Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
@flop
No, you didn't comprehend it. The SGS3 is considered a big phone, and the Note is both wider and longer than it. However, its actually not too wide that it doesn't fit into pockets. I use a cover and it still fits into every pocket I have because I don't dress like a metro with skinnies.
Your comment makes it sound like the Note doesn't fit into the average pocket, or the average head which is not true. Though you can argue it doesn't fit to average hands.
Note 1 :
1) It might not fit into ladies pants pockets, it's designed to be smaller and more shallow than men's pockets
2) It also might not fit into average pockets of Asians, smaller height & size
3) It is most certainly very large for the average Asian hand to hold if one wants to use it single handed.
Note 2 I havent seen, not released yet in my country.

The Following User Says Thank You to eaglehelang For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
I was once considering to buy a note, because I'm a big fan of stylus input. I eventually decided against it because:
- Wacom+Capacitive is not the same as a resistive screen. You get the worst from capacitive (too sensitive) and the worst from Wacom (non-uniform sensitivity in the borders), and you still can't use the screen with nails or any other objects. So if you are looking for a replacement of a resistive screen -- it won't do for you.
- Android sucks. Even totally broken WP looks better to me. If you're coming from a N900 you will surely miss multitasking.
- Battery life reviews putting it worse than N900.
- Too thin (very very fragile-looking, enough to get me stressed about the idea of putting in my pockets).
- Price.
(I eventually bought a N9).

By the way, the Note 2 does look like another iPhone to me.... I ponder when will they stop using butt ugly Apple-like rounded corners.
Nothing will beat resistive but resistive was killed by iPhones going so heavily to capacitive and everyone followed. Ah well. Ive used the Note's screen and it is very good with the pen. Yeah not as good as resistive but oh well.

Android doesn't suck. It has multi-tasking that works very well. Jumping from an N900 to an N9 then to a Galaxy Nexus. Yeah I miss the Swipe UI but I have gotten used to Android and I do like it alot! Its customisable there's heavy community development and Google actually supports Android unlike friggin Nokia..

Too thin is just a joke. The devices don't bend, your just picking at anything you can to put the device down now :P

They don't bend, snap, crack from going into pockets.. You think Samsung or any top phone manufacturer would release a phone that can't stand in and out of pocket use? No..

At release even the N9 was OVERPRICED!

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
@Javispedro are your fingertips hydrated enough? I can proficiently operate the capacitative screen of my Note 1 with finger nails if I want to. I have tested all 10 of them. Might be you should drink more water, and eat your vegetables? ;-)
Seriously, I don't have any problem with the stylus, not even near screen edges. Maybe you tested a slightly defective unit, or more recent firmwares have better performance.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
@Javispedro are your fingertips hydrated enough? I can proficiently operate the capacitative screen of my Note 1 with finger nails if I want to.
It's funny that you were to say this. At this moment I'm at my office surrounded by 2 empty 1.5 liter bottles of water, and a 3rd one which is half-empty already, and thinking about going to buy another 6-pack.
People that don't know me often think that I drink a dangerous amount of water.

And no, I can't use my nails.

Originally Posted by godofwar424
Android doesn't suck. It has multi-tasking that works very well.
Well, I don't want to troll, but Android doesn't have multitasking. Randomly switching between the builtin RSS/Google reader app and the browser app sometimes causes one of the two to lose its state. Losing the browser app's state means reloading all tabs. A total bummer if I just went outside of the range of Wi-Fi with some selection of ~50 tabs that I was going to read.
If the browser app hangs (and I can make it hang by just tapping on a HTML5 video without a active connection) then I cannot switch out of the task until the Not responding prompt shows up (and it DOES take its time).
You cannot really open more than one window for an app. Sometimes I've resorted to using two IM apps in order to have two IM windows open...
You cannot really force an application to go back to the initial state (which can be done with close & relaunch on true multitasking platforms and a plain relaunch on WP). The Google guidelines now mandate an extraneous additional totally non-discoverable "back button" in the top-left corner of the UI (apart from the hardware one) to try and fix this issue, but I find it a poor replacement and is not even implement on all of Google's own apps.
It is not guaranteed for an application to simply put, continue doing what it is doing when it is backgrounded. Sometimes they do. Sometimes they do not. Sometimes they do but they do NOT appear in the "open apps" list which appears under settings (what does it exactly list?). No logic at all. Same when suspending.
The entire system is designed with this monotasking in mind (global back button, "activities" concept, "recent apps" instead of "open apps", etc.).

I hate it. Now, you might say that monotasking works for you. Which I understand, because I've been there, as a 10-year user of PalmOS devices (they were technically "multitasking" too). But if you come from a N900 background, you will face a _big_ time getting used to this crap, and I must warn that for some weeks you will keep on trying to do things that were taken for granted on the N900 or even on the N9.
If you get used to it -- perfect.
If you don't, then you will spend all the time cursing the damn thing all while thinking why should I force me through this clearly inferior solution (specially having already done ONCE the opposite transition -- from PalmOS to a Nokia Internet Tablet).

</rant>.

Last edited by javispedro; 2012-09-05 at 15:59.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Not gonna quote your entire post.

But yeah, I see what you mean by not true multi-tasking. Also what works for some doesn't for others. For me though, it gets the job done.

