Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
No Meltemi, its Nkoia OS which is Symbian. Does it have Wifi Tethering?

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
the whole thing of hitting androids in Europe is quite suspect.
I don't think it is. I like Android but in my experience it requires really decent hardware, Android on a budget device is agonising.

Numerous of my friends who have no real interest in smartphones beyond messaging, emails and checking the headlines have got low grade Android devices and they utterly detest them. They didn't consciously decide they wanted an Android device it was simply because that's what's offered on the low monthly tariff plans now.

I suspect there are a lot of these people about, they may have Android devices but are not true Android (or even smartphone) converts, it's just that's the best device on offer with the contract that suited them.

i mean how do you expect Nokia to do so? this is the main reason they are falling behind...
NOKIA are failing because Elop announced Symbian had been deprecated, which made carriers and retailers drop it.

I think this is related to my point above, the users that would previously have been offered Symbian phones on the low monthly tariff plans or subsidised carrier locked pay-as-you-go phones are now offered budget Androids instead. It seems to me as things stand Android will continue gaining market share by default simply because there's not much else in this market segment.

NOKIA need to produce something carriers and consumers want and quick.

Originally Posted by vivmak View Post
No Meltemi, its Nkoia OS which is Symbian. Does it have Wifi Tethering?
NOKIA OS is not Symbian.

The Following User Says Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 665 | Thanked: 2,388 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Zagreb, Croatia
LOL so much false information in this thread that it's sooo funny...

Latest Asha phones run S40Touch - still a Java OS like any other S40.
It's not Meltemi and it's not Symbian FFS.

Meltemi will arrive when it's ready.

The Following User Says Thank You to knobtviker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by knobtviker View Post
LOL so much false information in this thread that it's sooo funny...

Latest Asha phones run S40Touch - still a Java OS like any other S40.
It's not Meltemi and it's not Symbian FFS.

Meltemi will arrive when it's ready.
Yeah don't understand why people spread completely false info.
Meltemi is way cooler than this S40 touch, but it is not ready yet. Integration is ongoing and will take a few quarters to mature.

S40 touch however shows swipe elements that I think likely will be a common theme for Nokia's swipe UX.... (never see Meltemi SW so this is pure speculation.)

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
nokia is hell slow, the pace is too fast, hurry up nokia, i hope you can survive to updating my n9,

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
Yeah don't understand why people spread completely false info.
Meltemi is way cooler than this S40 touch, but it is not ready yet. Integration is ongoing and will take a few quarters to mature.
S40 touch however shows swipe elements that I think likely will be a common theme for Nokia's swipe UX.... (never see Meltemi SW so this is pure speculation.)
Complaining about the spreading of false info, and then spreading pure speculation in the same message is just genius!

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Look at the availability page for the 311, NOKIA are planning on selling it right across Europe (although not the UK it seems) where EUR 7 is peanuts but where GPS on a budget device will be a big selling point.

311 Availability

Do NOKIA want to stuff it to budget Androids or not?
for once that may be a good strategy cause those lowend Android devices really suck bigtime. Slow as hell and eating battery.

Also the "swipeUI" is promising. But so far swedish media has not got any attention to this device(s). Swedish Nokia is totally blinded by Microsoft crapphones.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Brazil
i agree with you however look at the bigger picture, majority of sales will come from emerging markets, Europe while a wide market won't have huge sales. Brazil, India, Bangladesh, Thailand will surely provide with more than whole of Europe combined. Like i mentioned earlier the branding of the device to Asha shows the true intention of the series. It would most probably sell as prepaid devices in Europe for people to use and discard but in emerging markets it will become people's primary device that they expect to last for quite some time.

on the other hand, they could have made a 312 with GPS...
The world is changing, here (Brazil), N 500 costs bit more expensive than C3 and here people want smartphones, no feature phone. We have cheap data plans for 3G. I dont know about India and China, but we are the third largest market for Nokia and everyone wants smartphone.
If Nokia does not, people go and buy a Samsung.

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
i can confirm indonesia also losing interest on nokia product now, yeah maybe its time to samsung to rule, dinosaurs has to die