In Malaysia, the 300 units are to test market according to the Nokia Stores salesmen. Those units are already sold out 2 days after the online community found out it's being sold-someone announced he bought one, everyone in 808 thread went crazy . More stock are coming for Msia at least, it's considered hot selling item.

It's a very quiet launch cos it's supposed to be 15 June 2012. If 7 June was actual launch, wow, that's even lower profile than N9(which had press ads and posters)

Posts: 463 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mumbai, India
After today's announcement....

Guess this years Nokia World will be a very important one indeed...

Nokia better show what it's upto with all these impromptu restructuring...

P.S. Just in case MS plans to buyout Nokia..wouldn't there be all sorts of legal issues from EU and others??

They must need the money after buying scalado

http://m.theinquirer.net/inquirer/ne...-phone-devices

Originally Posted by funkmunk View Post
After today's announcement....

P.S. Just in case MS plans to buyout Nokia..wouldn't there be all sorts of legal issues from EU and others??
I think the EU and a number of other countries would need to give permission, but I don't think that would be a problem as long as the GSM/3G patents remain available for licensing. Now that Nokia effectively killed all internal OS software development, Microsoft and Nokia aren't competitors anymore, and that is the main reason the EU might object.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
According to this finnish news article Nokia will lose 46% of its cash by the end of the this year. So half of the remaining money will be gone in 6 months.

It's near now.

Originally Posted by funkmunk View Post

Propably not. Microsoft has almost no marketshare whatsoever in mobile and Nokia's marketshare has eroded quickly. Unlikely that there would be any serious competition/antitrust isssues.

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post

It's near now.
or maybe this one:

End of the world....

Very sad to me.....
because these guys have been under great pressure, from top to bottom, to deliver.

Now Meltemi is dead, I think there is nothing that cannot be said.

The big problem for Meltemi I have been seeing is the constantly-changing strategy, and the schedule slip. It was originally planned to have public demo in Q2, SDK and API documents available soon after. There were talks about budget allocated to create thousands of apps for product launch. Operators loved Meltemi UI. There was plan for a higher-end low-end phone that might be what people here can live with. People were already planning about tablet.

But somehow the project is way behind schedule in reality. This becomes uncomfortably clear the closer we are to Q2 end. Schedule slip ensued.... from a few weeks to a quarter, and create a chain effect to the whole project launch.

For the slip, in some ways I think Nokia wasted too much time keeping Meltemi in secret mode. This barrier hinder the debugging significantly. But there must be other things that make all this not happening fast enough.....

Also, Mary's leaving shows Nokia is losing the low-end market really bad. S40 touch cannot compete with low-end Android, and without Meltemi Nokia has nothing to fight the little green robots. It's dead end for Nokia in mobile phone. Game is over. The meager profit from Windows phone cannot support the company. Nokia is dead to me.

Anyway, big thanks for people working on this project. I am sure some of them will shed more lights in the future... I still cannot believe how Nokia manged to repeat history in such a short time frame. It is unfair to put all blames on Elop because many things are already set in stone when he arrived, but the strategy he planned is crumbling in every way. He should fire himself first.....
You don't scrap a billion dollar development program because of a 1Q schedule slip. The problem with elop and board: Internal development is not seen as a key asset, they have the attitude that they're just gonna use some outside OS if things don't go the optimal way. That way they will never be a major tech company. Neither Apple, Google or MS would just abandon their engineers that way.

That said, I don't know why they didn't use meego for their mid to low-end in the first place, just because of memory needs?

Last edited by Rugoz; 2012-06-14 at 13:16.

Posts: 463 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mumbai, India
With Nokia stocks and shares crashing...why can't the shareholders or others on the board just fire Elop for getting into all this mess???

Im sure the must be some company policy that allows you to do this....

Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
You don't scrap a billion dollar development program because of a 1Q schedule slip. The problem with elop and board: Internal development is not seen as a key asset, they have the attitude that they're just gonna use some outside OS if things don't go the optimal way. That way they will never be a major tech company. Neither Apple, Google or MS would just abandon their engineers that way.
Maybe the financial numbers were so bad that they didn't have a choice?
In any case it is a one way track. They can't really go back and develop their own OS after this. Nokia would have a really hard time hiring the engineers needed, every software engineer would think twice knowing how they handled the engineers at the previous attempt. So that leaves outsourcing to microsoft or possibly other parties if/when the Microsoft plan fails.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Just buy Nokia shares. They will double in 2 years. (Lubeman ™ violated)

Tags
downward_spiral, fu_flop, memories