I see nothing there about what they are starting and what they are doing later on. You are reading your own assumption into that. So relax and wait for more concrete statements/actions from Jolla. It takes more time to "lock" something. Unlocked variant should be implicitly there already and doesn't really require anything "later on". Just my thoughts about it.

Originally Posted by specc View Post
The difference is that Google started with a developer device, Jolly is starting with a pure unhackable consumer device. The Galaxy Nexus is as good a developer phone as anything, everything is open and free.
Um, the Nexus One (which was the first Android dev phone) didn't come out until 2010, a year after the first Android phone, the G1.

this link has been posted before but it seems it is needed again so here it is: http://www.intomobile.com/2012/07/11...ext-available/
there is only one device announced with developer mode available, about ecosystem there is nothing announced till later on when the device will be officialy announced.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by specc View Post
If Jolla had some cool new ideas regarding ecosystems...
I don't know what you mean by "ecosystem", nor do I know what Jolla is up to. But I know what the ecosystem that I want, no, that I need is: the internet. I don't want one app store only, I want community repositories, debs, sources. I don't want one PC application that takes care of syncing, I want standards like USB and Bluetooth to just work between any device and my smartphone. I don't want to subscribe to yet another so-called cloud service to host my pictures or contacts, I want to continue using those that already work for me.

After all, that's what smartphones are all about. The other thing, the device that comes with its own ecosystem and forces the consumer into this trap, is not a smartphone.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I don't know what you mean by "ecosystem", nor do I know what Jolla is up to. But I know what the ecosystem that I want, no, that I need is: the internet. I don't want one app store only, I want community repositories, debs, sources. I don't want one PC application that takes care of syncing, I want standards like USB and Bluetooth to just work between any device and my smartphone. I don't want to subscribe to yet another so-called cloud service to host my pictures or contacts, I want to continue using those that already work for me.

After all, that's what smartphones are all about. The other thing, the device that comes with its own ecosystem and forces the consumer into this trap, is not a smartphone.

That's is what Web applications and Web OSs. Like tizen will give you. Localized "stores" you don't need an app, and just a plug in...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
I know what the ecosystem that I want, no, that I need is: the internet. I don't want one app store only, I want community repositories, debs, sources. I don't want one PC application that takes care of syncing, I want standards like USB and Bluetooth to just work between any device and my smartphone. I don't want to subscribe to yet another so-called cloud service to host my pictures or contacts, I want to continue using those that already work for me.

This - the first sentence especially - articulates my feelings on the subject also.

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
I see nothing there about what they are starting and what they are doing later on. You are reading your own assumption into that. So relax and wait for more concrete statements/actions from Jolla. It takes more time to "lock" something. Unlocked variant should be implicitly there already and doesn't really require anything "later on". Just my thoughts about it.
You are a bunch of hopeless romantics I'm sure if they locked it down in a safe, 1000 feet below the surface you would still say it is open and free because it's "based on Mer"

That is what I want too. The N900 alternative with no ecosystem built into it. If you read the interview however, that is definitely not what Jolla is cooking up.

Therefore I don't see Jolla as an alternative, it's just yet another closed system "based on open source core". Android without apps and the Google ecosystem essentially.

I may be wrong, but based on what is known today, that is definitely where Jolla is headed.

Given this rumour:

Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
This hasn't been posted here, but as it's a tasty rumor why not add it. From MyNokiaBlog comments:
and the recent interview with Jolla:

I noticed this quote, on apps:

Originally Posted by Jussi Hurmola, on apps said...
I believe that we have answer for this...and I understand that you cannot seriously sell a smartphone if you don't have sufficient a application offering, and I think we can answer those questions, but we will answer them when we publish our product.
Does this cryptic answer hint towards the above rumour being true? (or is at least being planned.)

There must be a study that correlates humanistic behavioral mannerisms (lord of the flies?) with the way this thread is going. Stop speculating on rumors, assumptions and bad translations. Wait for them to explain their strategy then jump in, they haven't done that so far.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla