Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Instead of being sad I'm really intrested to see Nokia's next move. I'm intrigued about Nokia's launch of windows 8. And even other vendors as well. I'm interested to see what nokia will do with the time between announcement and release. I'm also intrested to see if nokia can contribute to windows 8 and if they can differentiate from the other vendors. Also rumors of higher license cost will give a higher price than android and possibly even Ipad.

So many interesting questions, I'm not sad about meltimi because we don't know what, how and when to see it.

Focus on the future and forget the past.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post

Focus on the future and forget the past.
There were times Chuck would be out for hard justice after his baby got murdered.

Whiskey and cheap hookers won't bring her back. Never forget!

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Just like the N900, N810, N800 and 770 were backed in full force too, right?
N810, N800, 770 were side projects with complete lack of marketing. I would have never heard of such devices if it wasn't for google and my own misspelling. for which I am dearly thankful. N900 was no different. It's unveiling was proof in it's own right, a poor youtube video of two developers promoting features. Lack of software development on Maemo 5, new hardware releases based on this OS and an immediate change of direction towards Maemo 6, i.e. MeeGo were the final blows to this wonderful device. Nokia had it, but failed to execute, for unknown reasons.

Nokia didn't know what to do or how to effectively market any of those items. It would not have started with the N9. And for the most part, they didn't stand behind the prior items or the N9, their most marketable Maemo device before Elop.
MeeGo was actually established as Nokia's highend goal en mass, and N9/N950 were devices that should have brought their Linux platform into many Average Joe pockets. February 2011, was the month when everybody expected such a device, which was nowhere in sight. Instead we received a burning platform memo and another change in direction.

All in all, it seems as though Nokia has had backstabbing people in the inside. It's like this saying in my country: "Out of three people, two of them are good and trustworthy, the third one being the backstabber."

It would take a lot more than just one phone. They're lacking willing third party support on Maemo Harmattan. They'd need that among other missing items to garner more than just enthusiast support.
Nokia had ONE device capable of changing their faith. That device was the N9. Its reception is more than enough to prove its ability to compete by its lonely self just as Apple managed with the iPhone. N9, with a high price and poor market availability still managed to achieve a respectable performance. However, if you think that this one device was incapable, there were also the canned N950 and a possible 4.3 in MeeGo device that could have been released,currently known as the Lumia 900.

Also, this month, could have been the month when Nokia revealed a GS3 competitor. A dual core would have been enough to provide a hard blow at competitors.

That combination existed for quite a while, wasn't as lackluster as folks would claim it to be, but it wasn't exactly setting the world ablaze either.
There was no actual tangible example of this whole model shown to the public ready to be pushed. That was the only mistake.

Hate to tear apart what you said - I actually agree with all that you're saying - I just have to inject some realism into what is happening into these conversations.
I am well aware that what I am saying is based on lots of "could have" and "should have," but at least it shows what could have been with a capable person at the helm.

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

" NOKIA'S LAST STAND " article in W I R E D magazine
http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/arch...stand?page=all

NOKIA NEED ANOTHER RƎVOLUTION..

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by ed00 View Post
" NOKIA'S LAST STAND " article in W I R E D magazine
http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/arch...stand?page=all

NOKIA NEED ANOTHER RƎVOLUTION..
I know that's an old article, yet based on what it said it seems Nokia is working on a future mobile OS.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
That article is old (or better "deprecated", despite saying "from the June issue".

I find it hard to see they have anything up their sleeve. N9 was a great phone with awesome OS, which was not used to it's potential. Nokia had a great ecosystem up their sleeve, it was pure linux comming to the masses with they even tapping in with the app store. So they should have something really big on plans or then it's jus plain old MS.

Maybe there was microsoft share holders inside Nokia that saw this communistic/anarchistic product a comming, which made the US capitalist rise their war hammer to defend their values of freedom to make money at what price nessecary, be it civilization or evolution of culture or what ever to be sacrificed. I hope it's not the case, I guess there is still people in Oulu, that work on meltemi. At least someone is propably still working on pr 1.3...

Other thing might be that microsoft could have a same kind of opensource strategy at their mind, since based on what I see on my laptop and phone right now I find it even very probable that linux is going to go mainstream at any moment. Win 8 is quite likely a crappy ui, badly ripped from gnome3... not much new there. They need to evolve to level with google. Apple has still their closed business model and the hip people buy their products... What ever, it's pretty interesting times I know Linux is competitive enough right now to be the OS my mother uses. It's open source crashing through baby

...or rather slowly and unavoidably crawling through

Last edited by Aparaatti; 2012-06-18 at 07:40.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
However, if you think that this one device was incapable, there were also the canned N950 and a possible 4.3 in MeeGo device that could have been released,currently known as the Lumia 900.
It's been hinted by those in-the-know before....
There was a 3rd well-advanced in the prototyping stage, to be based around the U8500 or OMAP4, more likely the former.*
Now imagine this 3rd device against the backdrop of a team that hadn't shrunk 100% over the course of about 12mth.
I wouldn't be surprised if it had a form-factor similar to that of the 900, & a OS w/built-in utility far greater than WP7x & even Maemo6x (def. less buggy).
And there's no question it would've been on shelves in at least a few countries for at least a month or so by now...
And this would've been in an environment where every review didn't end w/a disclaimer: "Oh she's a nice device but she's dead Jim".

*there was to be 1-2 more after the N950/N9, before Vanilla MeeGo devices were to start flowing from Q3 12` onwards.
(orig. launch was Q4 11`, but the plan was also to focus on 1-2 more Maemo6x devices, in case Medfield/MeeGo needed more time, & they may have)

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-06-18 at 16:23. Reason: typo

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Dream on. Nokia was never good at delivering perfect software for the masses, hence their downfall. N9, as an evolution from n900, should have been much better, but sadly lacks half of the features n900 had. Nokia software engineers clearly can't do it if it takes them so long to make sequels to their software. Nokia n900 was released in 2009, every other company would have had a sequel in the works, and look what we get? And this is prior to Elop

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by Aparaatti View Post
I find it hard to see they have anything up their sleeve.
If their sleeves are empty, I hope they start filling their sleeves up sooner than later!

Tags
downward_spiral, fu_flop, memories