Did Nokia kill off that futurist team as well?

It seems to me that the Chair is talking BS.

It would be relatively easy even at this late stage for Nokia to come and take back the market from Apple and Android.

People don't care what OS is on their smartphones. They just care that it can do what they want (not much it just has to be accessible), that it looks good and that it makes them look good.

This is how Apple went from selling Macs to taking over the world with a portable music player.

But Nokia don't have any options left apart from a late jump into Android, backing Tizen or BB10, or trying to resurrect Meego with all their expertise sacked. So I think it's BS to keep the shareholders happy.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Mark your calendars folks.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
I agreed with Lumiaman and that's unprecedented, thus mark your calendars.

Last edited by gerbick; 2012-07-05 at 17:23. Reason: Removed a misspell.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 863 | Thanked: 213 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Goa
its time for nokia to create new operating system on its own

Originally Posted by seanmcken View Post
its time for nokia to create new operating system on its own
Why? They just got rid of 3 (Symbian, Maemo and Meltemi) for WP7, which dead ends and is not upgradeable to WP8. And don't forget they bought Smarterphone last year.

Wait. In one fell swoop, Symbian, Maemo/MeeGo, Meltemi and Smarterphone have died in the last year basically. Wow.

Posts: 863 | Thanked: 213 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Goa
look nowadays everyone is dying for more apps like android or windows i guess. and nokia is not good in that. symbian? it sucks buddy i agree with symbian 3 and they baught n900 but n900 doesnt hav anything official like no proper games like specially made for n900. we cannot go on hacking everything for phone. there must be some discipline and u nokia launches a phone then its his responsibility to look after it and get apps for it.

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
My analogy is on target. RIM and NOKIA cant do software like ios, windows and android. Compared to the trio, RIM And NOKIA are 1950s cadillacs
m@ke$$h!t just wrote off 6.4 billion small change for their search fiasco
in 10 years at most nobody will even remember m@ke$$h!t

facts..........

great contribution from NOKIA to m@ke$$h!t sales, huh >¦-)
nota bene, 2011 includes LostDOS imMobilized as well, which NOKIA never sold...

thnaks Flop ¦-))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Attached Images

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Why? They just got rid of 3 (Symbian, Maemo and Meltemi) for WP7, which dead ends and is not upgradeable to WP8. And don't forget they bought Smarterphone last year.

Wait. In one fell swoop, Symbian, Maemo/MeeGo, Meltemi and Smarterphone have died in the last year basically. Wow.
Producing what users see as an "operating system" takes a long time, even if funding isn't a problem. The development of core OS, user interface, development tools and applications just takes a lot of time because it all builds on top of each other, and that isn't even taking third-party software ecosystem and cloud/internet services into consideration.

With all the innovation in the mobile space and all the added functionality it makes it harder and harder a for a new Operating system to gain any sizable market-share.
I would say that establishing a new OS takes at least 4 years.
Nokia just pushed the reset button on vital parts of the OS too many times (possibly with very good reasons, as in: "our current implementation sucks" )

Whatever you say about microsoft, the development of the mobile OS was much more organized and better thought out.
A large part of the user interface was established with the Zune HD in september 2009. The phone applications stack, development environment and store infrastructure were started with Windows Phone 7 in 2010 and refined in 2011. And we (probably) will see a more modern core OS and much more cloud services integration with the Windows Phone 8 release this year.

I haven't actually used a Windows Phone on a day-to-day basis, but the UI is very smooth and I think the entire OS looks beautiful.
And everyone that I know that do use a Windows Phone device are very happy. A good start to build your market-share.

Calling WP7 a "dead-end" might not be true. It very much remains to be seen if WP8 will come to low-end devices in the short term. I would not be surprised if Nokia/MS will keep WP7 for low-end devices during 2013.

By dead end, it means that a current gen WP7.5 device cannot be upgraded past 7.8 to 8.0.

WP7 is still built on top of WinCE whereas WP8 is built around the NT kernel.