If there really is a backup plan it most likely will be to make Nokia OS (Series 40) compatible with Android applications (atleast the JVM apps anyway).
That is my guess anyway based on the inclusion of touch in the latest version with a UI similar to MeeGo and all the updates to the Series 40 Java SDK.
I believe Nokia isn't allowed to use a different external OS for at least 3 years if the rumours about the microsoft deal are correct, this way it would bypass that problem and still switch to Android (more or less).

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by jpetrise View Post
the new rumour is Microsoft is looking to help RIM...
A rumour based on idle speculation by technology bloggers that has already been flatly refuted by RIM's CEO

I have no doubt that MS would like to see QT disappear into obscurity, but adding two rumours together doesn't make fact.

One could also speculate that the comments by Siilasmaa are nothing more than an attempt to halt the stock price slide.

If you can accept that the board supported the decision to go with WP, is it then so hard to believe that the same board wouldn't have placed a caveat on the deal (or at least a get out of jail card)?

MeeGo/Harmattan is as good a Plan B as any. Nokia continues to offer suppport to the N9 and is still actively encouraging development, through the device programs that are running as well as encouraging devs to port their existing QT based apps for symbian across to Meego/Harmattan via the SDK.

Even now, Harmattan offers a stable platform base and only lacks the application "ecosystem" (god i hate that word), to compete in a market that thinks it's all about numbers.....

It's ironic that the hardware and design of the N9 formed the basis for the Lumia line up and the only good thing most reviewers had to say about the Lumia is it's great hardware and design!

Pretty much all of the reviews on the N9, were consistently positive about the OS and the UI and all lamented the "demise" of such a promising OS.

2 Years ago, no-one would have Believed Nokia would adopt WP7 as their preferred high end OS. It's not such a stretch to think that Maemo may yet return, in it's current (or new) iteration as the in house saviour as things turn sour.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 32 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ London
@onethreealpha When did i make reference to anything i wrote being fact ?
you are speculating the same as i am, yet you feel the need to make a mute point that had no value.

anything is possible according to your own comment about Nokia going with Winphone, plus do CEO's always speak the truth did elop not say there is No plan B.

Last edited by jpetrise; 2012-07-01 at 11:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to jpetrise For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
an admission finally, that there is in fact, another option...

Is there trouble in paradise? Or is the chairman of the board trying to distance himself from the inevitable outcome of a decision he supported?
It's interesting to see that despite e-flop's "we have no plan b" comments, the chairman himself would be prepared to come out and say otherwise.

Anyone for step 7 of 6 perhaps?
Rotfl. The planb is microsoft buys Nokia.its definitivly NOT anything to do with Qt or Linux thats for sure.

Or more exacly it. Just talk to not scare the investors.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by milanjakob View Post
Can Nokia really use Harmattan as a back up strategy? Its based on MeeGo 1.2. Im not really aware of what MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan means, but can Nokia just develop MeeGo further without Intel?
No they cantthe team behind qt and harmattan is gone or ousourced now.

Why cant people here stop dream? Linux and Qt is over inside Nokia!

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
A rumour based on idle speculation by technology bloggers that has already been flatly refuted by RIM's CEO

I have no doubt that MS would like to see QT disappear into obscurity, but adding two rumours together doesn't make fact.

One could also speculate that the comments by Siilasmaa are nothing more than an attempt to halt the stock price slide.

If you can accept that the board supported the decision to go with WP, is it then so hard to believe that the same board wouldn't have placed a caveat on the deal (or at least a get out of jail card)?

MeeGo/Harmattan is as good a Plan B as any. Nokia continues to offer suppport to the N9 and is still actively encouraging development, through the device programs that are running as well as encouraging devs to port their existing QT based apps for symbian across to Meego/Harmattan via the SDK.

Even now, Harmattan offers a stable platform base and only lacks the application "ecosystem" (god i hate that word), to compete in a market that thinks it's all about numbers.....

It's ironic that the hardware and design of the N9 formed the basis for the Lumia line up and the only good thing most reviewers had to say about the Lumia is it's great hardware and design!

Pretty much all of the reviews on the N9, were consistently positive about the OS and the UI and all lamented the "demise" of such a promising OS.

2 Years ago, no-one would have Believed Nokia would adopt WP7 as their preferred high end OS. It's not such a stretch to think that Maemo may yet return, in it's current (or new) iteration as the in house saviour as things turn sour.
Ofcourse CEO is saying its rumor but fact stand RIM has big problems to so I doubt they will get a chance with bb10 they are doomedas much as tizen, maemo is. One device then its over..

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Tizen can survive since Samsung running the show they have best sellers in almost all sizes with the galaxy line. They can afford release a few devices with small OSes and small sales in parts of the world.

Tizen is not dead yet. Stop trolling mikecomputing.

I think Nokia shall join Tizen as part of plan B.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

very good point

not clear whether it was quoted verbatim by the author of the interview / article or merged in "to add sense to the verbiage" but supposedly Symbian devices weren't selling anymore before Flop came in...

[...]

Maemo (/MeeGo) is a R&D project, not a commercial one.
even if the N9's success exceeded anything NOKIA had expected, it is far from enough to keep NOKIA going.
the death blow to NOKIA was given by Flop when he made his burning platform statement.
this is indeed sent the Symbian sales down, but as long as Symbian was pretty much the only platform they had, it kept selling.
the moment the WP crap came...

the end of NOKIA isn't to be attributed to technical failure, but to the harakiri like behavior of Flop.

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
**** nokia here is prenokias employers backup plan:

http://gigaom.com/europe/nokias-secr...ng-for-refuge/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
I really hope Nokia backup plan is successor of N9, but this time using same kernel instead of whole new kernel ..for app compatibility sake.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soryuuha For This Useful Post: