Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Looks great, I wonder if the hinge was better than the N950's or the same.
What is the hinge like in N950, then? I had E7 before my current N9 and the mechanics of that phone are quite good; the hinge is sturdy yet lightweight.

Looking at the pictures of RM-742 it looks pretty much the mechanical design is similar to E7, about 4mm thicket than N9 and maybe slightly heavier.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by joelsk View Post
If a lumia comes out in this form, I'd get it.
Then gut it and transplant the N9 internals.
Would be worth it since they're practically giving away the lumias.s
Not a bad idea actually, provided the N9 board fits in the upper part of the body. (and I guess there is good chance it does, no sense wasting mechanical design effort when the work has already been done before...)

Originally Posted by wook_sf View Post
what about keyboard module?
Well, one way to do it would be to use internals of a BT keyboard and fit the stuff needed in the lower part of the housing.

However, I think it is doable to interface the keyboard directly to N9 board. Now this is not definite information as I do not really know the design details of N9/N950, but as the devices use the same chipsets there is definitely a place in N9 where you can wire up i2c-connected keyboard. Maybe it's even got test pads you could easily solder the leads to, but surely it can be connected directly to input pins if nothing else is available.

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Banyuwangi, Indonesia
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
how the Hell could we possibly know?
and does it matter that much tbh?
I'm not insisting anyone here to answer my question...

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
I *think* it may be one of experimental boards before final N950 design which were used to study stability and convenience of the folding mechanism.

There have been several approaches, with flat edges and few like this one, as you can see in E7 and N950. In the end, it should have been inconvenient to type on it as your fingers were pressing the sharp spikes at the edges and causing pain in the longer usability tests.

Last edited by abbra; 2012-09-05 at 06:22.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abbra For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by szymeczek34 View Post
Nah, I doubt that. People don't want keyboards anymore, that's why no company produces any.
Baseless claim.

Here's from a Nokia poll that has some base to come with a claim:

Edit: poll source here.

People don't decide what companies produce, the profit margin does. It's mechanically challenging to make a good keyboard without making a device thicker, and companies just don't bother to try.

If all else were alike, many people would choose to have a keyboard. All else isn't like, keyboard models have weaker hardware, fatter bodies, fewer designs, higher price. A product like this one that still look acceptable (and there wasn't really any much comparable same-platform hardware to look weaker than) would have scored a bunch of sales, including mine.

Last edited by volt; 2012-09-05 at 06:50.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by abbra View Post
I *think* it may be one of experimental boards before final N950 design which were used to study stability and convenience of the folding mechanism.
Nope.

The orginal article mentions that it has same internals as N9. N950 was older design than N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
What a shame. I guarantee that I would have bought this device if it was released, even if it only came in that hideous magenta colour

Only slight problem would be the name "Lauta", reminds me of 'louya' or lousy in a certain dialect of the Chinese language
Otherwise, it's great

Last edited by eaglehelang; 2012-09-05 at 14:25.

Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
What a shame. I guarantee that I would have bought this device if it was released, even if it only came in that hideous magenta colour
One of the articles floating here on TMO states the two colored version is an inhouse testing device and it would probably come in one color, the colors we already released with the N9.

Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

Originally Posted by szymeczek34 View Post
The world is not mad, it's stupid. People already forgot how it was to write on a hardware keyboard. Just like Jobs told them that Iphone with a touchscreen is better, someone has to say it about keyboards. People just don't know they want it.
Here's hoping for full touchscreen controllers on PS4