Poll: Which NFP name(s) do you prefer?
Poll Options
Which NFP name(s) do you prefer?

Changing domain names from Maemo to something else will happen anyway. That shouldn't be a problem.

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Changing domain names from Maemo to something else will happen anyway. That shouldn't be a problem.
not at all, that's one of the main reasons for all that legalese and foundation stuff: some entity that can handle responsibility for maemo.org domain (and other stuff where Nokia wants to see some limitations regarding usage enforced, like no commercial usage). Council couldn't sign contracts assuring these fair use conditions to Nokia, that's why we need a legal entity.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2012-09-09 at 18:30.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
I mean, having a foundation is good, but I don't see how it relates to anything from Nokia, if domain names will be different. Just don't use any Nokia's owned names and you are OK. I.e. I don't see a point in keeping maemo.org as a name for the community site going forward.

Transferring the content (into some archive?) is another thing.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
For everything else we will most likely keep domain names, hell for some domains (e.g. repositories) we even mustn't change domain names, so no reason to get yourself a headache about all that. The headache will start when Nokia refuses to edit the maemo DNS entry to point to community infra servers, and then I promise name of the foundation will be our least problem ;-)
I've since spoken to a few council members now....
They're not at all averse to us having the domain name debate, & there's no technical hurdles that can't be surmounted.*
They're just against doing it as part of the transition, as it overly complicates things when they already have little time as it is.
AFTER the transition is done, we can take all the time in the the world we want to debate & finalise domain names.
Whatever it is, it needn't necessarily correlate directly to whatever the foundation name is, although that's ideal IMO.

*even if some infrastructure ultimately truly must remain at maemo.org for legal/practical reasons

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-09-20 at 09:09. Reason: clarification

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Helsinki
Meego/Tuucome? XD

The Following User Says Thank You to Rockenroller For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ beijing-islamabad
maemo5.org / maemocommunity.org ? if that sounds little different than the one nokia owns .It is simple and also explains what N900 contains .Since meego is still owned by nokia ,the guys in meego team probably should ask for something like maemo.org which is already there such as meego.com but still i never saw much of the work there.And also if they are supposed to be in ties with maemo community then probably they gonna need to stick with the name the one community chooses.Adios

The Following User Says Thank You to imo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I've since spoken to a few council members now....
They're not at all averse to us having the domain name debate, & there's no technical hurdles that can't be surmounted.
They're just against doing it as part of the transition, as it overly complicates things when they already have little time as it is.
AFTER the transition is done, we can take all the time in the the world we want to debate & finalise domain names.
Whatever it is, it needn't necessarily correlate directly to whatever the foundation name is, although that's ideal IMO.
hildon fundation it goes then?

Btw, folks at the open tablets are willing to set up forums for Mer and derivatives in mean time already on the upcoming week. These debates about TMO transition can go forever, and having something practical will be helpful.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-09-09 at 21:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
I'm definitely not willing to change all my bookmarks pointing to wiki.maemo.org and talk.maemo.org, and we simply can't change http://repository.maemo.org/extras*

I really don't see why everybody seems eager to change domain name now, it's plain stupid. Only needed if Nokia fails (fouls) badly and doesn't allow community to gain control over maemo.org domain, despite they told they would.

Honestly please take a deep breath and think about it, this is not about inventing something new, this is about sustainable service provided to existing users, with minimal disruption

Since Nokia eventually will stop to provide the hardware infrastructure (read servers), we need a legal entity that can sign contracts with server hosters and with Nokia to own the domain name 'maemo.org' (as well as a few others I guess). Then we simply move existing software/databases/whatelse to the new server hardware and change the DNS record to point to the new IP.
This whole naming debate is about the name of this legal entity called hildon foundation for now, nothing else, nothing beyond. Please re-read topic of this thread!

There are no plans I ever heard of to change maemo.org domain to something leete new we needed to invent now, it's nonsense!

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2012-09-09 at 23:12.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
This thread's not even about that (see my post above yours & many before that), for now all we're even contemplating is foundation name.
As explained new domain is way down the priority list for consideration, AFTER the transition's complete.

*EDIT*
Seems you've since "clarified" your post....

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-09-20 at 09:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
libremobile.org, manemo-maelon, theaeolosguild!, vote mos!