Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by lma View Post
It's interesting to note that in their stats Nokia is the WP7 vendor with the fewer sales though. What does it say that Samsung is kicking their behinds even in the Windows market? Or that webOS sold twice as many units nearly a year after being declared dead?
As far as I understood, these percentages were not for units sold in Q2, but for the total market. So the webOS share shows how many of them are still in use...

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
According to Wikipedia, US has 327M cellphone subscribers. Nielsen says about 55% of those use smartphones, and of those 0.3% have Lumias. That would mean slightly more than half million Lumias sold in US by end of Q2.
Asymco was using these figures + comScore and came to 330k Lumias sold in US.

HP phones, they still exist?

I had a HP phone, running Windows Mobile 6. It received 0 firmware upgrades from Windows/HP, it was more like an old Ipaq than a phone in usage, and it had very limited OS tools.

Going from that to Maemo 5 was like going from a calculator to a [S]laptop[/S] tabletPC. Then going from Maemo 5 to Android 2 was like going from a [S]laptop[/S] tabletPC to a tablet.

At any price, I would buy a Lumia 900. That Any price is somewhere under £80, as opposed to the somewhere over £150 I'd be willing to pay for the N9. Unlocked and without a contract of course. At a contract, I'd not be willing to buy a Lumia at any price.

Last edited by volt; 2012-07-13 at 20:34.

More layoffs
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...bution-centers

Stock back down to $1.84 again.

Why fire everybody when they could fix so much of their deteriorating value by firing one?

- Because they actually do want to trim down the organization, and as soon as the unpopular part is done, they'll bring in a CEO who's good at (re-)building?

- Because they can't admit they chose the wrong strategy?

One of these, I'd think.

Windows 8 is slowing down Lumia sales and Nokia is building fewer Lumia phones for the next months. Nokia's orders from subcontractor Compal are down four tens from May to June. Meaning we've already seen the best Windows Phone 7.x numbers and that it's going to decline until Windows 8.

This despite Nokia announcing their continued push for Windows Phone 7.x.

Source of my source: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120711PD208.html

Nokias failed strategy is just too obvious. I predicted that it would have to be Windows 8 and not Windows Phone 7 that would eventually save Nokia, and that was February 11th, 2011. I predicted that Nokia had just shot it's milking cow and would have a hard time holding on till Windows 8. Might be a lucky guess, but I think I will explain Elops Windows Phone failure like this:

premature ejaculation.

If Nokia had said they'd extend their product portfolio by embracing Windows Phone in parts of their segment while still running full steam on Symbian, stock value would have gone up, not down. It would have shown that they saw their predicaments and secured an alternative leg to stand on. No, they said: NOKIA can't make software, our **** is horrible, DON'T BUY! But remember, we will make Microsoft phones - eventually!

I think if you said on Tuesday that the stock price would be sitting at $1.83, Nokia investors would be relatively pleased. That's because in comparison to freefalling to $1.77 (lowest price since 1994), the past two days the stock price has held up relatively well. However looking at the volumes traded I can't help to see the signature of short trading and options traders again, imo trying to squeeze the last pennies out of the price before the end of next week and the earnings calls.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-07-14 at 01:24.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Impressive rant.

A company can burn off values only so long and still be undervalued. I would say that it was Symbian that was undervalued when Elop decided to set a fire on it. Losing several billions in revenue and stock value and not being able to turn that trend around at all will eventually lead to the actual value being the debt of the bankruptcy.

Oh, and CLEARLY Maemo (both 5, dropped/replaced, and 6, murdered) was undervalued.

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen