Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
Okay, let's say there were 3 versions of Thumb2 CSSU so far. when i installed 1st when i already had CSSU-T a few things got messed up (like i had only 4 desktops), but i didn't pay much attentions to that, because phone got responsiver and fast in overall. Then i updated and n900 bricked, so i did a clean install of the 2. version, without preinstalling CSSU-Testing. That went all well, and even "fixed" desktops and other little bugs. After that i updated to the last version, and phone slowed down say... 10 to 20 percent. But i will do a reflash today, and do another clean install of the last version available. Therefore i have a qusetion, do You think a eMMC reflash in this case is usefull, or shud i just reflash with a COMBINED image?

Keep in mind i didn't overclock in any of the cases...
Are you sure your slowdown is not caused by tracker? As it takes some time after a reflash for device to settle down, depending on how many songs/pictures/videos/whatever you have. DId you check if there is no some process using CPU? As I don't see any slowdown so far, neither someone else reported such.

I don't think eMMC reflash is needed, at least it should not be. Of course it depends of what is the status of your eMMC

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
A good proof of concept, apart from the already mentioned MicroB (browserd always loaded in memory) and Firefox, could be building Python with Thumb2.
I will appreciate anyone willing to contribute, it is just not possible for me to recompile all of the packages in repos in a week . If anyone is willing to compile and test something specific, I can provide some guidance on how to setup SB with gcc 4.6.2 (it is really easy, a matter of setting up a new target)

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900

Community SSU developer

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
I will appreciate anyone willing to contribute, it is just not possible for me to recompile all of the packages in repos in a week . If anyone is willing to compile and test something specific, I can provide some guidance on how to setup SB with gcc 4.6.2 (it is really easy, a matter of setting up a new target)
Could you please provide a quick how-to and where to obtain the target files, much appreciated

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pablocrossa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pablocrossa View Post
Could you please provide a quick how-to and where to obtain the target files, much appreciated
Download the toolchain from here and extract it in /scratchox/compilers

run sb-menu and setup a new target (name it FREMANTLE_THUMB) using

/scratchbox/users/maemo/home/maemo/maemo-sdk-rootstrap_5.0_20.2010.36-2_armel.tgz as a rootstrap

choose "perl:debian-etch:doctools:svn:git" as devkits

select qemu-arm as CPU transparency method

select to install files and check all but second option (C runtime IIRC)

once the new target is setup create

/scratchbox/users/maemo/targets/FREMANTLE_THUMB.environment

containing:
Code:
export DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=maemo-launcher,parallel=4,thumb,vfp
(parallel=4 is for my system, change it as appropriate)

add appropriate repos in /etc/apt/sources.list (sdk, tools,nokia AND CSSU_THUMB, you can just copy the file from FREMANTLE_ARMEL target)

login into the new target, and run gcc -v, you should have version 4.6.2

NOTE: The order of the above steps could be wrong and something could be missing, I wrote it based on my memories

Community SSU developer

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hxka View Post
@szopin, not all of files in rootfs are ELFs.
It's bit tricky to count size of all ELFs in rootfs, I've ended up with this:
Code:
Nokia-N900:~# cat iself.sh 
#!/bin/sh
file "$1" | grep ": ELF" 2>&1 >/dev/null && echo "$1"
Nokia-N900:~# du -ch $(find / -xdev -type f -exec sh iself.sh {} \;) | tail -1
191.2M	total
And 30-40% is a reduction of code size, not resulting code size.
So, 345.6−191.2⋅0.4=269.12. Too much, even if not to take into account that not all of them are open source and can be recompiled, that partition size is 251.25 MB, not 256 and that filesystem iteslf require some space to store inodes and other stuff.
Good point, my logic took a bit of over-excited vacation/leap, still, getting /bin(sbin) dirs alone (and lib? thumb2 compiled .so's should count, no?) out of compressed parts should give both battery and performance boost. Hoping to give compiling that toolchain a go over the week and maybe get something to contribute over the weekend.

freemangordon: Please open up a wikipage with detailed instructions for noobs on how to help out (list of parts that still need compilation...), the more step-by-step the better. I'm sure quite a few people would be willing to help the effort. EDIT: even if general steps, will be happy to update with what WFMed once I get to setting it up.

Last edited by szopin; 2012-06-18 at 18:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
freemangordon: Please open up a wikipage with detailed instructions for noobs on how to help out (list of parts that still need compilation...), the more step-by-step the better. I'm sure quite a few people would be willing to help the effort. EDIT: even if general steps, will be happy to update with what WFMed once I get to setting it up.
I have a promise from a guy(zeq) on IRC he will do that as soon as he has some free time.

Community SSU developer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ switzerland
Hi,

Is this kernel optimized for compache yet?

I wonder because while testing compache, i only get 0 as value when using rzscontrol which is available in compache-tool package. And i read somewhere that this may be due to some kernel config.

I am sorry, but my knowledge of all of this is somewhat limited for now, and i don't know how to check this by myself.

Thanks

Last edited by Mitrigol; 2012-06-18 at 19:26.

upgraded via fapm cssu now I dont have lock desktop and custom operater widg, and when I opem cssu features says that I dont have the cssu installed other things seems to work tried to reinstall with this cssu-thumb that I allready had and with testing cssu and and didn't work keep saying that I allrready have the cssu enabler also upgrade via x-term made no change
Any clue?

I have fast app manager linked to cssu-thumb and cssu-testing. After installing thumb, there was no changes to cssu-testing improvements. Also, phone got some speedup, even better than speedpatch. THX freemangordon!
Guilledoc, check your repos, cssu-thumb and cssu-testing must be on together.

Originally Posted by XeonDead View Post
even better than speedpatch
It's not hard to be better than speedpatch.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hxka For This Useful Post:

Tags
code size, dinosaurs, fmg ftw!, fmg.da.king, performance, thumb, thumb life