Active Topics

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
if you had bought a N900 then there should have been a reason to be ""nervous"".

It takes some time to get used to it.

But, the N9 is a totally different world. You'll be at home in just 10 minutes after you power it on. Yes, it's that easy!
Strange HellasisGreece, how you and many others say the N900 asks time to get used to it, even complicated, too technical etc...

The N900 was the only device in long time that I where I found most things were logically placed and that had a well thought user interface.

An Android is far more complicated to me.

N9 is equaly easy but the back arrow to return one step back in applications was (is?) a serious glitch in the UI device breaking the flow of swipe. Has this been fixed?

In the N900 one could intuitively toch a blured portion of the screen.

leoniedelt: congrats and good luck witht he new N9 , if you are talking UI experience, there is hardly better.

If your talking camera phone the 808 is different league than N9 and even N8. It even feels like you are holding a camera. Try it when you have a chance

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
ste-phan,

If you get a n900, you would need to set-up extras devel&testing, install CSSU then install CSSU thumb...

The N9 is pretty simple; start using it straight away...

Are you speaking about the back arrow in a Message Conversation? It's present only in some instances anyway...I think maybe you used it in pr1.0 or pr1.1 as I do remember reading somewhere it was fixed in pr1.2...If you tell me which one i can check it now

The capacitative screen of the n9 adds to the better usability of the n9 compared to the resistive on of the n900...I speak this as owner of both phones so if you come from another capacitative screen phone like the OP, the n9 is much much easier to get used to than the n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Birmingham, UK
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
if you had bought a N900 then there should have been a reason to be ""nervous"".

It takes some time to get used to it.

But, the N9 is a totally different world. You'll be at home in just 10 minutes after you power it on. Yes, it's that easy!
That is brilliant to hear :-) the whole swiping biz will take some getting used to - though with jelly bean i swipe to get rid of apps, so I take it there is some similarity. This dog's not too old to learn some new tricks, not yet anyway :-)

Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Strange HellasisGreece, how you and many others say the N900 asks time to get used to it, even complicated, too technical etc...

The N900 was the only device in long time that I where I found most things were logically placed and that had a well thought user interface.

An Android is far more complicated to me.

N9 is equaly easy but the back arrow to return one step back in applications was (is?) a serious glitch in the UI device breaking the flow of swipe. Has this been fixed?

In the N900 one could intuitively toch a blured portion of the screen.

leoniedelt: congrats and good luck witht he new N9 , if you are talking UI experience, there is hardly better.

If your talking camera phone the 808 is different league than N9 and even N8. It even feels like you are holding a camera. Try it when you have a chance
Oh, android is simple enough, to me. Not used it on phones but have had three tablets with froyo, honeycomb and now jellybean on (am on the nexus now). Its nice to look at but lacks the something, that makes even Symbian feel like a real o/s, iykwim. Android just seems hollow. I don't know.

The only way to try an 808 is to buy one. Won't get one anywhere in the UK and I don't know anyone who pursues, erm, unique ux type phones. Most people are apple sheeple or android sheeple as its the only viable alternative. No n9s or 808s in phone shops to try :/ shame, that.

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ london
also since you already bought the n9 its abit late to say this but the hotspot feature dosent work with the nexus 7, its a fault with the android side.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by leoniedelt View Post
Getting ahold of the 808 will only be possible if i buy it :/

The.one89's cfws are always the ones i have used on my N8, for the last year or so. His camera mods are superb and he is great at stripping the bloat out of the fw but leaving the functionality.

Argh, its a tough decision! :/
Not true.. You can trial Nokia devices (with a reason provided though)... Search for Nokia Connect Program.. And I highly suggest you try the 808 pureview! I didn't want to send it back when I trialled it..

Originally Posted by bandora View Post
Not true.. You can trial Nokia devices (with a reason provided though)... Search for Nokia Connect Program.. And I highly suggest you try the 808 pureview! I didn't want to send it back when I trialled it..
Its okay, I know the BlueVPN workaround will work with the N9. More importantly, i get 500mb on my monthly allowance and the Nexus7 frequently uses 4gb+ per month... i wouldnt want to connect it to my phone, i'd pay through the nose for it! But, i do want a phone that is a bit more enjoyable than my N8.

Originally Posted by bandora View Post
Oh, brilliant! I will look it up!!!

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
If you get a n900, you would need to set-up extras devel&testing, install CSSU then install CSSU thumb...
Really? I used my N900 for at least a year before playing around with the extras-devel repository. (I still avoid getting apps from extras-devel when I can.) And I've never once bothered installing CSSU; I haven't yet found a compelling reason to do so.

I don't think there's any problem with using an N900 right out of the box, myself.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Really? I used my N900 for at least a year before playing around with the extras-devel repository. (I still avoid getting apps from extras-devel when I can.) And I've never once bothered installing CSSU; I haven't yet found a compelling reason to do so.

I don't think there's any problem with using an N900 right out of the box, myself.
Doing that means the performance improvements in the n900 that bring it up to at least 70% of the n9's wouldn't be present, isn't it?

Also the apps that are in extras-devel wouldn't be available where as on the n9 you don't do either of these and you get a solid performing device with all the apps that can be installed available from the Store or Apps4Meego for that matter...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post: