Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
*sigh*

My mystified take: http://post404.com/2012/06/betrayal-...h-the-surface/

(don't be surprised if this thread gets moved to Off Topic at some point)
Loved it. Always like your blog posts, Randall. Keep up the good work, sir

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyNokia232 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
*sigh*

My mystified take: http://post404.com/2012/06/betrayal-...h-the-surface/

(don't be surprised if this thread gets moved to Off Topic at some point)
"Since this was presented months ahead of actual product release, Microsoft essentially osborned Windows Phone 7 device sales."

Too true. And guess what?

I don't get the mentality of people who think something is obsolete just because it can't run the latest version of some software, as if the item suddenly loses all functionality. Also shame on MS marketing for calling the update 7.8 instead of 8.0. Why did they do it? It's like they were asking for bad press. "WP8 coming to existing phones, only features missing are the ones not supported by the hardware". Isn't that what's happening, except it's called WP7.8?

Also, I used to think that blogs like Engadget and Gizmodo were very biased, but last night I made the error of reading something from cnet. Holy ****, not only are they extremely biased, but they even seem to spread disinformation deliberately. I can't help thinking that what they're doing is illegal, and I'd like to see Nokia suing their asses.

Last edited by shinogami; 2012-06-21 at 13:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to shinogami For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shinogami View Post
I don't get the mentality of people who think something is obsolete just because it can't run the latest version of some software, as if the item suddenly loses all functionality. Also shame on MS marketing for calling the update 7.8 instead of 8.0. Why did they do it? It's like they were asking for bad press. "WP8 coming to existing phones, only features missing are the ones not supported by the hardware". Isn't that what's happening, except it's called WP7.8?

Also, I used to think that blogs like Engadget and Gizmodo were very biased, but last night I made the error of reading something from cnet. Holy ****, not only are they extremely biased, but they even seem to spread disinformation deliberately. I can't help thinking that what they're doing is illegal, and I'd like to see Nokia suing their asses.
Microsoft FUD is working on you actually.

The features missing are not merely hardware related. The windows core has changed, it's not changing for WP7.8.
Part of the reason for this was so that porting Windows 8 apps to WP8 is easier. Porting apps to 7.8 will remain the same.
What that means is WP7.8 is not going to get WP8 compiled apps even if the hardware supports it. The developer would have to target it specifically and most will most likely not bother. WP7.8 is a legacy device now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
the only reason why m$ actually exists is because 30 yrs ago, Big Blue was too lazy to develop an OS for XT/AT/PC which they thought would only be a couple years worth fluke, after which everyone would come running back to the mainframe & co, horrified by the "cost" of "personal support"...
well, sometimes even "Big companies" miss it, don't they?

Dirty Operating System...
not old enough, apparently
1) Microsoft existed before IBM gettiong the OS contract with IBM. About 5 1/2 years, in fact.

2) Wasn't really a question of Big Blue being lazy. The PC development team were specifcally tasked with getting the PC to market as quickly as possible, and decided to source various components, including the OS, from outside vendors to achieve this. What they really wanted was CP/M, which they tried to commission from Digital Research. And what they ended up with was 86-DOS, which was API compatible with CP/M

3) DOS never stood for Dirty Operating System. QDOS (which later became 86-DOS), however, did stand for Quick and Dirty Operating System, but you can't extract just the DOS from there, out of context.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
The developer would have to target it specifically and most will most likely not bother.
This is based on what? You can't write apps in a language both WP7.8 and WP8 understand? I understand MS introduced new options for languages, which I assume e.g. big game companies will make use of, but those little apps, which make up the vast majority of the market, I tend to think will be written as now also in the near future. So perhaps in a few years the balance will tip, but then I guess it's time to upgrade anyway. Not that I know anything about software development. Also, didn't Nokia do this very same thing with Symbian and Maemo quite a few times? Except Nokia did it worse. N900 can't run N9 apps, and vice versa. At least WP8 devices can run WP7.5 apps, which I think is quite good indicator that it will not be difficult to write apps for both versions (as long as those apps don't specifically make us of the hardware enhancements)..

Last edited by shinogami; 2012-06-21 at 14:48.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Don't try to argue with him, he's totally entrenched in such "M$" thoughts & terms, in fact it's his life source

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Originally Posted by misterc View Post

Dirty Operating System...
not old enough, apparently

I doubt it! Reference, please? Peter Norton never mentioned this.
Gates bought DOS from a software programmer who originally called it QDOS (Quick and Dirty Operating System) and it was meant to be crude knock-up OS with a crude text editor called Edlin and a simple 8.3 naming convention.

However this survived as MS-DOS for umpteen years before it was replaced by Windows which originally ran as a program under MS-DOS.

Last edited by SamGan; 2012-06-21 at 15:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
This is based on what? You can't write apps in a language both WP7.8 and WP8 understand? I understand MS introduced new options for languages, which I assume e.g. big game companies will make use of, but those little apps, which make up the vast majority of the market, I tend to think will be written as now also in the near future. So perhaps in a few years the balance will tip, but then I guess it's time to upgrade anyway. Not that I know anything about software development. Also, didn't Nokia do this very same thing with Symbian and Maemo quite a few times? Except Nokia did it worse. N900 can't run N9 apps, and vice versa. At least WP8 devices can run WP7.5 apps, which I think is quite good indicator that it will not be difficult to write apps for both versions (as long as those apps don't specifically make us of the hardware enhancements)..
Based on the fact that the core has changed, if developers were expected to write for WP7.8 then there would be little reason to change it to a Windows 8 shared core. At this stage MS have confirmed native code support is NOT supported by WP7.8 so no you cannot write code in a language both WP7.8 and WP8 understand. Some (I expect a lot) will write native code for WP8 and WP7.8 will be sh*t out of luck. If you believe otherwise then good luck.

Last edited by Cue; 2012-06-21 at 15:12. Reason: Thought don was referring to me, sorry

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I guess it would be even further off-topic to ask where DR-DOS falls on this discussion.