Closed Thread
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
Let me make a suggestion. Being blunt has it's place. This was not it. You and I can come to terms if you are willing to be frank and friendly. I am not here to argue with you. I am here to understand.
Considering you were attacking the people awarded, in at least 2 places by name, I'd hardly call your approach "friendly". You were in fact arguing, weather you acknowledge it or not, and being highly insulting to everyone involved to boot. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking this.

2nd, are you holding these people to some standard of work that they will do to accomplish what you claim they will do?
No. I think you need to look at the rules and qualifications for this competition again. This is not about future works or promises. This is not about coding. It's not about Harmattan, nor is it limited to only the Harmattan community. There are three other competitions for that, this is not one of them. You need to educate yourself on what this competition was, not what you think it should have been, or are assuming it was.

This was an award to people who have put tons of thankless, often unrecognized, hours of work in and helped build the Maemo community to what it is today. That includes people from N7*0, N8*0, N900 and N9. This is for work they've already done, not for work they're promising to do.

As a simple matter of logic though, it's not hard to comprehend that the type of person who would win this award will very likely take to the new shiny and become just as active in their new community as they have been here. While there is no *promise* to do so, I have no doubt many of them will in fact become major contributors if they haven't been already.

I personally was both excited and sad to award major contributors to past Maemo OSs a Harmattan device. Excited to see how they'll be able to help and expand Harmattan, and even help bridge the community gap that (clearly) exists between Harmattan and the rest of Maemo. I was sad knowing that in doing so we're losing some of the time and resources we now enjoy, as they divert time away from the older platforms and toward Harmattan.

Take this for what it is. It's an award not just for individuals, but for the entire community; the Harmattan community in particular. Ranting and claiming it was rigged because it didn't fit your expectations does nothing but harm the community.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
No, this is something that everyone needs to be aware of.
This is a conversation better suited for private messages.

Irony much?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Irony much?
He's wasting time and I'm not eager to talk to him about anything. You I will respond to. Finding faults in my argument is childish and pointless.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
This is a conversation better suited for private messages.
Why should it? It should be public.

You're picking and choosing the criteria of what should be public and private, I requested this kind of rhetoric go private earlier on.

Now it suits you to go private when I ask for explanations?

Seriously?! Put up or shut up by now man. That's where you've placed yourself squarely right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
still no official comments on my point =\

Finding faults in my argument is childish and pointless.
Some would call claiming a community competition was "rigged", and demanding results from winners of awards for past works childish and pointless as well. We all do childish and pointless things at times though, don't we?

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Considering you were attacking the people awarded, in at least 2 places by name, I'd hardly call your approach "friendly". You were in fact arguing, weather you acknowledge it or not, and being highly insulting to everyone involved to boot. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking this.
Your opinions and comments towards me are attacking me more and more each time. You are not winning favor with many of the Harmattan folks speaking to me this way, you clearly should be more friendly as I'm not attacking you and asking for explanations.

Originally Posted by woody14619;1225361No. I think you need to look at the rules and qualifications for [B
this competition[/B] again. This is not about future works or promises. This is not about coding. It's not about Harmattan, nor is it limited to only the Harmattan community. There are three other competitions for that, this is not one of them. You need to educate yourself on what this competition was, not what you think it should have been, or are assuming it was.

This was an award to people who have put tons of thankless, often unrecognized, hours of work in and helped build the Maemo community to what it is today. That includes people from N7*0, N8*0, N900 and N9. This is for work they've already done, not for work they're promising to do.

As a simple matter of logic though, it's not hard to comprehend that the type of person who would win this award will very likely take to the new shiny and become just as active in their new community as they have been here. While there is no *promise* to do so, I have no doubt many of them will in fact become major contributors if they haven't been already.

I personally was both excited and sad to award major contributors to past Maemo OSs a Harmattan device. Excited to see how they'll be able to help and expand Harmattan, and even help bridge the community gap that (clearly) exists between Harmattan and the rest of Maemo. I was sad knowing that in doing so we're losing some of the time and resources we now enjoy, as they divert time away from the older platforms and toward Harmattan.

Take this for what it is. It's an award not just for individuals, but for the entire community; the Harmattan community in particular. Ranting and claiming it was rigged because it didn't fit your expectations does nothing but harm the community.
So instead of giving the awards to people that should have gotten them, you gave them to would be moderators in your eyes?

People's past contributions are great, but if there is no record of their involvement or help with Harmattan how can we be sure that they will be so eager to help Harmattan as you claim?

Woody, rethink how you respond to me next time (be more friendly), because you are making a lot of enemies in the Harmattan camp this way.

Again to the people that received awards I have no issue with you, I am questioning the decision making process of the council.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Oh that makes perfect sense, an award for past contributions, unless you're in the council and get it for... what exactly? If you guys are going to award $700 prizes to people for their 'past contributions', it really helps if there's some information on why you chose who you chose. Unless you don't care that some of us might think it's a rigged competition. Why shouldn't I think that? No need to give example names, every name is suspect when you have zero transparency.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
first, i dont usually say much, but can we take the 'youre-a-jerk' bits and not say them out loud?

second, can we then take the calm and reasoned critiques and keep them public? ive got no problem with arie, zogg, and others voicing this stuff, POLITELY.

its highly inflammatory to, say, accuse the council of abuse of power, but that doesnt mean it shouldnt be done, nor that it shouldnt be done in public. democracy, people.

can we ALL take the tone down a bit?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
id like to add my voice to zoggs/aries/creamys, and say, i dont know man, i think its messed up that the council gave it to themselves, deserving or not.

also, since its strictly a thank-you for past, possibly hitherto-unrecognized service.
why would the most important key developers not get it? id give another to rzr before id give it to, lets say, anyone on the council.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
award, community, council, device, outcry