Active Topics

Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
How do I order the white version if I'm situated @ South Africa?

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Pretoria, South Africa
Originally Posted by Muzimak View Post
How do I order the white version if I'm situated @ South Africa?
Hey Muzimak,

I ordered mine from here. I have a white version but I dropped it and bought this as a replacement chassis.

Use Paypal for payment and request the international tracking number from the seller once the item is shipped. Wait about a week then track the package through ems.sapo.co.za using the international tracking number.

Once you see its has cleared Customs call SAPO/JHB International Mail Centre on 0860 011 1502. Tell them you want the local tracking number for your package. They will ask you for the international tracking number and then will provide you with the local tracking number.

Use parceltrack.co.za to track the package with the local tracking number until it reaches your local post office. Go pick it up and start smiling

I've uploaded some pics in my post here and here.

PS: There are duties/tax that you have to pay as well. Mine came to about 32 bucks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nosph3ratu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
Wow god to meet a fellow country mate here
How much was it in our currency? Did they customs make U pay aswell? Did U do disambling and assembling yourself and was it easy? Does it come with the screw driver?

How much was it in our currency? Did they customs make U pay aswell? Did U do disambling and assembling yourself and was it easy? Does it come with the screw driver?
You will most likely be provided with the screwdrivers, however they won't have magnetic tips - you need a torx screwdriver with a magnetic tip otherwise you are going to find it impossible to get a couple of the screws back in

Last edited by Dared; 2012-06-07 at 15:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dared For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Pretoria, South Africa
It depends on the Rand/Dollar exchange rate at the time of purchase. With the Paypal currency conversion fee it came to R396.58. The shipping was free. I chose that particular seller as he has over 10,000 sales with over 99% positive rating. You might need to ask him if he can source a white simtray and usb door for you though as the item is just for the white chassis.

Customs did charge me about R30-R40, I cant quite remember exactly how much. Its definitely not more than R80. I haven't swapped the chassis as yet as the damage to my current chassis is not really that bad. An excellent video to disassemble and re-assemble can be found here.

This particular seller does include small star, T4 torx and T5 torx screwdrivers as well as a triangular prying tool to remove the screen. I've included a pic of them below. The T4 torx screwdriver is magnetised but I think the problem screws at the usb/simtray covers that Dared is talking about are T5.

Offtopic: If you're on Vodacom check out this link to usb tether your phone with WIndows 7. Speed using joikuspots built in hotspot is pathetic.
Attached Images

Last edited by Nosph3ratu; 2012-06-07 at 16:58.

Does anyone have experience in recoloring the plastic they use in N9 at home? Turning the shiny white casing into canary yellow might turn some heads

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Singapore
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
I've got two screws not back in my n9 at the moment due to stripping them on the way out - seems fine. I put another screw back in the "problem" spot, as it's fairly central, but left some other ones out where there were other screws nearby. I left the metal retainer strip out entirely for a week too and that didn't seem to matter or affect reception either. Just think - your phone will be a gram lighter than other N9s as well as being a different colour!
hahaha I am wondering if I can tell the difference in weight!

But anyway I have done the change of my N9 64GB to Cyan. Through this process, i stripped one of the screw so I have one less screw in my phone. I accidentally spoilt the new usb door. But this is my first attempt and I am sure I will do lots better in my second attempt. I will try to change to a white one in the future (maybe in 6 months time)

Anyway the whole process is rather simple. The most difficult part is the unscrewing of the screws. They are all so tight that it feels that Nokia has welded them in since the screws have black spots around them. After the screws are out, i finish the rest in like 10mins.

So, an advice for anyone trying it the first time, get a good screwdriver and unscrew the screws slowly and steadily. Don't rush, unless if you want to strip the screw.

btw, can anyone recommend a seller that has good full white housing with USB cover and SIM tray? The seller (freetrade21) that sells me mine seems to have removed his N9 housings from eBay

Last edited by tanwg; 2012-06-08 at 02:26.

Do these housings come with new guerrilla glass as well?

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Singapore
nope you need to buy the glass/LCD separately.

Separate issue: I realised that I am now getting popping sounds on my speakers. Anyone got this and what can be the reason?

You mean when you first play a song you get a pop/click before it starts? I have this on both of my N9's