Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by sup View Post
So do I understand it correctly that the only working gui right now is gtk one? Set up as per #566 ?
Nope, the internal gui is working too and is my prefered one.

You can activate it in the navit.xml shipped with the latest version.

CU Michael

The Following User Says Thank You to magic_doc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by magic_doc View Post
Nope, the internal gui is working too and is my prefered one.

You can activate it in the navit.xml shipped with the latest version.

CU Michael
Oh, now I se I was confused. There are two settings:
1. graphics type, where only gtk_drawing_area is working, right? What would be the benefit of qt_painter, would it be faster?

2. gui type with options qml, internal and gtk. Internal is the only working for me. Would qml be better, if qt_painter worked, or is there no conection?

The Following User Says Thank You to sup For This Useful Post:
As I am next to my computer and not in a car, I have not tried navit in practice yet, so I have a couple practical questions also:

1) Is it possible to display the speed of the vehicle from GPS? I cannot find anything in the settings. As I am indoors, GPS is not locked, so I do not know if it changes then.

2) How sound and directions work? I set a destination and set my position (not through GPS but manually, GPS is not locked), the route gets displayed, but I cannot find directions anywhere and the phone does not speak.
I found in this thread the following speech.xml content I am using.
Code:
<speech type="cmdline" data="echo '%s' | espeak -ven-us+f2" cps="1"/>
Navit does not complain, but is there a way to test the speech without actually driving around?

3) Is it possible to turn off points of interests from view? There are so many in my city (Prague) that I can only barely see the roads underneath them.

4) And the last one. If I take a wrong turn, does it reroute itself automatically?

As I am next to my computer and not in a car, I have not tried navit in practice yet, so I have a couple practical questions also:

1) Is it possible to display the speed of the vehicle from GPS? I cannot find anything in the settings. As I am indoors, GPS is not locked, so I do not know if it changes then.

2) How sound and directions work? I set a destination and set my position (not through GPS but manually, GPS is not locked), the route gets displayed, but I cannot find directions anywhere and the phone does not speak.
I found in this thread the following speech.xml content I am using.
Code:
<speech type="cmdline" data="echo '%s' | espeak -ven-us+f2" cps="1"/>
Navit does not complain, but is there a way to test the speech without actually driving around?

3) Is it possible to turn off points of interests from view? There are so many in my city (Prague) that I can only barely see the roads underneath them.

4) And the last one. If I take a wrong turn, does it reroute itself automatically?
Well, I dug into this a little.

1) Yes, OSD must be configured for this.

2) Sound still does not work for me. OSD must be configured directions. See below for example.

3) I believe it is possible. Have a look here. Items in navit.xml called itemgra can be deleted and then they are not shown. I think, I actually did not try this.

4) Yes, it does.

Anyway, what I learnt is that one needs to look up the navit wiki, even though the information there sometimes does not seem to be correct (i.e. scale layout item does not work for me).

I went ahead and created an updated layout based on layouts for N770-810. I attach the neccesary files. I created custom 72x72 icons, they need to be extracted into /opt/navit/share/navit/xpm/

OSD.xml is based on files here (mainly the third one). navit.xml is modified from the version by the user arne.anka form post #566 of this forum. The changes are mainly to lines beginning: "<navit" (I changed the default gps position, lowered initial zoom level, orientation follows vehicle, zoom is adjusted according to the vehicle's speed and and it starts in 3D) and "<gui type" (it stars in fullscreen). The documentation to that is here

However, I still do not understand why sound does not work. What is your working configuration (both navit.xml and speech.xml?)
Attached Files
File Type: zip navit.zip (54.8 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by sup; 2012-08-19 at 19:30.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sup For This Useful Post:
Oh, now I se I was confused. There are two settings:
1. graphics type, where only gtk_drawing_area is working, right? What would be the benefit of qt_painter, would it be faster?

2. gui type with options qml, internal and gtk. Internal is the only working for me. Would qml be better, if qt_painter worked, or is there no conection?
Shure qt_painter with qml would be faster, but rdorsch which compiles the packages cannot do it due to a bug that isn't fixed yet (and probably never will be) .
You can look up details in this thread not long ago if you're interested.

Cheers, Michael

Originally Posted by magic_doc View Post
Shure qt_painter with qml would be faster, but rdorsch which compiles the packages cannot do it due to a bug that isn't fixed yet (and probably never will be) .
You can look up details in this thread not long ago if you're interested.

Cheers, Michael
Well, a pity but it is still usable.

I have seen that you posted about making sound work with navit. I tried to replicate it but with no success. Do I understand it correctly that your speech.xml is as follows:

Code:
<speech type="cmdline" data="espeak -vde+m2+croak '%s'" cps="10"/>
(i.e. nothing else is there)

and the relevant snippet in navit.xml is:
Code:
		<speech type="espeak" enabled="no"/>

<xi:include href="/home/user/.navit/speech.xml"/>
It does not work for me and I do not know what is wrong. How often navit actually speaks?

Well, a pity but it is still usable.

I have seen that you posted about making sound work with navit. I tried to replicate it but with no success. Do I understand it correctly that your speech.xml is as follows:

Code:
<speech type="cmdline" data="espeak -vde+m2+croak '%s'" cps="10"/>
(i.e. nothing else is there)

Code:

It does not work for me and I do not know what is wrong. How often navit actually speaks?
Yes, just testet it with rdorsch's latest navit-build, the above config works for me.
In my case, navit speaks when I start routing i.e. "turn right in 100m" or something.
Is your espeak working properly? You can test it in the terminal with
Code:
espeak -vde+m2+croak 'hello' cps="10"
for example.

HTH & CU Michael

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy

Code:

try <speech type="espeak" enabled="yes"/>

should work

ps: i have also a speaker icon on my OSD, to enable/disable the speech by tapping on it

The Following User Says Thank You to gianko For This Useful Post:
Gianko: yes, I have that too. Even though I didn't make it so that the icon would indicate whether sonud is off or not (speaker_toggle or how it is named does not work).

I actually tried it outside yesterday and as soon as it locked GPS position, it started to speak. Apparently, it does not speak when GPS is not locked.

Only I have the phone set to Czech interface and wanted navit so speak English - the result is it reads Czech instructions with english accent, which is barely understandable. I have to found out how to make it speak english proper.

So I fiddled with it some more and now it speaks as it should. I needed to set environment language to english for navit. I created navit_en in /usr/bin:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
export LC_ALL="en_GB.utf8"
navit
export LC_ALL="cs_CZ.UTF-8"
And made it executable.

And then I made a shortcut . Editing navit .desktop file for some reason did not work.

I also made adjustments to my OSD layout and not I think it works well. I now use 96x96 icons, as they are large so one can better use them while driving. I added clock and I made speed bigger and without units (as I know it is in km/h, I am interested in the number. See attached screenshot.

Anyway, I am attaching my working setup now (just download it and unzip to .navit/ ).
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip navit.zip (26.8 KB, 231 views)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sup For This Useful Post:

Tags
navigation, navit, nokia n900, openstreetmap