Notices

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on May 2011 @ sudan
Hi folks ,

i started to learn some programming languages (i do love programming ) but the thing is i don't know what language to start with , so i get some books about java and python , actually am doing great on those two .

I need ur experience on this field , i wanna some advices about what books can turn me from noob to professional ,

also i do need to know what applications and plugins i can use to write & compile the programs
am using PyGTKeditor , nano and ipython to do this !
But it so bad when dealing with the java applications !!!!

thanks in advance !

som3a ,,

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by som3a View Post
Hi folks ,

i started to learn some programming languages (i do love programming ) but the thing is i don't know what language to start with , so i get some books about java and python , actually am doing great on those two .

I need ur experience on this field , i wanna some advices about what books can turn me from noob to professional ,

also i do need to know what applications and plugins i can use to write & compile the programs
am using PyGTKeditor , nano and ipython to do this !
But it so bad when dealing with the java applications !!!!

thanks in advance !

som3a ,,
I'd suggest C++ and Qt/QML.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Python is very good since it is well integrated in the system, if you need to do faster programs then you need to download and install scratchbox and work with C ( =Gnu C Compiler )

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
You can also connect to you N900 over (local) network with ssh (you can use Putty for this on Windows) and use a CLI editor (vi, vim, nano,...) with a big window on you computers screen + real keyboard to edit the files on your N900.

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
You can also connect to you N900 over (local) network with ssh (you can use Putty for this on Windows) and use a CLI editor (vi, vim, nano,...) with a big window on you computers screen + real keyboard to edit the files on your N900.
thanks but i do want to use my n900 not by a PC,

Originally Posted by electroaudio View Post
Python is very good since it is well integrated in the system, if you need to do faster programs then you need to download and install scratchbox and work with C ( =Gnu C Compiler )
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
I'd suggest C++ and Qt/QML.

i see u all suggestsing me learn C,C++ and Qt/QML ,, can u give me links to start with ,
i will complete python and start in C,C++

can i write programs by those languages in n900, if yes what applications do i have to get

The Following User Says Thank You to som3a For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by som3a View Post
thanks but i do want to use my n900 not by a PC,

i see u all suggestsing me learn C,C++ and Qt/QML ,, can u give me links to start with ,
i will complete python and start in C,C++

can i write programs by those languages in n900, if yes what applications do i have to get
You can get very far with only python and when you know how the n900 works in python then you also know what you need for learning C ,but it isnt necessary to learn C unless you are going to do stuff that really needs the speed.
Personally i have used PyGTKeditor, it is very simple but fits me very well, but you can use which texteditor you want, pythonprograms are just textdocuments.

Beginners guide:
http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/2...n-for-newbies/

PyGTK tutorial, very good reference.
http://learngtk.org/pygtk-tutorial/

Some N900 specific addons to GTK
http://wiki.maemo.org/PyMaemo/UI_tutorial

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by electroaudio View Post
You can get very far with only python and when you know how the n900 works in python then you also know what you need for learning C ,but it isnt necessary to learn C unless you are going to do stuff that really needs the speed.
Personally i have used PyGTKeditor, it is very simple but fits me very well, but you can use which texteditor you want, pythonprograms are just textdocuments.

Beginners guide:
http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/2...n-for-newbies/

PyGTK tutorial, very good reference.
http://learngtk.org/pygtk-tutorial/

Some N900 specific addons to GTK
http://wiki.maemo.org/PyMaemo/UI_tutorial

really thanks ,, was a helpful post !
u say that , i have to master the python then go to C , ?

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Jeddah,Saudi Arabia
hi all,
thanx for this thread.
i also love programming and want to develope/design/make programes but i m totally noob.I m a good user of electronics(N900,PC,etc.) but totally zero in programming.
I m also familiar with BASIC (an old programming language ),i mean while,if,input,for,next,etc statements and loops.
I want to know which programming language i should start with.
(My first Programming Language???)
I searched alot in google but doesnt find anything helpful.
there are many best developers in MAEMO.ORG therefore i poste here to get some help about my carrier so Please help me all & give me suggestions
God bless us all (either some1 help me or no1 )
Thanx in Advance

Last edited by unexpected; 2012-08-13 at 18:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to unexpected For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
I m also familiar with BASIC (an old programming language ),i mean while,if,input,for,next,etc statements and loops.
I want to know which programming language i should start with.
(My first Programming Language???)
Python is quite similar to Basic (and Pascal) in its syntax without any unnecessary brackets, semicolons, etc. Some people even call it "executable pseudocode".

See one of the posts above for nice Python programming examples.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post: