idea of expandable widgets for Jolla OS

http://talk.maemo.org/attachment.php...1&d=1342208281
Attached Images

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Odd_gunnic View Post
idea of expandable widgets for Jolla OS

http://talk.maemo.org/attachment.php...1&d=1342208281
No need for splash screen, just small load bar under icon

Last edited by mariusmssj; 2012-07-13 at 19:50.

never thought there was anything wrong with the n9 power saving and it is a fully multitasking phone. Using the N900s it was the same, so why is everyone complaining about it?

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
no need for splash scree, just load under icon
This might be quite nice for starting multiple applications at once.

On the other hand, you usually don't know the progress of an application starting up. I see a few ways how to handle this though:
  • you animate the progress-bar based on last startup time
  • you provide an API (DBUS or maybe a /proc/ file) that application can use to report startup progress

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
never thought there was anything wrong with the n9 power saving and it is a fully multitasking phone. Using the N900s it was the same, so why is everyone complaining about it?
NO one is complaining just making suggestions, it's good but nor perfect working together we can hopefully help to improve it!

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
This might be quite nice for starting multiple applications at once.

On the other hand, you usually don't know the progress of an application starting up. I see a few ways how to handle this though:
  • you animate the progress-bar based on last startup time
  • you provide an API (DBUS or maybe a /proc/ file) that application can use to report startup progress
yeah i agree just an animation not a progress one but a continuous one

because some app like drive to take a while to boot up and during that time you lose control of the phone

Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
Crazy idea: some setting option in system setting with two options about multitasking:
1. Android/iOS-ish multitasking or Power Saver mode - Kill or freeze background apps.
2. Real multitasking - run the app fully in background unless app itself has some code to freeze it while in background.

This setting shuld pop up on first boot of the device (just like date and time or email accounts in Android).

Expandable widgets would be nice for getting quick information, animation would be like the way folders behave on iOS or N9 but instead have info cards within for example the weather icon would pull a quick forecast, or sports and scores, calendar and appointments etc,.

Originally Posted by Petteri View Post
I think this is really bad desing. You should not force applications to do anything. There should be nice APIs and instructions for that kind of stuff so that developers themselves can make the call when needed and proper quality assurance to see that applications are working as they should. There is no need to cripple our nice Linux OS.
I tend to agree. It's very hard to make universally efficient system. A lot depends on applications themselves. If applications are aware of power consumption issues, the will act more efficiently. I.e. special power saving modes in XMPP (like presence queues from Google), IMAP IDLE and etc. Proper applications design is the key, the system can't account for every single use case in the application.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-07-13 at 20:25.

Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
No need for splash screen, just small load bar under icon
This is used for indication of installation/upgrade progress (it's a proposal for freedesktop.org even), not the loading progress.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla