Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Do not forget that this batch of loot is a very small fraction of the prizes. Most of it is going to the 3 coding competitions in which EVERYONE will be able to vote.
Just to clear up any misunderstanding, there is one maemo.org coding competition, and it has the same number of devices assigned to it (25) as the other device programs including the community awards. Winners will be chosen by maemo.org members.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_coding_competition_2012

The other two programs you may be referring to are the Qt5 Mobile Projects program and the New Apps for Nokia Store program. The applicants for these programs have been selected by Quim and both programs are now closed to new submissions.

I hope you'll take an interest in the coding competition vi_ with your shiny new N950, put that developer device to good use

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
I hope you'll take an interest in the coding competition vi_ with your shiny new N950, put that developer device to good use
It is not a developer device, it is a community award. It was not provided to promote Harmattan, Maemo or Nokia. It was a nice gift for all the effort I spend on maemo.org.

It would be morally wrong of me to enter the coding competition, I imagine if a person where to win 2 devices the shít-storm would be unstoppable.

I am not sure what to do with it yet, ideas include:

1. Fire it out of a cannon at a brick wall on youtube just to troll TMO to the max.

2. Sell it and blow the money on transvestite hookers.

3. Auction it on TMO and donate the money to webhosting for our new internettablettalk site.

4. Put Mer/nemo/whatever on it.

5. Use it as a fone.

But like woody said giving a device like this to a compulsive fiddler is like offering a crack pipe to a junkie...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
hmm, i read the tmo part about council participating, first Estel said it's reasonable not to, but than he claimed that maillist is better place and that TMO would have drama, after that he selectively answered to one user assuming him a troll. Nice way of an official response. And if complainigs were made and even other part wouldnt mind of them to put themselves, it should be decided not to. And not choosing the part of what suits you more.

btw who is answering to this argument with "and who are you" or "you are noobie" is smart enif to change the flow or contra attack, but it's not fight, we deciding some important point of community, and i think noobies and other memvers dont have to be award nominated to tell their opinion and it shouldnt be personal, i'm trying not to be. As well as i for example is a maemo member for a while, so u cant judge by posts and karma. Another example is rzr with huge work and ports but only few thanks, he doesnt search glory, but just do his work. So please let's not make it personal.

Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
It is not a developer device, it is a community award. It was not provided to promote Harmattan, Maemo or Nokia. It was a nice gift for all the effort I spend on maemo.org.
It is a community award, but the N950 is and forever will be a developer device. Don't believe me, then read the packaging for the magic words 'dev kit'

If you still don't believe me, then turn it over when you receive it and read what's stamped on the back of it

ie
NOT FOR SALE
DEVELOPER DEVICE
Hopefully I've convinced you, but we can agree to disagree
(Apologies to whoever I stole those images off, was a quick google search)

It would be morally wrong of me to enter the coding competition, I imagine if a person where to win 2 devices the shít-storm would be unstoppable.
Morally wrong would be a bit far, indeed as a community champion we would welcome you to take an interest in our community competiton. You are very welcome to enter, donate, or simply help spread the word to as many people as possible

If you win you could choose a N9 (as you already have a N950) or you can forfeit/nominate your winning prize to the next best placed app developer whilst still retaining your kudos as category winner.

Our winners are chosen by our members so any prize you'll win will be deserved and approved by the maemo.org community at large. So the only storm you can expect is a storm of thanks and appreciation for all your efforts!

Our competition is more than distributing devices. We are about developing skills and highlighting development within the community. We keep our categories deliberately wide to try and include as much community development as possible. There's really an opportunity for everyone to get involved with the coding competition, so i hope our new community award winners will come get involved

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-06-22 at 11:48.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by lma View Post
You can't force anyone to be interested in anything. But I see mostly newbies getting upset with this, and I'm pointing out that what they express would actually work against them.

They were elected, not appointed. The community clearly wants these 5 people to represent them, period. There can be no "shouldn't have been elected" for whatever reason. If you don't like it, simply vote for someone else next time, or even run yourself.
You're taking my statements out of context.

1. You asked if people thought they (council) would give much atention/interest in Harmaaten if they hadn't got a Harmatten device.

I hopefylly hope so as they got elected as council for maemo.org and therefore my second statement you quoted. It has nothing to do with I don't think they should've been elected at all nor that i'm dissatisfied with them. Only reason is if they only care for Harmatten cause they got a Harmattan device they shouldn't have gotten elected and then it looks odd to me they got a device in this light and does not seem like it's only judged by past deeds.

I'm not trying to say some deserves it more than others I just found your post odd and an invalid argument for why they also got a device.

Regards Dousan...

My Sřciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dousan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Hello,

It is unfortunate there is so much concern at this point.

