com is useful. Try finding call recorders on Android, iOS or WP7 appstores. I thank god for the fact that the N9 is "less" popular and fart apps developers are kept off our lawn.

Ladies and gentlemen after using the Nokia N9 for more than 6 months now I have come to the sad realization that my Nokia N9 has nothing more to offer me. I have no new apps, I cant tell my friends why my phone is better and more practical then their's anymore, neither can I share great times using common apps with them.
That's pure opinion and I respect that. You don't find any new apps that fit you. I install the few apps I need for daily use and move on with my life. I only look for apps when I have a new need and of course I _know_ how to tell needs from whims.

The fact that you need to show off your phone to your friends is what you should realize it's saddening.

the UI alone isn't enough to save this phone anymore.
Of course it is, for people that actually use their device, that is. It doesn't mean a thing for those constantly tinkering and searching for the latest fad. Sure.

Grow up.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sicofante For This Useful Post:
In the battle of multitasking:

1st - Symbian 60 & linux (maemo, meego, etc)
2nd - Android, iOS, WP, Bada.

You will notice their are only two tiers here. The first can multitask, the second cannot.

Anyone who claims the contrary has LITERALLY NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Nokia n900/n9 are a diamond in a sand. The sand being Android and IOS.

The Following User Says Thank You to libaax For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by libaax View Post
Nokia n900/n9 are a diamond in a sand. The sand being Android and IOS.
Diamonds are only worthwhile normally when people cut, facet and polish them.

In this case, Nokia took those diamonds, dumped them in the trash, picked up a turd, tried to polish it, labeled it their best strategy and it all stunk up the place.

Meanwhile, people are arguing over details whereas the biggest detail has been left out - no updates, no movement, no OS support and nothing new will be coming down the pipe at all.

Diamond indeed.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sicofante View Post
You must be kidding. The short list of N9 apps contains much more useful stuff than whatever else I have seen out there. Every single app I find on n9-apps.com is useful. Try finding call recorders on Android, iOS or WP7 appstores. I thank god for the fact that the N9 is "less" popular and fart apps developers are kept off our lawn.
Refer to my second post I have 7 different apps that are way useful. Refer to my second post once more to find the IOS isnt even an option. Recorder on android? How many do you need...do some research for your own good. Again refer to my second post and tell me those apps i listed should not be essentials on a phone. Let alone the lack of convenient features I talked about in my first post.

That's pure opinion and I respect that. You don't find any new apps that fit you. I install the few apps I need for daily use and move on with my life. I only look for apps when I have a new need and of course I _know_ how to tell needs from whims.
Again refer to my second post as I have mentioned I respect people that have found their needs but there are still people out there who havent. Maybe they or even Nokia can take away something from my argument/rant/vent whatever you want to call it.

The fact that you need to show off your phone to your friends is what you should realize it's saddening.
Sigh! again read my second post.

Of course it is, for people that actually use their device, that is. It doesn't mean a thing for those constantly tinkering and searching for the latest fad. Sure.
Fad? I hope you didn't direct that at me, I have been a power user of the N900 and the N9, Linux for phones is a passion of mine and I love MeeGo and Maemo. If you only bothered to read the thread and not just jump to reply you would know that. Again you tell me what useful apps the N9 has and I will tell you of another device having similar apps. How about I ask you, show me the N9 playing 720p H.264, show me grooveshark for online music on the go, Give me a physical keyboard, show me system directory access from the from native apps, let me have video calls on skype...I am tired of repeating myself. Give me an office based client editor. I will tell you about a phone that has 90% of all that and 90% of N9 similar apps. All you bring to the table is recorder apps? seriously? The problem of people like you is that you do not respect other people to understand what they are trying to say and you immediately take an offensive stance.

Grow up.
I don't have such philosophical advise for you, but here is a practical one read the threads before you reply.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rafpac For This Useful Post:

Tags
disappointment, lack of apps, specc=ericsson, tizen is savior