Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by neomarky View Post
help..!
i cant install pali's uboot.. it said "unable to install uboot tools incompatible application package.."
am i missing something..? Tia..
Yes, you are missing something. You did not read the first post where the installation instructions are given.

Plus, *we* are missing something from you, namely the exact (error) output when you run dpkg to install u-boot.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by reinob View Post

Meaning whatever you break on the rootfs (as well as the kernel partition) you can always flash again, that is, assuming that your USB port is working OK
If the USB port actually worked, I wouldn't have to go through all of this just to reflash the kernel .

I just tried using flasher built into the n900 image by adding it to a custom boot script (keymap doesn't let me type the dash symbol). I'm getting "Unable to enumerate USB ports" or something of that sort. I'm probably missing modules of some kind (phonet? As that seems to be what makes flasher on PCs work). Will try to modprobe that and see...

The Following User Says Thank You to aeon_light For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by neomarky View Post
help..!
i cant install pali's uboot.. it said "unable to install uboot tools incompatible application package.."
am i missing something..? Tia..
Don't use application manager. Install it from the commandline using dpkg.

The Following User Says Thank You to mongrol For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mongrol View Post
Don't use application manager. Install it from the commandline using dpkg.
you're right i did use HAM.. it's working now.. thank you for your help..

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by aeon_light View Post
If the USB port actually worked, I wouldn't have to go through all of this just to reflash the kernel .

I just tried using flasher built into the n900 image by adding it to a custom boot script (keymap doesn't let me type the dash symbol). I'm getting "Unable to enumerate USB ports" or something of that sort. I'm probably missing modules of some kind (phonet? As that seems to be what makes flasher on PCs work). Will try to modprobe that and see...
AFAIK the way to locally flash a kernel is

Code:
softupd --local & flasher -k image --local -f
(see http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=922006&postcount=4)

[ OR, have a look at the postint script for kernel-flasher or kernel-power-flasher. Can't do that at the moment (work PC) ]

Good luck!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
How can I use u-boot with ext4 MyDocs partition? u-boot-update-bootmenu says that i need fat32 MyDocs partition

The Following User Says Thank You to ExLuzZziVo For This Useful Post:

Code:

[ OR, have a look at the postint script for kernel-flasher or kernel-power-flasher. Can't do that at the moment (work PC) ]

Good luck!
I got "could not connect to 127.0.0.1" before the execution of flasher when using softupd - after which flasher came up with the same error. Kernel-power-flasher's postinit uses fiasco-image-update in sbin, which might work better, but I'm actually a bit hesitant to flash the kernel directly from the script without enabling R&D mode and turning off the watchdogs first, since this could result in the N900 getting shut down by the watchdog in the middle of a flash, which would leave me with no way to back out without fixing the USB port.

Edit 1: fiasco-image-update is apparently just a script running the commands from before. Oh well. I'm probably still just missing some module that it expects to be loaded... Well, that or a script that's supposed to be run after preinit.

Edit 2: Can I flash a kernel locally from a chroot? (Say, I started RescueOS, extracted a rootfs backup to what would be my /home directory on the N900, mount all necessary dev, sys, and tmpfs stuff and then chroot and flash.)

Last edited by aeon_light; 2012-09-08 at 04:09.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon_light For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia

Code:

Good luck!
You need also loopback device to flash locally.

Correct script is shown here : http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1102

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post:
Here is bootmenu item file for rescue os:

Code:
ITEM_NAME="RescueOS"
ITEM_KERNEL="2.6.37"
ITEM_INITRD="rescueOS-initrd-0.5.3.img"
ITEM_CMDLINE="rootdelay root=/dev/ram0"
ITEM_OMAPATAG="1"
EDIT:
Above file was edited. Store rescue os files to /boot and run:
$ u-boot-update-bootmenu

Last edited by pali; 2012-09-11 at 20:11.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Pali,

Just to be sure: I can remove the images from /boot once images are generated in /home/user/MyDocs/bootmenu.img.d after the u-boot-update-bootmenu command? Especially the rescueOS image eats too much from my rootfs....

Tags
bootmenu, u-boot