Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post
I think there's more chance of Elop being voted in as the new president of Finland to be honest mate.

The Maemo harddrives are toast, and Elop struck the match.
That's not it, certain parts of Maemo and Harmattan are closed source, so Nokia has no right to release those parts. If you look through certain threads it's mentioned and discussed extensively.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Well, it's good that they're doing this QA for popular apps for PR1.3, but it seems they're not giving N950 owners early access as before? I think someone should email Mr. Elop and advise him of this amazing money-saving opportunity! Do the work to push out a prerelease to N950 and then you don't have to redo all the QA as all the devs will do it for you! You might even be able to afford one Meltemi developer with the money you save!

The Following User Says Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
Well, it's good that they're doing this QA for popular apps for PR1.3, but it seems they're not giving N950 owners early access as before? I think someone should email Mr. Elop and advise him of this amazing money-saving opportunity! Do the work to push out a prerelease to N950 and then you don't have to redo all the QA as all the devs will do it for you! You might even be able to afford one Meltemi developer with the money you save!
Don't fool yourself Nokia shot itself in the face, saving money is not in their goal, wasting resources to make WP the only platform is...

This behavior will also be the end of Nokia.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
That's not it, certain parts of Maemo and Harmattan are closed source, so Nokia has no right to release those parts. If you look through certain threads it's mentioned and discussed extensively.
What use they got for it? their Windows exclusive now, Meego, Meltemi and Symbian are not needed for them anymore

The Following User Says Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
What use they got for it? their Windows exclusive now, Meego, Meltemi and Symbian are not needed for them anymore
Other companies have made those parts, Nokia only licensed them for use.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Elop: "Come in!"
The one remaining Nokia Linux dev: "Just to ask, how much will it cost us to get clearance and open source all the Maemo line?"
Elop: "An absolute boatload of cash, legal will be going over it for at least six months. How long will it take you to strip out all the 3rd party code we licensed, references to products we haven't released yet, make sure it still works, write compiling howtos, and set up a hosting website?"
Dev: "Oh, ages."
Elop: "And what would be the benefit from this?"
Dev: "A minor PR boost - a handful of FOSS people are asking for it on forums"
Elop: "OK, well, will those people come back to Nokia, buy phones and generate word of mouth?"
Dev: "Lumias?"
Elop: "Yeah"
Dev: "Not a chance in hell"
Elop: *pulls trapdoor lever, dev plunges into fiery pit* ... "NEXT!"

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
I wonder after the Meego-Harmattan project is fully closed, will they be able to release the development tools and source code to us. I wish they do so we could continue making our own updates!
As already stated MILLION times!

NO because of licens issues, third partys(TI is one big issue in case of GFX,Wifi driver) etc..

And the swipeUI is probadly used on S40 devices.

If you want a open device start contribute to nemomobile and QT, and stop dream about Nokia open up harmattan swipeUI and apps
because: IT WILL NOT HAPPEN

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-06-23 at 19:19.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
Why the hell do you think he would care? He want every damn apps to fail on N9 to make sure every customer gets even more pissed.

Atleast what that man has done so far. Why would he change now?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
But.... Nokia said "The beta test is over" when it released the L900......
Yeah, it's over. They went back to an alpha stage of testing instead.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK

Tags
bugfix-focused, dashed hopes, nokia fanbois, popcorn, pr1.3, pr1.3 party, troll alert