Active Topics

Notices

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,396 | Thanked: 2,796 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Caracas, Venezuela
People relax.

Remember that Whatsapp is not a documented protocol. Every single feature even if it's a totally stupid feature has to be reversed and analyzed to see how it is implemented in other platforms. It's not like I can read a book "oh ok I just have to send these bytes and that's it!".

I have absolutely NO IDEA how to change the status. And when I tried to reverse it, it was sent via SSL to the Whatsapp servers, so it's encrypted. Since that's a not really useful feature, I will delay that as much as possible, since what Yappari need is full 100% Whatsapp standard functionality (that is multimedia messages and contact synchronization). After that, we can think about things that are not really that useful, but they are nice to have.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Scorpius For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by llucax View Post
Sorry to insist, but did you see this part of the message? Does this makes any sense and is it sensible to implement?

Thanks.
When Yappari starts it reads the contacts list, so it's "cached". Every time you click on Create Chat, is the cache that's shown.

Let's say I don't cache it (which is bad idea). When you click on Create Chat and Yappari reads the list of contacts, it will crash anyway, you will never be able to select one.

I guess I'd have to change that to a native implementation to access the Maemo address book but it's just very few people that has this bug and couldn't fix it with the export/import trick, so it's not a priority right now.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Apeldoorn area, Netherlands
Congratulations on 350+ downloads. Let's hope for more in the future. I hope this project won't ask too much from you since you have been giving so much good updates.

Hope you got something out of the donations!

Cheers!

The Following User Says Thank You to Wreck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 241 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
thank you scorpius for this great app, finally whatsapp on my N900.
two things:
1. did whatsapp finally open their api or why is it possible to use it without an official whatsapp release for maemo?
2. you mentioned in your first post:
PLEASE DON'T INSTALL/USE YAPPARI IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO SEND A LOG. WHILE IT'S ALPHA IS INTENDED FOR EXPERIENCED N900 USERS ONLY
As I am willing to support the development of this great program, do i need to start Yappari from terminal to get a log? or how especially can I contribute?

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ under the sky
Scorpius you dont have to explain your self about what is useful and not. We have full trust that your doing what is best by implementing important features first. Keep up the good work.

I have one question, is your code open source? If not please consider so for the future as someone might pickup the development process after you sometime in the future.

The Following User Says Thank You to TDSii For This Useful Post:
Yappari 0.0.10 was downloaded 711 times and 0.0.12 was downloaded 695 times!

And I also have to thank everybody for their donations, that really has kept me going!!!

Originally Posted by raily View Post
thank you scorpius for this great app, finally whatsapp on my N900.
two things:
1. did whatsapp finally open their api or why is it possible to use it without an official whatsapp release for maemo?
2. you mentioned in your first post:

As I am willing to support the development of this great program, do i need to start Yappari from terminal to get a log? or how especially can I contribute?
Whatsapp has never opened their API. We're hacking it. We're disassembling the executables of other platforms. We're running sniffers in our networks, etc. We're doing what we can. (We as in me with Yappari, the guys @ Wazapp, and even peterbjornx with his Java port). And we're doing it just because they refused to create clients for our platform (they have that right though).

Just like MSN and other protocols that have never been open. People hack it.

The log is in /home/user/.config/scorpius/yappari.log. If you get a bug, a crash or something weird, you have to send me your log. Posts like "I'm getting I/O errors" are not useful at all.

Yappari is not Open Source and will not be while it's alpha. The code is not organized and full of copyrighted words (the word "Whatsapp" appears everywhere for example, and there are a lot more). It has to be cleaned up for that. I will do it, but right now I want to concentrate in having a full working client, that we can do most things. That is, creating groups, participating in them, leaving them, sending multimedia messages, receiving them, and see who has Whatsapp installed from our friends.

After that I will clean up the code, I will open it (hopefully, you know lawsuits are not fun) and make a list of everything you guys request from that day on. We can slow the pace a little bit at that point and other devs can participate. We'll see.

Last edited by Scorpius; 2012-06-28 at 22:47.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scorpius For This Useful Post:
what about forward or copy and paste of messages to other friends

Jesus Christ I'm totally wasting my words here...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scorpius For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
When Yappari starts it reads the contacts list, so it's "cached". Every time you click on Create Chat, is the cache that's shown.

Let's say I don't cache it (which is bad idea). When you click on Create Chat and Yappari reads the list of contacts, it will crash anyway, you will never be able to select one.
Well, what I mean is NEVER getting any contacts from qt mobility, so it never crashes. That way at least I could receive whatsapp messages (and reply to them), I guess.

Too bad the source code is not available so I can try to implement what's most important to me instead of having to depend on your efforts and priorities and having to guess how things work...

Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Jesus Christ I'm totally wasting my words here...
I know how frustrating it can be sometimes when developing apps. Just so you have another data point, I think it's great work that you, the Wazapp and java port guys are all doing, and I really appreciate all your hard work.

I also know how mind-crushingly hard it can be reverse-engineering closed protocols and formats, so from my side, you can take as long as you like to implement whatever features you choose - I appreciate any and all functionality you can add to Yappari

(Also, I love the name Yappari, especially after your explanation a bazillion pages ago )

The Following User Says Thank You to karatestarfish For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
alpha, awesomeness, best_client, let_it_die, mumbai_dumbai, read_first_post, whatsapp