Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Also, after every major update, we would have to pay again (or face aging, closed and proprietary system, more and more vulnerable to spambot attacks and other threats).
According to their website the fee provides free updates for the same version. If they support past versions well there shouldn't be a compelling reason to upgrade.

Then again the latest 3.8 (tmo claims to be 3.8.2 in the footer) is 3.8.7, released just over 16 months ago according to wikipedia, which that doesn't look too good support-wise.

Last but not least, it's little ridiculous, that Community focused so much on FOSS use closed, proprietary engine for forum.
Agreed, both for philosophical and practical reasons.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr View Post
you pick :

* forge dump
* mailing lists
* wiki
* etc

A such archive would cost nothing to do and could be future proof ...

I agree the web was not designed for tarballs ... but I'd be pleased to know that in a decade a such information could be available ... and in a optimist view , in case if earth would be devastated ( by wp8 selop or any un/natural disaster) I am sure a higher intelligence form would deserve this brilliant accomplishment....
there have been a number of brilliant inventions before the N900 or even Maemo.
not all as poorly managed, but still, eventually relegated to the care of (sweet) memories.
the N900 is one of a kind right now, but acting like it is the last thing humanity would ever have needed (when hardly anyone even knows about it) is somewhat over dramatizing.

what's really worrisome is that a member of Council could take (seriously?) part in such a discussion

Posts: 1,348 | Thanked: 1,863 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ fr/35/rennes
i guess this topic will be discussed on next meeting ? When ?

Let me suggest to add a plan to backup the wiki and release a such archive ? are there some legal issues ?

https://purl.org/rzr/abandonware

Please help to list all maemo existing apps :

https://github.com/abandonware/aband...ment-578143760

https://wiki.maemo.org/Apps#

I am looking for " 4 inch TFT LCD display screen " for Nokia n950 HandSet

http://rzr.online.fr/q/lcd

Also, I need online storage to archive files :

http://db.tt/gn5Qffd6#

https://my.pcloud.com/#page=register...e=g8ikZmcfEJy#

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to www.rzr.online.fr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
For those not on the Community mailing list, a Draft Bylaws for "Maemo Non-Profit Entity" document has been posted. The accompanying email can be found here:
http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...ly/005552.html

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kate View Post
I Checked the X-Fade's situation. He has contract with Nemein, that is subcontractor to Nokia for maemo.org maintenance. I asked today from Nemein management about his situation and they said that he is still main contact for maemo.org maintenance.

Kate
Kate,

do you (or anyone else?) have access to the downloads volumes of the repositories?
TMO is cute & all, but... the community could survive without it or with a skinned down version (IRC and mailing-list)
the repositories are the meat of the matter, so to speak.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
Don't know if this is the best place to put this but, could Jolla takeover Maemo.org from Nokia?

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by automagic68 View Post
Don't know if this is the best place to put this but, could Jolla takeover Maemo.org from Nokia?
Absolutely not.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
On a note sent to us by Quim Gil, he has confirmed that we could use maemo.org domain for future community site:

"Nokia is happy to transfer the maemo.org domain to an organization entitled to receive it. I just got the confirmation today. Now it’s up to you to decide who / when."

This is great news as it will ease the transition to self sustained infrastructure.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
It's absolutely great news, then!

So, when we can expect referendum? I think such huge change require one.

One could say, that everyone is free to continue Maemo legacy without referendum - and that is true. Hoever, such person/group would never receive official Maemo "things", like maemo.org domain, forum database, etc. I feel, that it belongs to Community, so community (and Nokia, speaking through qgil, seems to agree) should be able to vote about agreeing to bylaws (as proposed by Council), and overall structure of foundation. After all, the latter is is going to receive things belonging to community (domain, databases, etc).

Especially, that there are few controversial things considering bylaws - like 1-year cadence of Board, and way of managing finances.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-08-01 at 21:21.

I'm sharing the spreadsheet I'm using to keep track of applications ready for promotion, the status and whose developers I've contacted with.

As previously agreed, all applications with enough votes and free of suspicious issues that are unmaintained will be auto-promoted. However we will need someone to do the promotion and, as you already know, our maintenance muscle is right now almost non existent.

In order to start the migration to self sustained infrastructure process, the Council contacted with X-Fade a few weeks ago, trying to obtain some administrative rights over current infrastructure. This way we would be able to improve our current maintenance status and start gathering a working group for administration tasks.

He agreed to grant the administrative rights to the repository web interface to merlin1991, as a first step in the handover process. Now we are just waiting him to actually give merlin1991 that permission so he could start doing some maintenance tasks on Fremantle repositories.

Once we have at least one administrator we could start tasks like this one for promotion of packages.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:

Tags
goodbye nokia, responsibility