Im sure itl'l be improved in a future release, and that's my reason for liking Android atm, it has a company backing it, as much as I love what the community did with the N900, it would have been a hell of a lot better if Nokia had worked with us! Things that we legally couldn't modify they would be able to ect.

Also I haven't seen any major flaws with android compared to my N9. Besides missing the swipe UI I have my needed apps (like 10 :P) also my double tap the screen to get to lockscreen is there. Nice battery life and solid performance. Tbh there isn't much more I expected from this Nexus and I am happy with it.

When I got my N9 I was happy but disappointed as I felt it wasn't anywhere near what it could have been if Nokia had just kept at it! But that's life. I will see how Jolla pan out but as it stands Android is perfectly suitable to replace my N9 as my daily phone

PS. The N9 still gets a good playing with when I am at home, I need my terminal fix otherwise ill feel depressed

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
You can also chroot Ubuntu and get a fairly featured experience.
As my N900 is slowly dying with more and more no-simcard-errors I'm looking for a replacement. Thus I have a few questions regarding chroot on a Galaxy Note:
  • Can I switch between the chroot and normal android apps without the chroot shutting down?
  • Does networking from chroot over 3G and WLAN work?
  • Inside the chroot there should be full multitasking, right?
  • Do bluetooth keyboard and mouse work in the chroot environment?
  • Is chrooting on an Galaxy Note limited in any way compared to the easy debian method on the N900?
  • How does running a chroot affect battery life?

I guess right now support for the Galaxy Note N7000 is better than support fort the Galaxy Note II N7100. But I suppose that will change soon and 2 GB of RAM and a quad core processor over 1 GB and dual core should be reason enough to choose the N7100 over the N7000.

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
My N900 is slowly dying as well (phone-use wise)

I have the N9 but it's not the same experience.
waiting for an awesome Jolla qwerty masterpiece! (I hope)

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by berny View Post
As my N900 is slowly dying with more and more no-simcard-errors I'm looking for a replacement. Thus I have a few questions regarding chroot on a Galaxy Note:
  • Can I switch between the chroot and normal android apps without the chroot shutting down?
  • Does networking from chroot over 3G and WLAN work?
  • Inside the chroot there should be full multitasking, right?
  • Do bluetooth keyboard and mouse work in the chroot environment?
  • Is chrooting on an Galaxy Note limited in any way compared to the easy debian method on the N900?
  • How does running a chroot affect battery life?

I guess right now support for the Galaxy Note N7000 is better than support fort the Galaxy Note II N7100. But I suppose that will change soon and 2 GB of RAM and a quad core processor over 1 GB and dual core should be reason enough to choose the N7100 over the N7000.
You can switch without shutting down.
Networking works with either connection.
Inside the chroot you get full multitasking, yes, just like in easy Debian.
I didn't try Bluetooth devices, and so cannot comment on them.
It works more or less like easy Debian, but it is less advanced in it's interface, because so far you first manually start your chroot, then manually open VNC and operate inside; also, you haven't direct icons in your Android app drawer to open single Debian apps.
And, concerning battery life, in my own experience it does not seem affected at all. Keeping Debian or Ubuntu open in the background doesn't use that many CPU cycles unless you are running heavy programs inside.

Last edited by debernardis; 2012-10-08 at 18:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Romania
I had a N 900 and now I use a Note 1. I gave up my N900 for Toshiba TG01, but this was an awful experience from my beautiful N900. Being a Toshiba fan (I own a laptop from them as well) when they released the first android tablet I enjoyed the idea of all the bells and whistles, but I realized very fast that 10" was to big for me (while watching the movies I had to make the player screen smaller). I was a bit worried in the beginning about the size, but to be honest I want a bit more but 5.5 is not enough. My ideal size would be 5.8-6" now for the biggest smartphone LOL. Well may be I will get a nexus 7 in the end.
Note is god to replace the smartphone and the tablet as well. i need bigger screen only for 2 page scanned pdf files an a bit of comfort while reading this type of document.
It is not awkward to use it as a phone as well, although I prefer to use headphones.
It is a good size to take it with you everywhere. It has a great developers community. At the moment I use Rocket Rom ics with a bit of jelly bean of flavor (which I love).
From my point of view, if you don't need higher ram and processor the next difference between note 1 and 2 is default jelly bean and for sure future upgrades you can buy as well a Note 1 for a cheaper price and upgrade if you like it to Note 3!

Originally Posted by maverick788us View Post
With my N900 slowly fading, being a headphone killer it has killed 3 of my headphones. The latest casualty is the Nokia BH 905. I am searching for a new powerful device that is future proof for atleast 3-4 years. I am always a big screen fan and I always use my smartphone for daily purposes like

1) GPS
2) Internet
3) Music
4) Taking immediate notes and
5) Sometimes watching videos

Should I throw my money on Galaxy Note-2 that will be released sometime by the end of September? I don't like the look of Galaxy S3.

I usually prefer WP8 over Android devices. But time is running short, don't know how much more time next generation Lumias (920 and 820) will be available in market. If these devices take 2-3 months, I can't wait that long.

So what is your openion on GS Note-2?

I'm right now looking to purchase a NOTE-2.

It's going to be a present, but I'm looking for some "hands on" time with it first.

I'm flattered