Active Topics

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Yes, it is licensing and (quite strict) certification. You'd need to get through fairly good amount of algorithmic and hardware design work on mobile to pass the certification test though, it is far from being a money question only.

One of big issues in mobile imaging is level of parasite heat you would get around sensor. 10C increase in surrounding temperature would bring your noise level up dramatically. And getting temperature raise is easy when sensor is active -- a typical video or photo recording exercises sensor, CPU, RAM, and storage continuously which dissipates heat. 10-15 minutes and your device will be hot to feel. Same with long calls. It is always a battle with laws of physics and product constraints.

Part of Zeiss certification is set of temperature tests when device is put through high and low temperature modes. Think of Middle East or Sahara outdoors usage or Arctic subzero exposure.

N900 and N9 did pass Carl Zeiss certification. Of course, it is not heaven but the certification gives you some assurance on quality under slightly abnormal conditions -- as much as it is possible to use a phone in those conditions.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to abbra For This Useful Post:
Lenses do have a big part to play in a camera's performance. That's why Panasonic bought Leica, and uses the Leica technology on their cameras

Having said that though, there's still a lot of other variables, such as the sensor, image processing algorithms etc etc

An interesting point to note is that the Pureview 808 uses a proper glass lens

The Following User Says Thank You to Dared For This Useful Post:
Very true... Lenses do play a crucial part in camera's performance and yes Nokia 808 pureview 41 megapixel camera sensor phone is a great example. Nokia 808 pureview uses a proper lens that results in great picture.

Originally Posted by Grazy View Post
I saw a video about this! its not even glass! they use plastic lenses for mobile phones!! but like you say its certified or made by Carl Zeiss!
yes. the lens isn't made of glass, but some kind of plastic. carl zeiss R&D. the picture quality depends on that, sensor, software, ecc..

cheers,
no_nuke

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by taviman View Post
while i haven't tried the sgs i am a fairly experinced photographer.
The common approach for compensting a low quality lens or sensor is via the in camera processing. A picture can be blurry and noisy, but a strong correction can make the average user to think the picture is "good". Oversharpening and boosting the color levels is quite common with high end cameras like canon.

having said this, i am very pleased with the n9 as my carry on camera. The pictures are sharp with lots of details and the processing is decent.
Nokia has a tradition in this regard.
Yeah and one good thing about Nokia was theyr good camera mobiles, not only N8/800 also N9. And that makes me angry cause now only winner on this is Microsoft NOT the consumers! Because now this is WP only company And I will not buy any device comming from Nokia running WP!

But one thing will be sure. If Jolla release a phone they have no chance compete with Nokia N9 in the camera case not even near

We can be glad if Jolla can compete with shitty cameras like Iphone.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-07-25 at 21:26.

Originally Posted by varnikasharma03 View Post
Very true... Lenses do play a crucial part in camera's performance and yes Nokia 808 pureview 41 megapixel camera sensor phone is a great example. Nokia 808 pureview uses a proper lens that results in great picture.
PureView is alas also a very bad example as far as "pure optics" are concerned.
the biggest part of PureView is a dedicated module which process the pixels...

Nokia PureView imaging technology [...] takes every bit of image goodness captured by a 41MP sensor and Carl Zeiss lens and turns it into beautifully detailed 5MP images and Full HD videos.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Yeah and one good thing about Nokia was theyr good camera mobiles, not only N8/800 also N9. And that makes me angry cause now only winner on this is Microsoft NOT the consumers! Because now this is WP only company And I will not buy any device comming from Nokia running WP!

But one thing will be sure. If Jolla release a phone they have no chance compete with Nokia N9 in the camera case not even near

a lot of companys deal with Sony to make their lense on their cameras. like apple, on the iphone. im sure jolla could get Sony to help with the lense, it should be just as good, also, considering Sony has used carl zeiss before on some of their cameras.

as far as im conserned, the n9s camera is just as good as the 4s.

edit: Nokia isnt the only manufacture that has rights to use carl zeiss im pretty sure..

hi mikecomputing,

to be fair, the camera on the iphone isn't shitty: i've seen "top" androids with worse picture quality. and, if you aren't in the R&D team of jolla, you cannot know what we could expect.

cheers,
no_nuke

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by no_nuke View Post
hi mikecomputing,

to be fair, the camera on the iphone isn't shitty: i've seen "top" androids with worse picture quality. and, if you aren't in the R&D team of jolla, you cannot know what we could expect.

cheers,
no_nuke
yep I know there is android also that is less good.

Problem is making good optimized drivers and camera takes time and manpower. Jolla has around totally 50 engineers and hopes to have 100 in end of year. Just I wild guess: but it isn't unbelivible too say Nokia has > 50 engineers working ONLY with the camera stack on theyr upcoming WP phones (excluding Pureview team)...

However I guess this is a bit offopic to main question about Carl Zeiss but in that case I agree with first person I replyed. Its not only about the lens its also optimizing etc... But right now I think N9 will have better camera than upcoming jolla. We can only hope...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-07-25 at 22:04.

yep I know there is android also that is less good.

Problem is making good optimized drivers and camera takes time and manpower. Jolla has around totally 50 engineers and hopes to have 100 in end of year. Just I wild guess: but it isn't unbelivible too say Nokia has > 50 engineers working ONLY with the camera stack on theyr upcoming WP phones...

However I guess this is a bit offopic to main question about Carl Zeiss but in that case I agree with first person I replyed. Its not only about the lens its also optimizing etc... But right now I think N9 will have better camera than upcoming jolla. We can only hope...
now i'm also OT. everytime i read posts like this, still can't believe they trashed harmattan/meego. what a diamond thrown away.

hope it will (camera) be at least par with N9.

cheers,
no_nuke

The Following User Says Thank You to no_nuke For This Useful Post: