Active Topics

I have installed a few add ons, but nothing that is running in the background (other than the load applet) and I have noticed a significant battery performance dips.

I recently realized that there is a difference between true idle and just not using the tablet.

If I leave the tablet on with the browser open, the battery drains much faster than if the browser is closed. I figure that it has something to do with flash ads etc. within web pages running on continuing loops.

So, in the future I will be closing out all windows before leaving in idle.

Any other thoughts or suggestions about power efficiencies?

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
download osso-statusbar_cpu and before you put it into idle see if any progs are sucking up cpu or memory and kill the process

Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
download osso-statusbar_cpu and before you put it into idle see if any progs are sucking up cpu or memory and kill the process
Do you think the osso-status bar is a better utility than the Load applet? (which I believe does the same thing plus screen shots)

Edit: I just did a quick search, and statisbar does look like a nice little utility (and it does include screen shots).

Last edited by crabolsky; 2008-01-03 at 19:55.

Originally Posted by crabolsky View Post
Do you think the osso-status bar is a better utility than the Load applet? (which I believe does the same thing plus screen shots)
In my opinion load-applet looks better, but the clock and custom command menu makes osso-statusbar-cpu the winner for me.

Perhaps there really isn't any "tricks" to power conservation, but I wanted to bump just in case there were more suggestions

I have a feeling the battery last longer if you lock the screen & keys

/gunnar

I was getting very poor performance a couple of weeks ago. I turned off the extended virtual memory, and changed two smaller capacity SD cards for one bigger one. I'm not sure which made the difference, but I'm getting great battery life now.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I'm in the middle of an N800/OS2008 run down test:

Fresh flash of 2.2007.50-2 on N800, no restore, configured only language and region (ie. Bluetooth and WiFi not configured/enabled), 128MB Swap (it's using the swap created by a previous installation), 2x 4GB Transcend SDHC cards

So far the battery is showing 3 bars out of 4 after 5.5 days idle, screen & keys have not been locked.

I'm not sure it's CPU hogging which is killing your battery (and therefore you'll have troubles seeing the effect with one of the CPU meters), but rather the processor being woken by expiring timers (which ought to be stopped when the device is locked or an app goes to the background).

The terminal is a culprit of this behaviour.

Just in case this should interest anyone: the Gmail notifier statusbar applet (mnotify, IIRC) caused immense battery drain to my tablet.