Active Topics

Originally Posted by kate View Post
We are planning to buy three servers for Nemein to run maemo.org to end of year. At the moment I don't see any reason why these servers could not be used serve maemo.org later.
Obvious question: who owns these?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
That was obviously a typo for "maemo.org".
Ah, makes a lot more sense that way. My mistake.

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Spain, EU
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I'm wondering, how "transferable" forum content (database) is between crappy vBulletin and something Open Source'd, like phpBB.
Not getting into technical details, there may be legal issues there too. Can we just transfer personal data about users that may be stored in their profiles to the new entity that manages the forum? At least in the EU, I think it may be neccessary to request permission from the users to do so. All in all, I have added a few notes to the wiki so this issue is considered

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kevloral For This Useful Post:
They are the current infrastructure maintainers under contract with Nokia. AFAIK the actual hosting is on a third-party ISP. You would have to ask Nemein whether they would be willing to sponsor maemo.org later, but it might be difficult for them at a time when they will have just lost a major source of income.
Nemein is company currently maintaining maemo.org and they will be also hosting maemo.org next 6 months. Currently there is other hosting company but it will be easier to have all in same hands.

I can't speak for Nemein and I don't know who is sponsoring maemo.org in 2013 and how much sponsoring money community gets. It is up to community to decide who will host and who will maintain it. I just hope that community gets sponsors and I hope that Nokia could sponsor even part of it but it is not in my hands.

Kate

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to kate For This Useful Post:
Obvious question: who owns these?
That's good question. I prefer that it could be "maemo community" but I think that there is not yet such legal entity.

Good proposal would be that community forms some legal entity or co-operates some existing one ( linux.org ? , is there one related with kde ? ). Legal entity would be also needed if any juridical arrangements are done with use of maemo trade mark etc.

Kate

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kate For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by kate View Post
That's good question. I prefer that it could be "maemo community" but I think that there is not yet such legal entity.

Good proposal would be that community forms some legal entity or co-operates some existing one ( linux.org ? , is there one related with kde ? ). Legal entity would be also needed if any juridical arrangements are done with use of maemo trade mark etc.

Kate
Kate,

The proposal for a legal entity has already been made. Thank you for indicating there will be some cooperation with it.
We are planning on a community independent of kde, although there might be some relationship with Mer/Nemo.

I am heading the legal group for the maemo community. Please contact me with further details. I will want to know when the three servers will be available and the countries in which the maemo trademark has been registered.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
First off, we'll need to host TMO with our own money, unless you want to go with crappy free hosts or gasp, be incorporated into a XDA subforum.
(Also, if we needed to cut costs, we could switch away from vBulletin to something free, like phpBB.)
Same with the front page, althought I guess with the right forum layout, we can discard that too.
As for a WMO alternative, I guess if we really needed to start shaving costs we could put the articles up on Wikipedia after some heavy cleanup.
And for the autobuilder, if the MeeGo OBS really is getting shut down, I guess we have no other choice than to rent a VPS and run our own instance of OBS there.
(this would probably host the repos too).

IIRC, github does free hosting of simple webpages.
We can use some free/cheap hosting (even if these aren't nice domains, we can use dot.tk)

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
The proposal for a legal entity has already been made. Thank you for indicating there will be some cooperation with it. We are planning on a community independent of kde, although there might be some relationship with Mer/Nemo.
Is that proposal you are referring to documented somewhere? Also, who is the "we" (in red)?

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I am heading the legal group for the maemo community.
Can you identify the members of this legal group?

Thanks.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
The hosting issue can be solved by approaching http://osuosl.org/ who host many large open source projects.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cas07 For This Useful Post:
For those asking about the forum:

1. It is currently hosted on a dedicated 8GB 2GHz quad-core Xeon server from softlayer.com (server location: Dallas, TX USA)
2. Backup (daily): on same server (with RAID 5). Offsite: NAS from softlayer.com (NAS location: Washington, DC USA)
3. Forum disk space size: ~12GB
4. Monthly bandwidth: ~450GB
5. Number of emails sent per week (mostly from forum reply notification): ~8000

I personally own the vBulletin license, so a new vBulletin license is required (~$195).

For those asking, yes a lot of the forum systems (including open source ones) have vB migration tools. Sure, a cheaper or free forum system can be used but think about the expertise of the volunteer who intend to administer it (both the front and back end). Think about daily backup, DDoS attacks, automated spammer attacks, etc. The admnistrator(s) should be able to perform/monitor/avoid these 24 hrs/day.

There is also the task of creating custom plug-ins. As an example, TMO has a custom plug-in that links with the Maemo.org membership database so karma can be computed correctly off the members' TMO posts/thanks. Not all forum systems have the 'Thanks' featue, so think about how that can be supported and the thanks data migrated.

If moving to a new domain/forum name, I agree that members should be notified and asked for their permission.

Last edited by Reggie; 2012-06-25 at 18:10.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:

Tags
goodbye nokia, responsibility