When it was announced that community awards would be self-nominations only (I expressed my opinion that the awards also allow nominations of others but that option was decided against), I volunteered to step aside from the judging process.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=20

AFAIK, no one asked me to step aside. I also repeated this to remaining council after that, and there was no request to step aside.

I believe I would have received an award even if I had not participated in the decision making (recall that several people on Council had nominated me for council). So I don't think I personally benefited from my participation, and I do think the selection process was improved because of my participation.

This is the first free maemo device that I have ever received despite much community service. Several people requested, and were awarded, devices who already had one free device and I would rather that the process hadn't allow for that. We even got requests from people who received a free device, broken it, and were asking for another. And requests for an N9 from people who already had an N950. I have neither. We got requests from people who were obviously being greedy or who had walked away from the community or who otherwise clearly didn't deserve it. And some people didn't request a device who I thought could have rightfully done so. Trying to be as objective as I can, I do not think my award should be controversial.

Also, if Quim Gil or other Nokia representative had decided these awards, they almost certainly would have automatically included all of Council. In the early years, council automatically received free sponsorships to maemo conferences and free devices. This time was a bit different because the process was more transparent and everyone had to apply in public. I think the transparent process meant there was one device available that normally would not have been.

These devices were for community service, and so those who are not developers were intentionally not at a disadvantage, for the first time that I recall. And yes the awards were for contributions over the last couple years, so for example people who were only active in harmattan development over the last six months didn't meet the time criteria. There also seems to be a desire to award any and all harmattan development, but these were maemo.org community awards, and did not consider contributions made at other places, including our valued colleagues at Mer/Nemo.

It is unfortunate that several deserving people mentioned in this thread did not receive a device. Council spent a lot of time making the decisions. I want to congratulate the winners and thank you for your service. I hope that everyone will continue to support our efforts.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
It took a lot of time to go through all this nonsense and bitterness. Time we need for more important stuff.

Arie: all this distinctions you are making about the "Harmattan" community and naming yourself as their representative is pretty sad.

I don't want to enter into this game of FUD and childish arguments.

The fact is that the Community Awards criteria and selection process have been publicly discussed for weeks before the submissions start, both at TMO and mailing list and no one has expressed any concern about it except, precisely, the members of the Council.

Two options were proposed, first one that applying members of the Council wouldn't get any involvement in CA decision, leaving Woody as only judge (we questioned Quim if he wanted to be part of jury but he declined). Second option was that Councillors wouldn't vote for themselves but will help in organizing and selecting the rest of candidates.

Second option was chosen. I can presume Arie would have protested also on first one saying that only one person deciding was dictatorial.

Regarding the voting process, I can say that at first round only 16 people were selected as winners and that 2 of 4 Councillors applying didn't enter that list. Even more, it was needed to go to final round of voting and agreement to include the fourth candidate into the winners list.

It's absolutely understandable that anyone could prefer any other candidates to some of the selected ones. Precisely, we had different opinions on who deserved the prizes, but at the end, we have reached consensus and this Council is going to speak with one voice, so we won't publish our preferences or personal votes on candidates.
What you are failing to see is the actual amount of resentment of 4 out of 5 council members getting the award and as to the fact of discussion prior to the awards being given i am sure if it had of been known BEFORE the winners were known that 4 members of a 5 member council were winners then i think something would have been said at that point but as no one realised this would be the case it would never have crossed anyone's mind that this would happen.

It has happened and because of the amount of resentment i suggest all 4 council members pick 4 new winners and send there device accordingly to settle all arguments.

It sure as hell looks bad for this council and you might find it will stain it for as long as it remains in term so really you need to think about this and act now before you do get any further problems.

I posted to re-elect on the grounds of the people's response and as that got no response i think it only fair that council members and those who now have 2 devices give them up for new winners, this will for sure settle it.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Hello,

It is unfortunate there is so much concern at this point.

This award should never have been judged by the current council IF it meant they were actual contenders let alone 4 out of 5 of them were winners, bad timing completely as it should have been done by the previous council.

What should have been the case is that ALL council members should have been exempt from this competition for obvious reasons as it would be fair to say that in a Nokia competition no staff are even allowed entry and therefore can not be winners.

A better example is a singing competition such as factor x , would you ever see one of the judges as a contender? NO because it is not right that a situation like that should occur.

This has not only put a stain on the current council members it has also stained the community and added to the "we take care of our own not others" situation.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2012-06-22 at 14:34.

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
All those people complaining about the judging process:
You are to late! You should have raised your hand weeks ago.

You all did know that the council members would decide about the
community award and you all know that there were council members
running for it.

What's the point in waiting after the final decisions was made?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
Ah, well, I primarily blame an annoying, little fellow named "Aegis" for this.

Edit: But that's totally off topic here.
Inception solved that problem.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Closed Thread

Tags
award, community, council, device, outcry